2017-03-15 10:35:39

Hi all,
This morning, windows installed updates automatically, after which I ran into a rather odd issue. NVDA stopped working on the internet completely, simply reading Firefox windows as "unknown" and not at all responding in internet explorer.
I'm not sure if this directly relates to the newly-installed windows updates or not. Firefox also had a recent update but I could use it just fine up to when the windows updates installed.
Is anyone else who uses windows 10 and NVDA experiencing these difficulties? I can weirdly enough work with JAWS 17 just fine.
I am using the latest version of NVDA (2017.1).

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2017-03-15 10:57:46

hi. I've encountered this problem on a windows 7 machine and after many hours of asking around and researching the problem I found out that it's not at all related to the operating system. The problem may come randomly if you have a cracked version of microsoft office, doesn't matter which one. I think that this is due to the hack changing some files in your registry and windows not agreeing with it. try reinstalling microsoft office and see if it fixes the problem, for me it worked like a charm.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2017-03-15 13:33:34 (edited by bcs993 2017-03-15 13:35:42)

Interestingly enough I don't have a cracked version of office; in fact the version I presently have installed is via my university that allows us to have a free copy of office 365, so I don't have any hacks in the system that I'm aware of. Any idea why JAWS is still working fine? I can probably carry on using JAWS but would prefer not to have to restart it every 40 minutes, especially in light of the work I'm doing, so obviously I would take any chance to revert back to the free alternative.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

2017-03-15 15:08:01

So I found the solution! In case someone else has this problem as well at any point: Apparently some dll deregistered itself when windows updated. I followed instructions from this website:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807
Basically, run command prompt as administrator, then use the regsvr32 command to register the following 4 files:
c:\windows\system32\oleaut32.dll, c:\windows\syswow64\oleaut32.dll, c:\windows\system32\oleacc.dll and c:\windows\syswow64\oleacc.dll
I hope this helps someone.

Brendan
-----

2017-03-15 19:08:48

I'm on windows 7 here. As this topic seems to be about stuff not responding, I thought I'd add my two sense here.
I can use firefox OK but I've been having some strange issues too, but they didn't start today. They started a few weeks back.
Some programs are not responding lately, since December or so actually. Interestingly, these are related to Amazon, and today, Internet Explorer randomly joined the ranks.
Now, weirdly, I don't use IE so I think a program on my computer is using it at startup, maybe something from a bt  piece of software we installed a few years ago, bt broadband desktop help, which I'm thinking about uninstalling because it's been discontinued, but I'm hoping it won't leave anything weird behind. Well, interestingly, because of this ie thing, whenever I loaded up NVDA, it kept on saying Amazon Assistant not responding, even though there were no other windows open. Sometimes, an even weirder issue happened, an internet explorer page could not displayed window shows up. It says make sure, and then it shows, a really weird address. I don't remember the exact thing, but it's somethign like res://aaresources.dll or something, and also, I keep on getting security certificate errors relating to this amazon stuff.
Then, to add insult to injury... I can't uninstall it! Amazon kindle uninstaller not responding, or, amazon assistant seems to do nothing if I try to uninstall from add or remove programs. It's starting to annoy me because I have to close this unresponsive amazon window every time I start up my pc, and sometimes, it's so unresponsive that it then says microsoft html application host has stopped working as well! Basically, from all the reports I've read, I think it's a piece of software, with quite a few issues that only got installed when I tried installing the kindle app. So, basically, I got a piece of software on here without my knowledge and I can't seem to get rid of it.

2017-03-16 01:07:12

@Aaron, I personally found bt desktop[ tool a complete load of rubbish, and I'd highly recommend you get rid of it asap. It once installed a really irritating bt yahoo skin on internet explorer for me that proceeded to make it nearly incompatible with supernova which I was using at the time.
needless to say, after that eisode I killed the thing straight off, indeed you don't even need it since most bt services (for the little good they're worth), can be got through the website (well they could until they made the website screenreader unfriendly and flashy).

This is why I had to abandon my own private btinternet mail address last year (I'll probably look in to getting another private address soon with someone a little more reliablesoon). And these days I wouldn't touch any of their software with a ten foot barge pole.
eHmmm, I'm not having any issues on my machine, but my lady on her windows 7 pc is having really irritating problems with ie and slowdown, which is odd since it's not got a lot installed on it.
If it is indeed the office version that might explain the problem, though since she has a inwodws 7 machine I'm not sure what we will do.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-03-16 15:17:44

@Brendan, my Windows just installed its updates, and I don't have any weird issues.

2017-03-16 18:01:57

@Socheat, it seems as if it happened at random, not sure which of the DLLs deregistered but NVDA could basically not interact with any html content and though I didn't test it, I'm guessing (from reading the NVDA discussion I linked to in post 4) it would've failed on PDFs as well. Either way I'm glad I could sort it out as it gave me a bit of a scare, seeing that my web accessibility was practically broken.

Brendan
-----

2017-03-17 14:37:49

Nice to know that your problem has been solved.

2017-03-17 16:00:24

Hi there,
I have just solved the same problem. After an automatic update of windows 10, NVDA stoped reading menues and webpages. In my case, I found the solution (can't remember where) and after registering oleacc.dll all is working as expected again.
Unfortunately, I didn't read this toipc before, it would make it all easier... smile

2017-03-17 16:46:46

@Dark: for the bt stuff, do you know if I also have to use the manual leanup tool or do I just uninstall desktop help? It says uninstall normally, and then use manual cleanup tool, but I don't know if the tool is accessible because I haven't tried it.