2017-04-01 04:35:52

Hi developers of Audio Games.
This is a question I've been wondering to get some answers to, from like-minded people (you my fellow developers).

Would anyone be interested in a physical audio game console with a ps like store system and a new custom engine that is made to create audio games?
I know the part with a physical console have been tried before, but I really believe in the idea myself.
What are your opinion on the subject of a ps / xbox like console for audio games.
I'll love to get your input smile

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2017-04-01 11:35:58

Hi.
I like the idea. I think it'll be better to ask this question in the generel games discussions room.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-04-01 14:10:46

Possibly, although I forgot the name of it but someone was already trying a similar thing with a prototype, although I don't think it was digital
Also though, with the way that microsoft are going lately I think we'll be seeing soem mainstream devs start to take notice soon.

2017-04-01 14:46:34 (edited by JessicaGG 2017-04-01 14:51:16)

#2 the reason i posted it here is because, that if no one was interested to develop for the platform, it would be pointless to make.
#3 ya someone tried something like that a while ago but i think that the project is kind of deth now. As for Microsoft's accessibility changes lately your right, but it will take some time and we don't know how many developers will implement accessibility in there games to begin with.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2017-04-01 18:37:12

The audio game console is called sonus, interactive, and the last time I spoke with the developer he is still working on it

2017-04-02 02:16:33

ZK wrote:

The audio game console is called sonus, interactive, and the last time I spoke with the developer he is still working on it

So it is still getting developed. Could not find any info on that thanks.

2017-04-02 08:15:18

http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=18953

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2017-04-02 11:09:33

Yes as far as I'm aware he is still working on it

2017-04-02 12:06:19

Hello folks. Although I think this can bring us more options regarding games to play, it sort of breaks the accessibility many of us are fighting for. We have developers like Daigonite, Out of Sight Games and I'm probably skiping someone I can not remember right now. It can take some time? Yes, indeed. But we never been that close before from having truely accessible games, playable by sighted and visually impaired alike.
My honest opinion is that an audio only console is a step backwards in this matter. We already have tools to develop amazing games in the mean time.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-04-02 13:20:34

Haramir makes a very valid point, and it is one I have though about myself.

My name is Aaron Parsons and I am the developer of the Sonus. Karl, a member here told me some questions had popped up.
Yes, the project already exists Nicklas and I'm glad to see people are coming to the same idea themselves, this means a real demand is there. My particular project is a small handeld device with 10 buttons, 4 are direction, 5 action and 1 pause button (the pause button is the only one not programmable). The sonus comes with its game development counterpart called the G.D.E (Game Development Enviroment) that is designed to make games with no porgramming language needed and eventually with plenty of tutorials and help for absolute beginners to bring their ideas to life.

I am currently adding a debug mode to the G.D.E to allow developers to test their games without the need to export it and play it using the physical console.

As for Haramir's very interesting point, ideally we would like players who are blind and visually capable to be able to play together and with games deisgned so one doesn't have any advantage over the other. The Sonus is a first small step. If it is successful it makes room for further development in later versions such as online multiplayer and the inclusion of some visual output to make the games more appealing to visual users. Its a long road but at least we are walking forward.

2017-04-02 22:31:25

Hi Aaron.
I have tried to learn some programming languages for more than 10 years, but have realized that I just don't get how it works... I simply find it very difficult to learn. smile
Can you give a brief explanation on how the programming language for the console is going to be? It would be fantastic if people like me who find other programming languages difficult to learn might be able to make simple games for your console.

Best regards SLJ.

2017-04-02 23:56:43

I am curious. How might this break "accessibility"?

2017-04-03 01:15:41

Hello folks! Hector, the answer is actually very simple.
Once sighted players keep developing only sight based games, and blind devs stick to audio only games, we are not having accessibility at all, what we have is usability at most.
Each group tending to their individual needs.
My anticipated apologies if the post sounds harch by any means. I do not have the intention of diminishing anyone's work.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-04-03 22:54:53

@Aaronlp, you might as well add programming abilities to the GDE before you release it. You cannot, and I repeat -- you cannot develop anything without coding it. Every game needs it's own custom interface, commands, etc. and that cannot be accomplished without programming the game.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-04-05 19:51:16

The G D E still incorperates all the logic that a games needs to run, but without the need to learn a specific programming language. The developer will still develop the algorithms the game needs to follow.

Its an Object based system. The Developer makes all the Game Object templates the game needs to run. All of which have various events. Such as if the object is currently colliding with another, or if the user is pressing a key, or if the object has been destroyed or if the Audio the current object is playing has ended. Each of these events can have actions assigned to them. These actions control the flow of the game. They are responsible for creating other Game Objects, Playing Sound, altering Variables. Running Condtions, Saving and Loading the game, the list goes on.

2017-04-06 20:15:37

@Aaronlp, still, add it. You may find that developers will appreciate if you add that despite the fact that you feel it as 'unnecessary'.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-05-09 19:42:19

I hope Sonus and other initiatives reach success, I would probably buy them myself, but whenever people talk about a portable audiogames console I ask myself, wouldn't it be nicer if people instead learned how to publish audiogames on platforms such as Nintendo 3DS? Aramir pointed this, accessibility will come when we buy our games on the same stores and play them with our sighted friends, and the mainstream devs will notice our money when it starts buying on mainstream platforms.

2017-05-09 22:22:48

NicklasMCHD wrote:

This is a question I've been wondering to get some answers to, from like-minded people (you my fellow developers).

Would anyone be interested in a physical audio game console with a ps like store system and a new custom engine that is made to create audio games?
I know the part with a physical console have been tried before, but I really believe in the idea myself.
What are your opinion on the subject of a ps / xbox like console for audio games.

I agree with this idea. But please, also include some easy sound effects, if players want It.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2017-05-12 01:41:42

Giovani wrote:
NicklasMCHD wrote:

I agree with this idea. But please, also include some easy sound effects, if players want It.

What do you mean by that?