2016-05-09 07:34:46 (edited by Orin 2016-05-09 07:42:06)

Hi everyone,
I want to bring up this mud again because it has undergone some major changes that make it one of the best Iron Realms games to play.
First, according to TMC, it is RP Encouraged. From what I've been able to observe for the few hours of in-game time this character has had, this is largely true. Players of significant importance will gently nudge you to roleplay. Since I didn't know how to spell this one character's name whom politely started up a conversation, I simply said "Hi". That's not how you speak formerly to a professor of high rank in the Halifax Institute, so I corrected myself: 'Greetings, Professor Chevat."
However, all he said was repeat that again. I didn't get roundtime for being out of character, had I simply repeated "hi" again he probably would've corrected me, but it's to get people to RP as much as possible, not to strictly enforce it with an iron fist. If you ask over your city channel what a command is on how to do something, they won't openly ridicule you by making you read a bunch of policies and expect to memorize them while communicating.
It may seem RP Enforced because if you ask something OOC you'll get an IC response back sometimes, but a lot of the times it's not hard to interpret IC to OOC.
Now that I got that out of the way, don't let that intimidate you from trying this game. The game's intro system is similar to that of Avalon RPG. You go through a very detailed introduction that cuts down on how to move and all of the first time mudder information. After this, upon enrolling into a city and selecting a guild, you are automatically enrolled in your cities Collegeium or University. In mine there are 15 quests, but each city may vary with the quests. I know for a fact that each city has a lore quest, where you go around to the important individuals of the city and learn about it's history, social hiaraki, etc. This is where I think this game differs from Avalon. in Avalon, the school quests are pretty much the same regardless of city. In any case, it'll take you a few hours to complete the Collegeium of your city. I am on the healing quest of mine which has a bit of steps to it. There are also a number of achievements in the game, a lot of them newbieish, and these achievements are good because you can get lessons with them, which in turn, lets you learn new skills.
Plus, Plainer travel is cool. You get an ability at the end of the intro called "rift", which is like a pocket dimension for items. You also have backpacks, but the rift could probably come in handy for things like vials of Bromide, for Ego healing, health, etc. With the discipline ability, one can train curing, allowing the fates, which is to say the game, to drink one of these vials when the required amount gets low. Bromide for Ego, Health for health, Mana for mana, etc.
I hope to see people from this forum check it out. I started playing again because Stirlock has told me about the Collegeium, and I had never experienced it with my first character here. Thus, I tried it and am really enjoying it.
As always, my character name is Orinks and wil always be Orinks unless taken or it's RP Enforced and they have naming convensions where it can't be used. You can hit up Stirlock as well, he's Lanthran in-game.
http://www.lusternia.com has a wealth of information that'll surely peak your interest.
Finally, when you're ready to connect:
Lusternia.com port 23
P.S. I know some have stated in the past that IRE games require PK. I have several sources stating this is not the case, the people who don't want it won't get involved with it.

2016-05-09 07:53:28

hello
it seems like a cool game, but you wrote discusion so i think that it should be in the general discusion room, may be not, i don't know
and about the game, does it have a sound pack? or is it having some plugins? thanks

don't wish to become like the oceans, the flowers, or the sun. oceans will dry out, flowers will die, and the sun will be extinguished. be yourself and nothing and no one else and hope for a better tomorrow.

2016-05-09 22:54:15

It unfortunately does not have a soundpack.
Hmm. Yeah, perhaps it should be in the General Discussion area. I can't move it, though.

2016-05-10 13:36:19

Well we've not had any specific lusternia topics so hay it might as well stay hear sinse I didn't know about lusturnia specifically.

The quests and planer abilities sound good, however one thing I heard with some at least of the Ir games is that rp got a bit too! crazy, for example I recall someone being told that to level up they literally had to write an exam paper, a full scale, several thousand word essay! that to me is overkill on rp big_smile.

I do recall wayback when when I looked over the games lusturnia seemed the one most into questing and solo stuff, where as one other one (it could've been imperia), was far more about the pvp of one sort or another, though again I'm not sure.

I also do want to know about the payment system if any, sinse I did believe the ir games were either commercial, or had some sort of restriction that you needed to pay for.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-10 15:59:22

A firm no, on both counts. though you can pay for lessons, as well as artifacts, but the pricing structure for artifacts is absurdly expensive, artifacts are meerly pay for convenience anyway. You can also buy credits with gold though so you don't need to spend a single dollar of real money if you don't want to. I do reccommend picking up the no brainer lessons package though, $10 for 1000 lessons is pretty good. But again, no payment is forced on you. In fact the only actual pay to play muds around now are the dragonrealms muds, and I honestly don't see that model lasting much longer.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2016-05-11 01:05:14

Well, I'm level 7 and I have yet to write any exam papers. You can earn lessons via achievements as well, and you get bound credits which you can convert into lessons, which itself is an achievement where you get, more lessons. So no to both the overkill RP stuff and you don't have to spend anything.

2016-05-11 17:06:25

Okay, it was ackea that mentioned the exam, see what Welshweyr said in post 25 of This topic

I've read the lusternia newbie guide, oddly enough it had a lot to say about pvp so I can see why people assume lusturnia is a heavy pvp game. I'd be interested though to know the differences between the iron realms muds, sinse the writeups are rather different on things.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-03-27 11:47:06

Bringing up this thread again for a couple of reasons.
First, unlike other Iron Realms Muds, this one seems much more laidback about RP. You need to write a description of yourself and stay in character, but the players seem friendly and relaxed if you ask a technical question.
Second, I play a druid, and I read that you never have to kill anything if you don't want to, because you can use a skill called influence to charm creatures. I've never seen that tactic in a Mud before, and I really like it! You can fight if you want, but I love the idea that the Mud gives you other options to advance.
Third, I am using the teleport and path walk commands to get around the game, and so far, I haven't had any trouble with finding things. (I'm on Level 10.)
Fourth, you can purchase credits, but it seems to me that you earn plenty just by leveling. Since you earn some bonus credits as a newbie, you have plenty to work with when leveling up your skills. I can't say for certain, but I don't feel like this is a pay-to-win game at all.
Fifth, there is crafting. I haven't chosen a tradeskill yet, because as I understand it, you only get one. But I have seen mentions of cooking, tailoring, jewelrymaking, and alchemy, along with a few more I can't remember at the moment.
Finally, the thing that really made me want to play Lusternia is the concept of manses. From what I understand, these are basically entire planes of existence that you can purchase and design as you wish. Forget building a house, you can make your manse as big as you can afford. Then you can let your friends into your manse to relax or RP or whatever. My understanding is that you start by purchasing one room, and add on from there.
I am playing several Muds at the moment, but looking for a permanent home so to speak, and I am excited about Lusternia. This may be the one that breaks the mold of any negatives you've heard about Iron Realms.

2017-03-27 19:27:35

Please exercise caution here as Ironrealms taints the MUDding community with their P2W trash. Not to say that the quality of the world is not there, it is, they are very well written, highly detailed worlds, but you will get suckered into the micro transactions market at some point if you're not careful. I have donated to several MUDs, so I'm not trying to say that they do not deserve support because they do, just be careful not to get sinkered into the trap.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-27 23:34:33

I'm looking forward to Starmourn.

2017-03-28 00:16:38

As much as I hate to admit it, so am I.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-28 00:17:11

a thing that always bottered me about their muds, can't remember if lusternia as well, is tthat some of the skills can only be used in pvp.
i never managed to find a good reason for this, even more because of the roleplay in all their games.
i mean, how the f**** do you explain IC that a skill doesn't work in a rabbit, but does work in a human?

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.