2017-03-16 11:20:25

Hello everyone.
So, I have a huge library of music that I want to extend and want to carry around with me. I am searching for a cheap solution to do this, I dont want to get a 128 GB iPod touch or iPhone if I have a cheaper solution for example with android or a player which is maybe not accessible, but usable for blind people.
what I need is a player where I can copy my sorted music, I sorted this into artists and albums, where I can copy this onto. Together with that, the player must have the feature to shuffle all the tracks, so it looks up all the albums and just throws the tracks into a shuffled list, if you get what I mean.
The biggest thing is space, I need lots of space on the thing, as much as possible. If there is a good solution for that, please tell me so.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-03-16 17:46:13

I believe an mp3 or mp4 player device could work well for your needs. If it does not have a built-in storage space, you could use an SD card of 128 GB or so.

2017-03-16 20:29:49

Hi.
Hmm, ok, do you have a special mp3 player in mind?
Greetings Moritz.

2017-03-17 00:18:07

There was one called Victor stream or something like that, I'm not sure since I heard it in this forum.

2017-03-17 00:50:55

The trouble is the victor reader stream's a bit expensive from what I've heard, and I don't knwo how big it is, both filesize wise and also physically. I could be wrong though.

2017-03-17 04:58:41 (edited by Chris 2017-03-17 05:00:42)

If you want a cheap media player, the Victor Reader won't cut it as it sells for about $370. I'd suggest looking at the players at www.talkingmp3players.com and see if those will meet your needs. If you think $70 or $80 is too high, you can always get the players at a cheaper price and install Rockbox on them. I used to own a player called the Sansa Shaker, but that device only supported SD cards up to 2 or 4 GB. That was about 10 years ago, so things could have changed. I'm going to go look at that product again. It was a nice little media player at the time. The device didn't have a screen and it played all my media. The only downside was the poor media time seeking and the fact that it wouldn't save my position when powered off.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-03-17 09:23:17

Hi.
Yeah, the victor reader is a bit to expensive for what I need the device, If the iPod shuffle would have had a bigger file storage space, it would be my first choice.
Does someone on here know something about rockbox and how good it is?
Greetings Moritz.

2017-03-17 17:01:44

I absolutely love Rockbox, there's so much you can do with it. You use the rockbox utility, choose a sapi voice, go to install talk files, and then say generate, and the first time you generate it will take a while, but then afer that it won't take so long. Voice files are your menus, so you only do that once. Talk files are what you keep adding to, and those are the files that you add, and will be used when they get highlighted. They are only a few kb in size so don't panic about space.
Also though, at least here in the uk, the devices are becoming really hard to find. The really cool thing is though, I found the same device as I had, put my old rockbox config onto it, and it was like absolutely nothing had changed, down to what file I was listening to when I turned it back on for the first time, it was the most smoothest transition I've ever seen! I'm getting worried what will happen if my current sansa clip plus dies. I've heard they are in America though, and it's got a few years left in it yet, but my other one died and ti took me a while to get it back because it took me a while to find an 8 gb clip plus. I also do not know how big a micro sd card you can bput in there.

2017-03-17 17:19:41

Hi.
Hmm, sounds like something I should get into. Is that player of yours the only one who has rockbox support or are there others?
Sadly I get apples old iPod classic with 160 GB of space isnt available anymore, that would have been an awesome device.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-03-17 18:05:48

no, no. The talking mp3players person is wripping you off bigtime. A quik search on US Ebay turned up a few clip zips and clip  pluses for around the $50 mark. Talking mp3 player's price for a 4gb clip zip? $119.99. This is pure scalping, nothing more or less. The installation of rockbox is handled through a client, all you need do is click a few buttons. The modification of the player's bootloader is handled through the client, again, press a button. The generation of the speech file and .talk clips? handled through a clientt with the press of a couple of buttons. It takes maybe 25 minutes at most to rockbox a player and have everything voiced. This person is doubling the price and then some just because they clicked a few buttons for you. The installation of rockbox is not a massively technical process so you shouldn't be subject to these types of price hikes if you wish to buy something that's been pre-configured. Also, this particular line from the about us section kinda makes me laugh. Our goal is to provide products and services geared towards enabling accessibility for you at an affordable price.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-03-17 22:22:18

Hi.
At exodus, well, this is not the only time where a company trys ripping you off with such prices, take for example pre configured computers for the blind, those cost a few hundret dollars more than there actual price.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-03-17 22:35:25

With the quickstart installer, it takes even less time to set up now, because it bootloads it all for you without you having to go through the separate steps. All you might have to do is generate your own voice and talk files.
I still don't know what sized sd cards fit in there maximum though.

2017-03-18 01:33:51 (edited by Chris 2017-03-18 02:06:45)

I thought those players were cheaper than $120. I guess he changed his prices.

Speaking of Rockbox, can I install it on my Mac and generate speech using Macintalk or Apple's implementation of Vocalizer?

edit

Nope, Rockbox Utility on Mac is terrible, move along.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-03-18 07:18:53

Huh, I didn't know about the price gouging that Accessible Electronics was taking part in. That's really disappointing, because I never support that kind of thing if I can help it. I wish I'd thought to do my research before purchasing an mp3 player from them a couple of years ago. At least, knowing what I know now, if anything ever happens to the Clip Plus I have, I can find one elsewhere. I did always think their accessories and what not were priced a bit high, so I just chose not to buy them. And buying an accessible phone through them seems like a bit of a dated practice when anyone can enable Voiceover or Talkback on just about any modern smartphone. The only exception there is the fact that they sell the Haven, which I know is no longer being sold in stores, and many people like that phone. To be honest, I thought that these kinds of players weren't in wide circulation anymore, so I thought I was getting a decent deal. Now I'm a bit disgusted with myself for recommending the company to others, since, as I said, I hate it when people sell products to the blind at a higher price and think they can get away with it just because we're a niche market.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-03-22 01:09:03

I have an iOS app called MinimalSee in apple store to enable blind user to play in device music as well as shoutcast internet radio. Though the targeted user is not only blind but eye-free operation in mind. Check out minimalsee.com info and demo.