2009-11-25 11:15:10

Interesting idea.

Personally I wonder if the post was a generic "canned" message in a bot designed to seek out gaming related forums, given the world of warcraft part. I'd been looking around on RedBrick's Earthdawn forum and they had a spambot with a generic "hello" message, but didn't say anything specific about anything so this is fairly plausible to me.

I have to admit I have noticed spambots lately but have forgotten where they are lol so the posts are still to some extent still sitting there. Only a couple that I remember though, and luckily this isn't a flood at present.

I wonder if the new forum version has broken the old Fartman security system laugh. Maybe we need to get PunBB some tins of beans tongue

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-25 14:39:47

As I'm having a bit of a cookie storage problem in Ie at the moment (another story), i have to regularly reenter my username and password, ---- and the register link is just sitting there on the page.

I checked this morning by hitting register and agreeing to the tos, ---- and I got a page up asking for username E-mail address and password.

I checked the fartman page and the register link is stil there, ---- and stil appears to lead to the forum.

the upshot of all this is I think when the forum was updated, the register link went to the default setting, ---- just stuck on the forum's main page as usual.

If spam issues do become too bad we'lll have to talk to Sander about removing it again and so having the fartman link as the only place it's  available.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-11-25 15:59:30

Well it seems a testament to the new version that we haven't been excessively bombarded as yet.The amounts we've been getting are fairly manageable so far, or at least that I've noticed.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-25 18:40:41

Possibly, --- though after writing the above post I noticed another one in the general game discussion area which I subsequently banned and deleted the topic of (it was about selling disertations for some odd reason).

I fail to understand how these companies think people actually read! the adds put up by spambots popups and the like, sinse the majority of the time people will just say "oh, another bloody add" and delete it.

The only decent form of net advertising I've seen (actually getting back on track here), are the google adds, which say clearly "google adds" at the top, only appear on one part of the page, do not popup or interfere with the brouser otherwise, ---- and are in fact possibly related to what your looking at, ---- I've tried a couple of brouser games from google adds on occasion.

The yahoo version I've seen seems to plaster adds all over the place, --- and random adds too, ---- and especially if the site space is linked to yahoo, ---- yahoo adds can be a nightmare!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-11-25 23:40:54

The Yahoo ads sound scary, luckily I've not run into them. Google ad bars are reasonable though I'll agree.

If the ads are tied to the search engine it will only get worse as Yahoo moves to using Bing. Apparently Yahoo want to focus on their other resources rather than the search function. Bing has already had some bad press even not long after it was launched, not least because it let people bypass content filters by accident...

Apparently it shows a small part of video clips if you mouse over the result, to help make sure it is what you were looking for. Trouble is that this also makes it seem to come from Bing itself and didn't flag the page as adult if the video content was, there is apparently a flag in the HTML to mark pages as adult, so the filter thought it was something perfectly harmless coming from Bing itself. Major whoops.

cx2
-----

2009-11-26 04:28:38

Woopse indeed, though that does explain why I've sometimes had the odd video clip activate by mistake on me.

There are several gamebook sites i've seen, where authors have got web space from yahoo, ---- the only problem is they get literally covered in yahoo adds, which is a shame, especially when the person has something good like a gamebook to put out.

Sinse I'll be reviewing a lot of gamebooks to add to the database, ---- I'll let you know if I come across any.

2009-11-28 09:24:40

In a semi related note BBC's Click this morning reported that MS are looking to pay news sites to make their content exclusively searchable by bing, and since newspapers are feeling a pinch from the internet not paying its way for them some are quite interested. Of course the alternative possibility is that Bing will be used for news searches and news searches only, or that people will just search their favourite news sites for what they're looking for.

Another more worrying concern is this might lead to fragmentation, some sites only show up on specific search engines for example. This eventuality would be very bad, and would undermine the whole purpose of a search engine. It might help the search engine companies fuel their competition with each other though, so it may well be users who suffer as a result.

cx2
-----

2009-11-28 12:32:35

A nasty idea, ---- but as you said, this wouldn't be the first time useability of any product has been sacrificed upon the alter of capitalism, ---- pluss it'll make the job of researchers a nightmare when trying to find specific newspaper stories related to their work.

One thing does confuse me though. I would've thought that it was mostly the independent, net only newspapers which had most to gain from search engines. Surely the old established news services don't have to worry, ---- sinse if you read the guardian, news of the world or whichever newspaper, ---- your more likely to check their site for news before consulting a search engine anyway.

Then again, I admit I don't particularly use the net for news, ---- I mainly use radio or tv for that, though if a news story interests' me I'm not above looking it up on the net more specifically.

2009-11-28 17:30:25

Well the owner of one big news group, forget his name, wants to make their web sites pay for themselves. The thing with looking up stories on the newspaper web sites is you've not actually bought anything, so this would be one potential source of income. It'd also save the controversy of charging for access to the site.

cx2
-----

2009-11-29 12:29:31

I always assume thtat the websites which hosted news stories etc financed themselves with adds, and indeed with encouraging people to physically buy their paper, when they sell one.

Actually, I could see this having the precise opposite intended effect,- --- sinse why should I pay the guardian for their website, when I can probably find either an independent, or a website which offers similar news elsewhere for free, --- for instance oneof the bbc websites (I was looking up a news story on the bbc site the other day).

As for the search engine business, I personally would rather change my news site, ---- than change my search engine, ---- and sinse that search engine is google, well certain news sites would lose out on my patronage if this comes into effect.

I suspect there are lots of people who will think in a similar way, ---- afterall, people are more likely to use what they're used to, than change just to access other stuff.

Thus, if your a fan of the guardian, you'll always consult it first for news and not bother with a search engine, ---- and if your a fan of google, you'll consult it first for research.

Afterall, you can always go to the guardian website directly and do an on site search with your favourite brouser anyway.

All I can really see this doing is causing serious researchers who have to check many news sites for information and use a search engine extensively, ---- really bad headaches!

Luckily, my own research involves basically looking in lots of academic jernals, ---- which you couldn't find through google anyway, and on the occasions I have to look up a specific fact, ---- such as the actual medical criteria for mental disability or visual imparement, ---- I can use wikipedia, ---- sinse in philosophy it's not generally necessary to exhaustively reference sources for publically available information as it would be in history or law, ---- though of course, referencing academic sources is very important, --- but I wouldn't get those from a net search anyway.

2009-11-29 21:36:12

Well I gather the papers have been concerned about this for some time, since revenue from their web site isn't really as high. Also why buy a paper when you can read it online from their site for free?

Then again I tend to go to the BBC automaticallly instead. While they aren't perfect they're usually a lot less partisan than any of the ppapers tend to be.

cx2
-----

2009-11-30 13:07:23

True Cx2, though to be honest I thought paper sales was mostly on occasions where people do not have the availability of online viewing.

for instance, I went for breakfast this morning to my favouite local sandwitch shop down the street. They have no online access, ---- but a big stack of newspapers sitting on their table which can be freely read by anyone (accept me of course, ---- ;D).

2009-12-02 08:30:23

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8385342.stm

Attempts to charge for news content on the internet have begun. A woman from the Guardian even admits more money has to be found "in the market". It also mentions the Times charging for 24 hours of access some time soon.

This has been a long, long time coming. At least now we don't have to worry about when its going to hit though.

As a warning, the article first begins talking about Google's linking and search systems. Read on past that and you'll get to the bit about charging people for content.

cx2
-----