2017-03-09 00:09:58

Greetings all. Sorry its been a bit with out an update, i've been rather bizzy with outside matters, so I haven't had very much of a chance to get anything coded. However, i've gone back and tested some more changes relating to first person, since a few of you expressed a desire for it to possibly return. And the results are so far positive, i've gotten it to be like rtr's turning. This means the following. I'm doing a major restructuring of the client's code. Meaning maps will once again be client side, walking will no longer be handled by the server, and this'll provide much more for the 3d rotation... as well as provide a more smooth experience. Not only that but this means i'll be able to focus the storyline offline as well, with out having to develop any extra server stuff or any of that. Well anyways, better sign off for now.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

Thumbs up +1

2017-03-09 09:20:51

Thanks for the great news. Keep up the great job...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-03-12 02:01:41

Greetings all. While I haven't made too much progress on the update, the things that are new are as follows. Consoles now make the transission to client side. I've conducted various tests on the adjustments to making the game first person, and they all check out. This means that you can turn towards an object, walk towards it and once your their interact with it with the E key again. The only thing missing is the joystick support. Because maps are now client side, including walls, doors, consoles, etc, this means multiplayer will still be down for the time being while I make the updates. This, unfortunitly has broken the new building system and it'll require some rework, which means for the moment, it won't be avaylable in this update. However, this update will allow me to replace the way you entered and exitted spaceships, which needed a readjustment anyways, and not only that but will allow me to at least bring back some older locations. My plan for the multiplayer is to make it dmnb stile like we started out as, only with hopefully a lot less glitches than what dmnb v1 suffered from. This means the building system will probably be put to use building your own colonies. However, don't feer, because i'm still going to be putting in project alpha's creations. And with this new mode, the awsome thing you'll all enjoy is that because of the client side implementation work i've done, storyline and multiplayer will still ruffly share the same features, which means the creatures can still attack in multiplayer mode. And another thing. Because we're now back on fps, I feel I can start putting back in the death match multiplayer mode. The only things that will need changed about the client are the reintigration of some of the old code that I seporated, and the server side implementation will still need a tiny bit of work. My main goal is to get the multiplayer back up and running, and to have a start on the storyline. Which brings me to an importent question. A few have asked weather i'll use the old storyline from the original project alpha, or weather i'll make a new one that follows the same path as the original. I'm gonna ask you guys, what would you prefer in that regard. I have the original project alpha still and can try and remember the storyline, though with out access to the old source code it'll make my job a lot harder trying to memorise the exact details.

Thumbs up

2017-03-12 02:05:35

you could continue it from the story mode,  and if it isn't to much trouble you can have a recap mode that either let's you play the old one or just tells you what happens?

Thumbs up

2017-03-13 09:22:53

Personally...I'm in favor of a recap mode that sums up in a few paragraphs the story of what happened.

It's neat, it sets you up and then go from there.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-13 10:55:43

Well this assumes that the old project alpha will still be kept ofcause.
I'd like it to be but then the new version will need its own program folder and start menu shortcuts folder they both can't be called project alpha.
Unless that is that you just recreate the old installer and call the old project project alpha prelude or classic or something.
It would be easier than fiddling round to much with the new one.
On that note if there is space I am available for gentle testing, though I will do online testing when I am online.
I won't commit to online testing because that will assume that I will be online a lot, and my life does not function exactly like that these days pluss due to timezones most of the online tests are done while I sleep.
Ofcause if you think I can help in other ways that would be fine to.
I shouldn't have anything for the rest of the year and over the august september period, I should have a lot more time to be online than I would usually be but whatever.

Thumbs up

2017-03-13 16:21:47

Or just make it a .zip you extract and play. No need for it to install IMHO, it's simpler and less messy if it's merely a .zip that you drag and drop into a folder and run the .exe in that.

Besides, least for me, I've had issues onn my laptop with virus scanners picking up the .exe as a false positve and you know how stupid Win 10 is with OMG VIRUS DELETE DA FILE mindsets it has....yeah. I for one would prefer a simple .zip approach from now on.

That, and having an installer also clutters up the add/remove programs list too.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-15 23:24:32

Greetings all. Continuing my work with both client and server, i've been able to get multiplayer up and running again on my local machine. Since i've had to make quite a few adjustments to the client, i've withheld putting the server back up until the update is released, which at the present time I still don't have a release date for. However, ships are once again operational, they still need quite a few major adjustments however, as docking and landing no longer works. However, as I mentioned previously, with player movement and almost everything else related to players being client side now, this has eliminated massive lag, but broke the minny games including the debris salvage one which i'll have to recode in. As for the storyline, i'm taking a bit of a different approach. I'm still gonna be using the same storyline from the original project alpha, but for those of you who might have played the first dm builds in bgt and the very ruff dm 2 build in pure basic from 2013, i'm going to be merging elements of that storyline into this one. Anyways, gotta head out, but i'll continue working and keep you posted.

Thumbs up

2017-03-16 00:28:33

cool

Thumbs up

2017-03-16 05:21:20

Danny.

I'll go back to your update post and ask questions

Ships will be orbital'

So if that's the case, why do you need docking and landing, if you said in the first post that shuttles will do the docking and landing now?

No mention of building now which is making me wonder, hey, hang on, no mention of you working on bilding, either that's done or the idea's been scaled back. I absolutely love the idea as it was thrown around in the update post. I want to start with nothing and have to work on the planet to build my nation or whatever and work my way up to a ship. I don't simply want the same crap on the server again. I don't just want the update to be the same server stuff but in first person.

I would much, MUCH rather you deliver on your original update post frankly, even if it takes a few extra days or weeks because...

I held off saying this before but I know I had discussions with people while the server was still active about this. I feel you rushed the original update out and people got bored too easily. That, well, is one reason why I'm saying you should take your time to get things working and deliver on the promise of everything in the update post, the building, first person, planetside scavenging, buidling up your nation with stuff, and buidling up orbital only ships with shuttles, basically, eveything you promised.

Danny. Here's the thing. I can't code for shit, alright?

But I've been around the gaming industry both in it and from a consumer standpoint and I've seen plenty of devs talk a big game and then fail to deliver. Take your time and get everything you promised in the update working. THEN roll the update out the door, solely because....you IMO rushed the original update out with not much to do after you exhausted the stuff in hte initial alpha/beta/whatever you wished to call it, and people were complaining on the chat there wasn't much to do and it was boring.D

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-16 07:37:45

The building system is still their, the reason I said you might not get it this update is because of the changes i've made to both server and client. Lets just put it like this. When I changed to first person and made all that effert to reduce lag by switching players to client side, I did the same with areas, that means rooms, doors, walls, items, you name it. Previously it used to be that players, and areas were entirely handled by the server. When I mygrated all that stuff over, it disrupted the current system I have for building in place, which means its going to take a bit of reworking to get it back up and running again. Everything got effected when I made the change, even the system that played sounds from the server end to the client end, since it relyed on the areas code, the only thing not really effected was the space system itself, with the acception of docking and landing. Speaking of that, I did not say that all ships were going to be orbital only. By orbital only, I was refering to ships incapable of landing, such as flagships like the galaxy battlecruiser, they will still need to dock to space stations, docking and landing are 2 different things. I said landing for ships because shuttles count as ships, and smaller craft such as freighters, after all, you wouldn't want a freighter to be stuck in orbit would you?

Thumbs up +1

2017-03-17 07:52:18

Greetings all. So in attempting to figure out how exactly to make this building system work, i'm wundering weather you guys would prefer a system where you'd need blueprints to build what would essentially be stock buildings, or weather you'd prefer a system that would let you design your buildings the way you wish, the first option would make almost every planet the same, but would be easier for people to use, the second option would be harder for people to use, but would allow you to customize each world you had, and i'd also be able to extend it to space structures such as ships and space stations. I can do the same with the first option, extending it for space use that is, but everything would basicly look the same. I'm still looking at how best to design resources, the new changes upset even the inventory and item system.

Thumbs up

2017-03-17 08:11:08

Well, i'm for blueprints.

Thumbs up

2017-03-17 08:28:46

The second option sounds awesome so you can design your own stuff. I'm not sure on how this would work though. It would be awesome to design something unique and help expand the game in this way for others to enjoy.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-03-17 19:42:21

Well, I'm for second option as it would allow players to build really unic things.

Thumbs up

2017-03-17 19:46:16

second option of course!

Thumbs up

2017-03-17 20:08:12

second option!

Sorry for my english

Thumbs up

2017-03-17 20:15:52

nice  now  game  wil  intresting  at  sky loard  i sent u mail

Thumbs up

2017-03-17 21:29:09

Second one for customizing here.

Also, this should, if done right, be good.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-17 21:38:07

Danny, you might wanna fix your signature, as that site no longer exists.

Thumbs up

2017-03-17 21:42:37

Its still up on the server but I haven't restarted it, I neglected to do it on the last reboot.

Thumbs up

2017-03-17 22:34:09

Asking this about third time now: what about the Linux version? I am really looking forward to play this but there is no Linux version

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-03-17 23:59:44

@nuno i'm still having difficulties with linux. The game in source form runs, the main problem now is that before I released the first version I screwed up my vm that had the necessary prepporations on it, mainly, I had to rebuild speech dispatcher with python 2 support since apparently ubuntu has decided that we no longer need a package for the python 2 interface to speech-dispatcher. I have a new vm set up, but with the version of ubuntu I grabbed, the version of orca included is doing this annoying thing where it starts up, then decides as soon as a new window  pops up to just quit on me, and I haven't had a large amount of time devoted to fixing the vm and setting it all back up again. I wanna move to arch for building this stuff, seeing as arch has the required stuff, but i'm encountering a problem with that set up where python-sfml completely fails to build, for anyone wundering the command i'm using to install is pacaur -S python-sfml or something like that, its either that or pacaur -S python-sfml-git. Any help on that would be grate, since I would really like to get a linux version out if at all possible with the next update.

Thumbs up

2017-03-18 00:01:14

Try yaourt -S pythonsml or pacman -S pythonsml or whatever this package is called

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-03-19 12:06:55

Its working or no? Please post the link to actual version

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/