2016-07-25 22:27:21

Hello all,

I'm not going to tell you something about a new game, that's why I posted this here and not in the new release room.
However, I know that there are musicians, geeks, and people who are both at the same time here. That's why I still decided to let you know about this.
If this message is considered to be ad or spam, please tell me and don't hesitate to delete this post. I promise I won't do it again.

MidiText is a program that let you create music (MIDI files) by entering simple text-based commands.

For example, "CDEFGABc" is a C scale, and "G&B&d" a G major chord.
All available commands are of course described in the readme. You aren't limited to simple songs or chiptunes, you can make as complex music as MIDI let you write, including advanced effects.
For those who may know some of my music creations, they all have been composed with this tool.

The version number is 5, but in fact it's the first time that I really publish it since 2004. One of the main reason I didn't do it earlier is that I never have had the courage to write even a small documentation for the commands. Now it's done and I think it's time for me to no longer be « the creator of a program I'm the only one able to use it » as I heard by the few people I gave an older copy.
Another reason is that older versions up to 4.0 were made in Java with a Swing interface. Nowadays, such interfaces are quite crappy with Jaws and NVDA, and I decided to rewrite it in C++.

Features :
- Create music by entering text-based commands, in a text editor almost as simple as notepad
- Use instruments in SF2 soundbanks, possibly several at the same time
- Export your creation to WAV/OGG/MP3
- New: open any MIDI file and decompile it into its commands; no information loss
- New: connect your MIDI keyboard, record, and obtain the commands corresponding to what you played

Download here: http://demo.quentinc.net/Miditext/miditext500b.zip
Basic 28MB soundbank and 3 examples MIDI files included

IF you are interested to see how far I was able to go, I can post links to a few examples of music I made with my program, with earlier versions (2, 3 or 4).

I would be very happy to have your thoughts about my software!
If you really like it, I may think about selling it for a few dollars. I don't know really yet. Currently it's free, but at beta stage, so possibly buggy.

Thank you and have fun!

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2016-07-25 22:40:11 (edited by Haramir 2016-07-25 22:40:49)

Wow, thanks alot for this! It sort of reminds me of the easyabc software, but for what you described, it might be more friendly to deal with.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-07-26 01:22:17

wow. This seems awesome just by the description. I'll definitely try it later. And spam?  I'm not an admin, but I would hate it if someone were to delete this. LOL

2016-07-26 01:50:40

Hello! Indeed, I agree with Carter. Since this kind of thing is very useful to us, if you keep it in offline room it should be ok. Again, thanks Aminiel for the tool.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-07-26 02:49:04

this sounds like zel. Zel is a midi programming language with it looks like a lot of features this has. Just you can't decompile midi and you can't use a keyboard.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2016-07-26 09:33:46

This sounds rather interesting. No, don't delete this.

2016-07-26 23:50:20

Can you use soundfonts with bacemidi?

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2016-07-26 23:51:28

I mean can you use bacemidi and soundfonts with this program?

Bitcoin Address:

2016-07-27 01:57:30

Yes, it uses SF2 soundbanks.

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2016-07-28 01:46:17

I think this is cool, but I would still prefer zel simply because it has a concept of tracks. This thing has no track structure and thus makes it real hard to get midi done unless you're just using one instrument.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2016-07-28 02:50:53

It seems to use the sixteen MIDI channels sort of like tracks, in that when you switch to a new channel the time goes back to the beginning.

Where I can see this as being very useful to someone who already knows ZEL is that with this, you can do very quick prototyping/proof of concept things, since a single keystroke lets you check your work to make sure it sounds the way you intended. Also, you can open an existing MIDI and it will decompile it so you can see how things are done, change things, etc.

2016-07-28 09:01:19

Can you use multuple instruments?

Bitcoin Address:

2016-07-28 13:52:47

Where is the track system?

pika-san, a pokemon fan! skype: luigimax127
Discord: luigimax127#5490
Pokemon show down username: pika127

2016-09-17 22:27:22

I doubt I'd get much out of this. I'm not a programmer, and don't have any perfect pitch or note-sensing cells in my brain, although I can hear enough to sort of deconstruct things, but not well enough to make what I hear in my head, lol.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2017-04-02 08:30:06 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-06-21 09:27:40)

I work very well with it, it's really effective for make MIDIs.

I have made several remakes of my favorite game with my PC-98 SoundFont and I have nothing to say; thank you very much!

I'm not good making MIDIs with QWS, and this is my best alternative. If I want to apply VSTis I use SynthFont.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2017-04-04 05:43:55

hello everyone,
So a couple questions, before I leap forth and get this program.
First of all, one thing you should know, I know nothing about medi or anything on that entire line.
But I am interested in creating my own music, just for fun.
So here are my questions.
1. Can I use this program, even if I do not have my own medi files, or access to a keyboard or other instruments?
2. Can I blend multiple instruments together in a track?
3. If the answer to the first question is a yes, then is there a tutorial or walk through somewhere I can read and or listen to in order to help me get started?
Thank you so much for putting this up as a post, I look forward to hearing from you.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-04-04 17:18:54 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-06-21 09:30:02)

@SilverMoon

I am not the author of this topic, but I will try to answer your questions.

1. You do not need to have MIDI keyboard, although of course using one would make the job easier.
2. You can not have multiple instruments on a track, but you can do it with musical notes.
3. There is no tutorial, so I followed the instructions in the readme file.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-04-04 19:17:32

I have an error that says the procedure entry point in directory miditext.exe cannot be found. It gives the text it's looking for, but my computer won't let me select or copy it here. If i ever get it to work, i should try to make a song about downloading beta software on rural internet. lol

2017-04-04 21:21:39

I like what I've seen in this software thus far. My only Grievance is that there does not seem to be any straightforward way to create multi-track songs.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2017-04-04 21:42:34 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-06-21 03:09:40)

@Severestormsteve1
What do you mean?
I've do remakes of Touhou songs with my PC-98 SoundFont and everything is going great. Of 16 tracks available to use, I only use 8 tracks.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-04-04 21:56:33 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-06-21 03:10:22)

@arcadia, I think you should install other versions of Microsoft Visual C++, but I do not know which one.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-04-05 08:24:11

So I can't do multiple instruments? Hmm
So could I do like one instrument on one track, second instrument on track 2, so on and so forth?
Also, can this blend voice as well?
Like if I wanted instrument, then my voice on another track? Could I smush it together to make a nice song?
Thank you for answering my previous questions, I truly appreciate it.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-04-05 15:53:23

The way I do multiple instruments is by switching the channel, I put one instrument on each channel and then I set the time to 0 seconds and start playing.
V:10
is an example of how to switch channels.
P0
is an example of how to set the position to 0 seconds, or maybe it's beats.
I am still unsure about repeating sections and how to formulate them. I tried it out a couple different ways but they turned out to be syntactical errors.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2017-04-05 20:19:46 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-04-05 23:42:57)

@SilverMoon
That's right, only one instrument in each channel.

Your voice can not be blended with the channels, because this is software for composing MIDI files.
You could create a MIDI first, then save it to a wav file, and finally you can blend your voice using audacity or some audio editor.

@severestormsteve1
Repeated sections are made like this:

(cfga+gf)3dd+d<a+
After the left paren write everything you want to be repeated. Review the example I wrote above.

When you have completed what you want to be repeated, put the right paren.
Finally write a number after the right paren but with out space; that number will be the times the pattern will be repeated.
Copy this into the MidiText and tell me if it works.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-04-05 21:23:50

Can someone make a recording of a getting started tutorial?

Bitcoin Address: