2017-03-14 01:40:04

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone can point me to a simple codebase to start with? I get that coding takes time and there may not be a 'simple one', in which case: which is your favorite? I thought of starting out with Moo (even though it's old) but I'm trying to grasp the idea of objects and hierarchies.
Speaking of Moo, is it even usable with VIP mud? I tried using a  simple function like player:tell, and I got a popup with an error. I thought it was from the server itself, but just in case, I tried it with telnet(don't judge!) and it worked. I suspect VIP was thinking I'm trying to code a script for it instead. There's gotta be a way to disable direct parsing on the client side... Then again, it may be something else. I was just thinking of coding with VIP since I can't think of a better client at the moment. Then again, If there's a better and easier codebase that works just fine with VIP that would be even better!
Anyway, do you think moo is a good codebase to start with, or is there something simpler?
Thanks!

2017-03-14 01:46:35

I'd say MOO is probably the easiest to start with, since there's no C/C++ coding involved, unless you want to extend the server.
A similar option would be an LP codebase, though LP is more complex than MOO.
I had the idea to start my own MUD codebase consisting of a small binary written in C or C++ which would only handle sockets, and have the rest of it written in a language like Python or Lua, but I haven't actually worked on it.

2017-03-14 02:06:12

Hi Jason,
I definitely want to give Moo a try, but with the conflict between VIP Mud's scripting and the server I feel discouraged. Has anyone on here coded with moo and VIP Mud? I've also tried Coffee Mud but it seems a bit complex. Besides, I rather not code in Java lol. Perhaps I can find another mud client that's just as accessible to screen readers...

2017-03-14 02:11:47

Hi,
Easy fix for VIP:
Type >> and hit enter, it'll let those commands pass through.

2017-03-14 02:21:41

Another solution would be to use MUSHClient, with the MUSHReader plugin installed.
You can get MUSHReader from http://allinaccess.com/mc

2017-03-14 02:25:55

Awesome, Thanks! I assume I'd have to type >> before the command each time? If so, it's better than nothing, I suppose. I thought of trying mushclient....it might not be such a bad idea.

2017-03-14 05:13:03

If you need any MUSHClient help, let me know.
There's a tab in general preferences where you can set plugins to be automatically loaded, so you can have the reader plugin automatically loaded into every world you open in MUSHClient.

2017-03-14 08:47:16

You're actually taking the right aproach, just use some already existing MUD driver and use some already existing codebase so that you already have the functionality to make players connectable and then extend the codebase any further until you get what you want. But note that MUDs can take quite much more time than usual games, since you always have to setup the environment, means the rooms and all that kind of stuff until the game is actually playable, and the descriptions, if they should actually be nice to read, will take their time to be written.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2017-03-14 18:07:49 (edited by thggamer 2017-03-14 21:37:35)

Where do you found the Moo server and the database? I want to try to
code in a Moo but I couldn't find any databases to start with.
Edit:
I've found a basic core database for starting at http://www.lisdude.com/moo/lambdacore-latest.zip

2017-03-15 18:54:16

I wish I could get LP running but it looks too complex for me, I already have a MOO up and running, not that anything is there, but its running.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-16 23:21:36

Thanks for your answers!
I decided I'm going to try to learn MOO. The programming language itself doesn't seem difficult, I just need to get used to some things. My only problem is that since MOO is old, it's hard to find any info so a lot of it involves either figuring stuff out using the help file, or if you're lucky an article here or there will point something out (the MOO manual is difficult to follow at times). I was wondering: Those of you who have successfully started anything with moo--even if it's the smallest thing, what resources helped you? I'm starting to understand a lot of it, such as how objects work, etc. Still, if anyone can point me to a tutorial or something that has helped you or if you can think of any general tips about coding in MOO, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again!

2017-03-17 12:41:46

Hello, where can I get the pure moo codebase without a world? I just want the codebase itself and build everything from scratch

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-03-17 18:27:36 (edited by theextreme 2017-03-17 18:29:10)

Hi @Nuno69,
You can get the most recent Lambda moo core from:
http://lambda.moo.mud.org/pub/MOO/
Good luck!

2017-03-18 01:00:14

Is 1.8.1 the latest?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-03-18 03:05:19

Yes. as far as I know, that was the latest version.

2017-03-18 04:20:34

There are also development versions 1.8.2 and 1.8.3. IIRC, you can find them at:
http://lambda.moo.mud.org

2017-03-18 04:23:03 (edited by Jason SW 2017-03-18 04:33:11)

There are also forks of LambdaMOO.
One called GammaMOO, which can be found at http://luke.dashjr.org/programs/gammamoo, and another server called Stunt, which has a home at http://stunt.io.

2017-03-18 16:58:03

I think there is a 1.94 but it is like really unstable so don't bother looking for it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-18 19:38:49

I looked at the LambdaMOO source on SourceForge and Github, and the latest version in both cases is 1.8.3, so if there is a 1.9.4, it's probably unofficial. The source hasn't been touched in years. At this point, I wonder if the main project is just dead.

2017-03-19 01:00:29

I've been wanting to create a MOO for some time now, and I'm using a Linux VM to practice on. BTW, is there a MOO database that includes combat (as seen in Diku-style MUDs)?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-03-27 15:32:30

I'm a little late to this topic lol, but I would actually recommend Evennia. It's a python codebase and it has lots of basic things done for you, though you can change them of course. Examples include a server that doesn't require clients to disconnect when restarting, a web UI including an in-browser client if I remember correctly, channels and tells (you can actually hook in-game ones up to channels on an irc server), and more I'm forgetting I'm sure.
There are also lots of examples, both in the repository, on it's wiki, and there is a game that uses it with the code on git hub in a separate repository.

If your interested, you can find it's repo at https://github.com/evennia/evennia.

I also recommend mush client with the mush reader plugin if your looking for a good mud client.

Regards,
Blademan
Twitter: @bladehunter2213