2016-09-24 23:04:20

Greetings,

I have tried to set Shades of Doom to use my screen reader (JAWS) in lieu of the built-in speech, but it failed with the error message that says "Error initializing screen reader or MS SAPI."

Browsing the program directory, I have found a couple of DLL files called "ScreenReaderAPI.dll" and "UniversalSpeech.dll." Thinking that they were not properly registered, I have tried to register them using regsvr32.exe.

I have then reattempted to set my screen reader to speak within the game, but this time, it failed with another error message:
"Run-time error '438': Object doesn't support this property or method"

Dismissing the message causes immediate termination of the game.

Switching to NVDA doesn't fix the issue either.

Note 1: The game is installed on a computer that runs Windows 7 64-bit.
Note 2: I do also have Time of Conflict installed, which is working perfectly with my screen reader.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2017-03-24 02:21:06

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I've observed this problem as well. I've tried to contact David Greenwood, but get no response. What's going on?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-03-24 03:00:04

Hello.
Wow this is an old topic lol! I haven't played shades of doom in a while. But I figure if other people have this problem it's probably within the code and hasn't been fixed. Something I've noticed about gma is that updates to any of their games are slow in coming, and I've never seen them release a patch to a game to patch up a simple problem. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of gma but I've observed this since I've been a customer for years.
@Chris, yes I've noticed he's really hard to get in touch with. I've often wondered why he's not on this forum since he makes games for this community. I've noticed whenever he releases something, it's usually phil who announces it to the forum which is pretty interesting. I figure if you can't get in contact with him, just wait and see what happens.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-03-24 12:55:46

SplendidFault
I use JAWS with Shades of Doom version 2 and it works fine.
Where did you install the game?
It should be installed somewhere instead of c:\program files.
I have the game installed at,
c:\users\phil\games
This allows the game to change things inside the folder which is not allowed now in the c:\program files folder.
You will need to un-install the game first then re-install it in a different place.

2018-05-12 21:14:18 (edited by SplendidFault 2018-05-12 21:14:50)

Phil, that's it. Running the game as administrator did solve the problem. Thank you very much for the hint.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2018-05-13 01:57:14

@Phil

Thanks for that! I have SOD installed on my Windows 7 32 bit system but haven't started playing with it yet. I'll uninstall it an reinstall it to where I put other games written for XP.