2017-03-27 08:28:12

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right room, but here it goes.
I'm mainly a jaws user, but sometimes I switch to NVDA to play games like Crazy Party, BK3, and stuff like that. When using JGT from Ian Reid to translate games, it makes NVDA very slow upon restart of the program. I'll shut down NVDA after I'm done playing my game, and use Jaws for awhile, then when I restart NVDA, it's incredibly slow and unresponsive. I need to restart my computer for it to work normally again. Does anyone else have this problem, and does anyone have any idea how I could fix/prevent this from happening?
Thanks so much.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2017-03-27 09:22:57

I'm sorry to say that I've never seen this problem, but in all honesty, it could even be due to JFW, as it's known to be a resource hog.  That's the only thing I can really think of but I hope you manage to get things fixed.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-03-27 21:47:47

Ugh, it's only gotten worse. NVDA runs fine when I first start my computer, but when I close it, and run jaws, then shut down jaws, and run NVDA again, it's incredibility slow, and unresponsive.
I don't think it's jaws, cause Jaws isn't even on when I'm running NVDA. This is so weird, it doesn't even have anything to do with JGT anymore.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2017-03-27 23:43:19

If you were to look at your task manager, you would find that JAWS processes are still running, such as the FSAtProxy.exe process, which never seems to go away unless you personally terminate it.  While it alone may not be causing the issue, other processes might be refusing to quit, thus making your computer crawl as slowly as it does.  You may find this hard to believe, but on 3 windows 7 machines I've already had more issues with JAWS than I can count, all of them concerning the very same thing, that being remote procedure call. Symptoms which you may find in some of my other posts on this forum follow:
I run JAWS for awhile; I do any number of things with it from troubleshooting other people's issues to helping people figure out its apparrently complex layout... I think we've gotten much lazier over the years and for whatever reason best known to ourselves can't be bothered learning instructions, but that's a different subject for a different topic.  I close it and relaunch NVDA when I'm done with it and hover my cursor over a .txt or .rtf file.  NVDA trys to present the information concerning the file such as the date it was last eddited, created, the size, etc etc.  NVDA never manages to present the information owing to some manner of interference I can't quite pinpoint, but which I'm certain has something to do with JAWS because it never happens at any other point in time.  Windows explorer stops working and must be restarted.  After restarting, some 30 minutes must go by or the PC must be restarted altogether before I can access anything on my PC with the exception of other software.  Trying to boot into any of my drives or attempting to launch them or any folders from desktop shortcuts result in the error message, "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute."  Three different computers, same operating system, same precise patern.  No, this isn't me hating on JAWS; this is me pointing out something people gloss over.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-03-27 23:48:51

Hmm. I can't even get to the task manager with NVDA when it's running like that. I have to take five minutes to try and close NVDA, and then I restart Jaws and Jaws works fine. NVDA has never acted like this before, it's just weird.
It very well could be Jaws, I'm not doubting you by any means. I just wish I knew how to fix it. Restarting my computer every time I want to use NVDA can get pretty annoying. lol smile

2017-03-28 13:08:38

I can't speak for Jaws, but I haven't seen this problem myself when around between nvda and supernova.
indeed yesterday I made a total booboo and in my forgetting which key bought up the esp pinball registration dialogue, by mistake activated supernova while and esp pinball were both still running.

I was actually quite impressed with how Nvda handled this, Supernova didn't speak directly, but Nvda switched to the next orphius voice along (supernova was using Alan and I suspect both screen readers couldn't speak at once because both were using orphius), I was then able to get to the sn control and close supernova, close esp pinball, then just reset the nvda voice to Alan and everything went fine.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-03-28 20:03:48

I never found JAWS to be a protagonist of lag on my computer just for the reason of shutting down and not going away from the active processes. When I launche NVDA after having unloaded JAWS, everything works ideally. I'm not sure if the translate add-on is causing lag or slowdown. You may try disabling it temporarily and see what happens. I find that when I disable some add-ons on NVDA it seems to work a little faster.

2017-03-31 02:25:57

i have had the same exact issues with jaws as Nocturnus. it made me officially switch from jaws and now i only use nvda on windows.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2017-04-01 19:13:02

A few things to try:
Download a fresh copy of NVDA, create a portable copy, and see if it has the issue.
If it does not, try adding the addons you use in your installed version and see if it changes things.

The main idea is to try to get a version of NVDA that does not have the problem.
Then you can slowly make it more like the one you currently use until you hopefully narrow down the addon or setting that is causing the problem.
If even a fresh copy of NVDA has the problem, then that implies it might be something in your OS or another application interfering.

Hope that helps.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.