2017-03-30 09:43:26

Hello.
A question for those who developed audio games in Python.
What are the advantages of Python over BGT? Why is Python better than C ++? What games can be developed with Python?
Are there any examples of audio games on Python?
Thanks in advance!

2017-03-30 10:12:52

I'll try to list as many advantages and disadvantages of python vs bgt, I don't have experience with c++ so I am not going to say anything about it:
python, advantages:
1. It's a mainstream language. It's got a large comunity. When you have a question or get a criptic error, just search google for the error or question and you will get lots of results of people having the same questions. No more posting topics here and hoping someone answers, just search and find your answer.
2. Many, many libraries. If you want to do something like load maps, do complex calculations, anything of that sort, there are lots of prewritten libraries (bgt calls the includes) available. You also have 3d audio with libaudioverse and openal.
3. cross-platform, make games for windows, mac and linux

disadvantages:
1. Python is a bit slower, bgt is very, very fast.
2. It is harder to learn. BGT's language tutorial is absolutely fantastic. Although not impossible, you have to think of what to learn next, there is not a guide how to create audiogames in python, and if there is, it's probably outdated.

This might not be everything, just a few key points I could think of. I'm not going to talk about sintax, because that is very subjective.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-03-30 11:07:58

Performance. I can develop in Python a good 3D shooter?

2017-03-30 14:23:25

yes

2017-03-30 15:02:01

I saw even a 3d rpg in Python with grafix so performance isn't a problem at all on audiogames with python.

2017-03-30 16:54:10

how run this game? I have Python 2.7

2017-03-30 20:05:58

Typically, the majority of software performance problems have to do with how the software is coded rather than the language used.  If you run performance tests on various languages, you will see that their performance will differ. But good performance tests tend to try to push performance to the limit. Most software you are likely to write is not likely to push those limits.
You can write a game in any of those languages. Each language comes with its own pro's and cons.
I personally think that the decision of which language you use depends on which language would you enjoy spending a lot of time with and how much support are you going to need in building your game? Building any type of software in any language tends to involve more time than you would expect. So you definitely want to pick a language that you will find useful and enjoyable.
There is also the question of "support".  BGT has a good tutorial. It also appears to be a language specifically created for the purpose of making audio games. That means any information you find on it will be related to creating games.  Python has a large community. There is a lot of help available--however, audio gaming is just one amongst many things Python is used for. C++ has the advantage that it is the language most commercial games use--but audio gaming is also just a small aspect of the language.
My own preference is to use Python. However, I tend to want to write many different types of software and I want my software to work on both Windows and Linux.
However, if you do decide to use Python, I would suggest updating to Python 3. You can still use Python 2.7 if you wish to do so, but unless you are limited to using Python 2.7 for some reason--it would be better to start any new development using Python 3.