2016-12-28 13:59:43

It doesn't show unrevealed quests right?

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2016-12-29 13:39:07

Of course not!

And as of 2 minutes ago, a new WORLD command will directly list all areas you know so you can look for inspiration as to what to finish (in addition to typing DIARY PENDING).

2016-12-29 14:35:29

Now I wish I wasn't so involved with christmas and new year events irl and on the other muds...:(

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-02-10 08:53:10

ah i haven't played this in a while. I am glad there are still many improvements happenning, i really did like this mud, i just stepped away for a bit more of a hack and slash, though i should return to this soon. Nice job on the continuation of mud updates:)

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2017-02-10 10:04:00

Woopse, I copied the wrong post into this topic big_smile.

Frandom is actually a really awesome game as I said, I particularly like some of the new skills.
the only problem I have currently is that I seem to be rather stuck on a quest, and it's one of those quests which is mildly annoying because my character is doing something ilogical that I don't seem to be able to find a way around.

spoilers ahoy! read on no further if you don't want the ameter quest spoiled!

I've gone to the ucalyptus forest and met the falconer who's looking for a package his falcon lost. All he tells me is he lost it somewhere around the farm yard near niss's house. Okay, so I've searched every room of the farm yard indcluding the dung pile, and a couple outside the farm too.

The only place I couldn't get to was the roof of the stables, and this is because whenever I climb the ladder I instantly slip off the roof. I confess this is the sort of puzzle I find a bit irritating because my character is doing something stupid, namely climbing the ladder to the top and standing on the bloody roof when it's slippery rather than, you know, standing on the ladder and looking at the roof from there.
I also have no idea how to avoid slipperiness of said roof, since there doesn't seem to be anything to tie a rope to and I'm pretty sure that Tanlorac doesn't have it's own line in crampons or spiked boots big_smile.

So, a hint here would really help as I'm quite stuck, indeed I don't know whether I've lost patience or brain power or what but I do seem rather stumped big_smile.

On a different note, I don't like the way that the missions command now lists "x" beside nearly all of the wizard quests, including those I've done like the nothing quest, since it makes looking at missions a bit more confusing.

When I use "diary pending" it still lists the nothing quest, but when I look at which bit of the nothing quest is pending it directs me back to the ameter quest, which is rather odd.
I do believe this is due to some recent diary changes, but still it'd be nice if there was a way to fix it, perhaps by talking to the oracle or using the spells I got from the first few quests to prove I have them.

On the plus side, I love the idea that I can now become a follower of galanhir myself, since I definitely plan to join the paladin's guild, and the descriptions and exploring are as good as ever, despite my getting stuck in the farm big_smile. I also love the new crafts and intend to try out more of them, actually that could be a great way of earning cash in the game as I said in the topic about crafting.

One thing I do wonder, is that now we have the "world" command to check what areas of the world we've visited and how complete they are, whether there could be a way to give a little direction to where some missing quests ar.e
For example I thought I'd cleared the greenwood chappel, but it's still listing as 91 percent, and though I've explored all of midwood, it's still at %57 completed in terms of quests.
Perhaps just a little nudge as to where the remaining quests in an almost completed area were to give an idea of what might need doing and where to look, eg, a command like "quest nearby" which would function if you've got over %50 of the quests in an area and would tell you the direction of the nearest room with an uncompleted quest in it (though not how to do it or what to do).

After all Frandom is a pretty big game, and I confess wandering the same area again and again can be a little tortuous, though if you think this one would make finding quests too easy fair enough.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-10 15:54:55

Dark, the roof part is part of a puzzle in a major quest way later. You don't need to worry about it now. There is, for sure, a certain way to get there without falling, which I discovered myself...and there's something really important in there too

2017-02-10 17:54:58

I realy realy like this mud! It is the first where i love to explore new areas cause it never turns out useless.
Can someone give me some tips for earning money? Are there some things i can craft allready in the beginning? I nearly broke down when i saw the price of the house in tumulus. Holy shit 10000!

2017-02-10 17:55:58

@Dark: read the descriptions carefully, there are indeed two roofs. So if you get tired of your character slipping when climbing the stable roof, maybe you should look for a way to climb to the other one wink

For the "x" in your diary, it is  because many quest items have been added in all wizard quests since last you played (e.g. a quest item when someone asks something from you). Maybe you could try and redo them? If it does not work I can have a look at those you miss an manually fix your char. This will not be an issue for new players.

Eventually, for the "quest in the neighbourhood" thing, it's not really feasible: quests are not linked to a room, an NPC or anything, so there is no simple way to do it. Keep in mind that no one can actually do 100% of everything and you don't need to: some (non mandatory) quests are really hard so everyone can have a challenge, and everyone will not have the same vision of all there is to do. In Midwood esp. there is a quest almost nobody validates, even though there is a hint and even a cookie pointing toward it.

2017-02-11 13:27:10

OK, now i need help. I am locked in a room in the farmland. I am locked cause i tryed to recall and the key to the room is lost. Recall didnt work cause i must have missed something in the room but i absolutely dont know what. In the room are some bookshelves from wich i got a dictionary and a Bureau with a mirror, a diary, some scales and a case with some silverware in it. I realy dont know what to do with all this stuff and whats still in the room. The key is lost so i cant leave the room.

2017-02-11 17:16:53

So I've actually given this mud a try, and here are my admittedly very short-term thoughts.

I like the questing aspect. I haven't died yet, and that's cool.
I'm admittedly a little confused by the way the diary works, but I'll probably get the hang of it. I'm also a llittle nervous about combat. I don't really seem to be getting good at anything, and all the spells I've learned so far seem to be of very niche use.

some
small
quest
spoilers

I've got a couple of questions. Please just give me a little nudge, I don't need my hand held.

1. So, I got the key from the farmer, went into the room with the dresser and bureau, and happened to find and read a scroll. So that was cool. But then I thought I was done, so I left. First, is there something else I should've done with that key? Second, is there something else I should've done with the farmer himself? Third, I don't have the key anymore. Can I get it back?

2. I can get Marius to say he's too shy to write his letter, but that's as far as he goes. I can get Flora to say she thinks Marius is a nice boy, and that's as far as she goes. Is this something I can actually do yet, or something I should just ignore for awhile?

3. In the destroyed house in Tumulus, could I get a nudge about that chest? I found the fork, the statue and the destroyed pillow, but haven't a clue on that chest. Maybe I missed something obvious.

end
spoilers

I've been given the quest to go to the volcano, so I guess that's where I'll be going next.

I feel like I've validated a whole pile of things, and since the game world is very open it's tough to know what I'm going to do soon and what I'm not. I, too, seem to be extremely short on money most of the time, and dropping all your stuff when you flee seems extremely harsh, even if you can just run back in and get it later. It's a right pain in the neck, let me tell ya. Do hope I start getting some combat skills to make the average fight a little easier soon.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2017-02-11 19:28:07

Spoilery answers below..

@firefly there are bookshelves and there are books. You should look 2 book to look at the books. Though I agree you should be allowed to recall, forgot about that, sorry

@Jayde
1. have you looked at everything in the bureau? Also, you can ask the farmer for the key now that you helped him once (tell nisse key)
2. Marius will never have the guts to talk to Flora.. You should look at his desk
3. Have you talked to the tinker woman just east of the house?

End of spoilers

To know what you should and should not do, look at the Oracle books: they hint at where to go for every level (though you can obviously take your chances and go wherever you want).
To not drop things when fleeing, try to pocket them, hold the most important or buy a backpack in Tumulus. The most efficient way to improve fighting odds is by getting a good weapon and armour pieces for as much as you can (every new piece adds protection). Then of course, each quest you score slightly improve your stats  but combat skills will never make up for low level or bad equipment

2017-02-12 02:16:30 (edited by Jayde 2017-02-12 05:14:03)

Righto. So I'm not gonna keep doing this, but for now, I'm going to ask.

fairly
large
spoilers
beyond

So I'm trying to open that chest. I gathered that the clues for the dials had something to do with the items. So there's a fork, a candle, a pillow and a statue. Since you encounter the candle first, and the candle gives both the number 10 (not possible) and the number 6 (possible) I set the first dial to 6. The second item you'll encounter is the fork, which talks about the number 3 (three people in the family I believe), so I set the second dial to 3. The third item, the pillow, talks about a girl murmuring the names of five men, so I set the third dial to 5. The last item is the statue, which is either 2 or 1 (two parents, one true god). Both failed to work.
So, uh, I'm confused. If there's some notion as to which order these are supposed to go in, I'm not getting it.

Farm stuff:
Okay, I went up and found the bag with the letter in the chimney, but the farmer says I'm not a falconer so he won't accept it. This kind of leaves me stuck. I did wash some farm clothes though. I'm just sort of wondering where to go next here, because I feel like the stuff I'm finding is kinda random-ish.

no
more
spoilers

OOn another note, I feel pathetically weak, and since there is aggro in certain places, and since you can't pick stuff up mid-fight, it's very easy to lose items you've been collecting. I also don't seem to have a weapon even though I'm pretty sure my dagger was kept.

I like this game. I really want to like it more. But there are things I keep struggling with which make me kind of dispirited, to say the least.

Edit: I've since done the volcano thing, I think, and addressed my issue with the falconer.
I'm in a funny position where I haven't finished the novice quest apparently, but I've finished the amateur quest and have opened the foolhardy one.
Also, who or what is Cary? I haven't even seen a whisper of that, so I have no idea where I'm even supposed to look.

2017-02-12 12:49:42

spoilers are back starting now

@Jayde:
The messages from the tinker woman contain another piece of information beyond numbers. This is how you find the correct order

If you want to know more about Cary, try help Cary!

end spoilers

If you drop things while fighting, you can try to quickly grab it after you fled. You can use the delimiter for that (semi-column). Typing n semi column get all semi column s for instance should not give the aggro enough time to attack you and let you get your stuff back. Or if the aggro is moving, you can hide in the next room and wait for them to move before going back to your stuf. Previous hint about pocket / hold / backpack still applies. Also, remember that you can have a bank vault (go to Bradlay in Tumuls or bankers in other cities) where you can store items that will be saved with your char. Later on, you can also put them in a house if you purchase one.

2017-02-12 13:41:22

Okay...

biggish
spoilers

Still stuck with the dials.

I decided to try and go chronologically. Each clue has an association with a phase in the girl's life.
The infant at dinner with parents is first; 3
Baby impressed by her parents preaching one true god; 1, since I didn't see why that would've been mentioned otherwise
ten-year-old impressed by a story about slaying six dragons; 6
teenager gthinking about five boys; 5
3165; nope
Tried it backward; nope

So, um. I'm not sure what to say at this point. If the key is something like 9942, I'm going to punch something.
But at this point, I've come at this every logical way I can think of. I'm pretty sure the numbers are 3, 1, 6 and 5, but it's tedious enough trying to move dials. I think maybe this game is not going to be for me, after all, if this is the kind of logic being used.

But hey, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I'm getting stumped in another apparently heavily quest-based game called 4 dimensions, so maybe I just suck at this.

2017-02-12 14:20:28

spoilerissimum answer starts now
You got it right, but maybe an issue with the British conception of Infant vs. baby, so basically, you reversed the first two dials.
end spoilers

This quest is probably one of the most far-fetched in Frandum: it's not 100% logical when you think about it, but all hints are provided. That's why it's not mandatory at all. It's here for players who really want to melt their brains, others will overlook it and not miss anything massive. No one has ever made 100% of the 1400 quests: there are quests of all types for all flavours of players.  If a non-mandatory quest puzzles you, you can put it aside after all. Hope you stick around and find fun in the other quests and puzzles!

2017-02-12 15:08:00

Ookay, thank you for the clarification. I did not know that about British English and infants and all that. I've known some British people too (dated one for awhile, actually) and I would never have figured that out. But now I know, so thank you.

However, on a more somber note, I think I'm dropping this game for good. Going to outline a mostly spoiler-free scenario below.

slight
spoilers

Went to Sanctuary, tried to gain admittance, failed
Wandered around the outer wall, ended up in the ocean
Got onto the beach, accidentally stumbled into the city, died because guards attacked me on sight (there were two or three involved, including a patroller)
waited nine minutes, came back, figured out how to get a pass, moved 1 south (figuring Sanctuary was big and that it wouldn't matter). Got jumped by the patroller, hit hard, dropped my pass and fled north
guard now blocks my way into the city, so I bought another pass and owned it
went back into the city, and after a seventy-second game of cat and mouse, I died yet again because the patroller was still aggro and kept hunting me.

This really neatly highlights the issue with dropping stuff when you flee, as well as essentially wasting about 25% of my on-hand money. It also raises a point that it would be nice if all current aggro on you disappeared when you died, that way if the aggro you started up was as a result of a mistake that's now remedied, you wouldn't be attacked. In this case, the patroller had no reason to keep attacking me because I did have a pass (I owned the second one and never lost it), and the whole issue would've been neatly sidestepped if, after my death, that aggro would've gone away. I'm sure those patrollers aren't aggressive if you have a pass and are in the city legitimately.

This is pretty silly stuff to be existing after this much time, unless you're -trying to drive players off. I do recognize that you're doing a ton to improve the player experience, and there are a lot of things about this game that I really do like, but there are many that I don't. A light spell or torches that lasted a lot longer/were more plentiful would be nice. I can't count how many times I've been stuck in the dark because a torch ran out or because an area aas unexpectedly dark. I just...don't have the patience for this. I know I'm not going to find or do everything, and that's okay. I know I'm going to die. That's okay too. But this kind of hangup, as I mentioned above, is just ludicrous.

If I get really bored, I might start from scratch and try to get a better foot forward, but as it stands, I...don't think so. Sorry, guys. Questy or not, I really can't recommend this one.

2017-02-12 15:26:34

@Jayde : agro is dropped when you die. But the patrollers agro on sight if you don't have a pass on you. Maybe there was a bug involved, yet a reset should clean it (if not, a quit does). I will look into it if it occurs again but dozens of players got killed once for lack of pass and then spent days in Sanctuary with a pass and were not troubled. This is the first time such a behaviour is reported. We would never code something as dumb as preventing a player for entering a city forever for any kind of reason. Reset is here to give you a clean slate if you botch anything for any reason.

As for light: perma-lit magic items, spells and invocation runes come with higher levels but remember that you can gather  branches from any tree for a quick light source. Also, to my knowledge dark rooms are expected to be dark (cellars, tunnels etc.). If you find one which is not, please report it. Torches can be held too so you don't drop them when fleeing.

2017-02-16 17:02:51

Can any explain me how to solve novice and amateur quests? On novice quest i come to farmer and what next? , and in amateur quest i find volcano, and enter in to  and i find showel i gather some crystals 6, and what after that?

2017-02-16 17:20:57

Spoilers below

For the famer, you should talk to the farmer, listen to him, what he has to say, what the riddle says, and investigate..
For the other quest, there are also people to talk to whom you could probably help in the volcano..

End spoilers (and end message, unfortunately)

2017-03-15 10:36:01

About to check this out again, remember playing this years ago.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2017-12-20 02:15:48

I'm about to try this one again.
I gave it a quick look a year or two ago, and loved it.
Now I see that there is a ton of crafting which is awesome!
Just rereading this thread, I am amazed at how quickly the developer implemented things!

2017-12-20 03:37:41

Frandum is really awesome, I'd highly recommend checking it out.
If I'm on there, you can find me under the incredibly imaginative name of dark big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-20 17:39:53

I'm Mata, and I'm around on and off. Feel free to give me a poke if you see me.

2017-12-31 18:44:37

Hello Mirage,
Even though I (Feyn) am not as connected as I used to be because of company port-restriction policies, I still take a look very regularly and always read the reports. We are actually about to release a new version of the game which is engine-rewriting heavy but does have some nice new features for players too. It should be in the news somewhere in January. I will keep you posted.

2017-12-31 19:00:47

Yaaaay! That's a blast off for my new year. Hell yar!