2017-03-12 18:32:36

So since I finally got Steam working pretty well.....

Which games absolutely, 100% work with NVDA? I was going to pick up the entire $120 CoG bundle as I love their stuff but before I do, are they actually set up to work well with NVDA at all or not? I don't wanna waste $120 on a ton of games that won't work with NVDA honestly.

Also, other games that work perfectly with NVDA would very much be appreciated.

Sitenote: Nvidia can get out of my Google results...seriously....I was looking for the format to get Steam to login with NVDA and Google was trying to sell me a GTX 1080...>.< Thanks a lot Google, I like the computer I got, it may not be an ultra powerful hurr durr PC MASTAH RACE LOLZZZZZ machine, but it does the job I need it to sooooo.....

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2017-03-12 19:31:29

Skullgirls works better than ever with NVDA. No more dealing with clipboard anymore, because Tolk is included, so it's just plug-n-play. And even though this isn't exactly an nvda compatible game rather a self-voicing one, there's A Blind Legend.

2017-03-12 20:30:52

Isn't Grail to the Thief finally on there too?

I may just go and spend a metric ton of money on hthe entire CoG bundle, then grab Blind Legend, and grab GttT and Skullgirls if I ever get my pad working again...I'll assume keyboard controls are awful, right?

Admittedly, never even considered Skullgirls, is it a fighting game or what? I know nothing about it

Managed to get the Smugglers games working again which is good.....

Okay running into an issue here, I followed the guide in the articles room but for whatever reason whenever I open up a game now it brings up a hidden window which basically says allow this game to proceed, and for whatever reason NVDA and OCR won't pick this window up at all.

Also on Linux natively

2017-03-13 00:09:42

Skullgirls's keyboard controls are actually pretty good, although it as with any game you're better off with a pad. Skullgirls is a fighting game.

2017-03-13 15:25:52

Grail to the thief is on there, and yes, the choice of games work fine with NVDA. Also, can you please give me some steam tips? Even if it's more like reminders, I haven't touched steam for a while so I'd be interested to know how you are going about using it.

2017-03-13 15:55:11

For me I just get the app ID and do a ton of batch files for the games I want to play

I.e..

c:\steam\steam.exe -applaunch XXXXXX

That would launch the game with the numbers. How to get the AppID? Go to the store, pick a game (let's say a CoG one) and in the address bar, note the numbers. Put that in after -applaunch

Should work.

I'll probably pick up GttT when I got more money, spent $120 or so on the complete CoG bundle and impressed so far. I didn't know you could remotely install Steam games without having to go to the client now though so that's a thing I guess, I can set it to download and install games without having to go and fight with said client.

Here's my custom Steam launch string.

Put this after your steam.exe in the shortcut

-login username password -nodwrite -silent

The -silent one, means it won't bring up the window and after that, you can just bring up Run and do the -applaunch thing to play games without going through  the client.

I wish somebody could release make a lighttweight client that is simply a login to check if you have the games in question in your account and nothing more. I mean, the whole -silent thing works wonderfully honestly and I got the games I wanted (CoG, Skullgirls etc) on my laptop then put Steam in offline mode, so....problem mostly solved.

Speaking of CoG stuff, I want them to add more of their stuff to Steam honestly....but are there any similar games that are NVDA compatible, i.e. text/choose your own adventure type games?

Also on Linux natively

2017-03-13 20:56:40

So Skullgirls actually has decent keyboard controls? I didn't know that was an option. I'll actually try harder into getting it now. I have a few questions though. Which Skullgirls is more accessible, or are they both the same? Is there a way to make sure it will run on my system before i get it? (might be wishful thinking but thought I'd ask anyway) I think that's all for now.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2017-03-13 22:15:19

As far as I know there's only one Skullgirls, the rest are upgrades. So you grab the bass skullgirls game which comes with accessibility anyway, then grab the second encore update to get all the dlc characters and stuff. Or, you might have to grab that and then the characters too, I'm not too sure.

2017-03-15 22:08:59

So my fear came true. I installed Steam and bought Skullgirls, but it will not run on my system. I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with my specs, because the game crashes on launch. Steam automatically installed some missing dependencies that i did not have for the game, so I'm a little bit confused as to why it will not work. If anyone has had any experience with this, I would appreciate any tips. This is probably more appropriate for a Skullgirls thread, but hey... I did look up all types of solutions online, but nothing has really worked for me. I have reinstalled Steam, and the game, more than once with no luck. As I said, the game doesn't even start. As soon as Steam launches the game, it crashes with the standard Windows error dialogue, "Such and such program has stopped working. I will now annoy you as I try to look online for a solution that I will never find so you might as well just click close program."

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2017-03-16 00:26:15

hmm, I am not too sure what to suggest here. Sorry I can't be of anymore help. I'll keep an eye on this topic though in case a solution is found so I can note it down.

2017-03-16 06:15:44

I had a similar issue the other day. I just purchased a new windows 10 gaming laptop and decided to install some of my steam games on there. I forgot to go to steam to have it make shortcuts of my games on to my desktop, and so I just decided to go and find the path to the executables of the games. I tried launching the games that way, and I kept getting windos errors. Mind you, this is a gaming laptop, with pretty high specks so, there's no way that this machine couldn't run any of the games i was trying to play. After I got steam to make shortcuts to the games, I could start up the games normally, with no errors. I'm not sure if this is the same issue you are having but, I hope this helps somewhat.

You can add me on Steam.
Here is my Twitch profile page Follow me if you want.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
Kong!

2017-03-18 03:52:03

hey guys. just figured out with cloud OCR, yugioh on steam is playable. I can make a recording soon showing it, but the original OCR addon don't work nearly as well as cloud does for this. works for menus, and everything.

2017-03-18 07:06:21

I didn't know though that any thing worked with screen readers and steam. I thought steam completely inaccessible.
But from what I'm hearing, it does seem a bit touch and go.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-03-20 20:23:12

hello guys, so I was wondering, if any of you on here, would be able to help me over Skype, on how to run steam with nvda?
I already have the OCR add on, but I'm not sure how to work it from there.
I have a steam account, I'm told there's a way to auto log me in, but... I don't know how any of that works.
I would really appreciate it, if someone would be able to help me via voice. If you go ahead and reply to this thread, I'll email, or private message you my Skype info. I'd rather it not be out in public.
Thank you again.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-03-21 05:52:34

It's pretty easy to do. I don't think you even need an OCR addOn with NVDA and steam now.

You can add me on Steam.
Kong!

2017-03-21 22:43:57

Oh you do, but I had some help yesterday.
Thank you for your offer.

Emily Dickenson

2017-03-22 01:54:34

I don't ever use OCR with NVDA and steam. Weird.

You can add me on Steam.
Kong!

2017-03-22 06:26:40

I don't either. That steam guide really needs to be updated.

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2017-03-24 20:15:45

Wait, wait, if you don't use OCR for steam, how do you read the screen?
I'm using NVDA 17, which I believe is the latest.

Emily Dickenson

2017-03-24 20:28:44

Unless things have changed 180 degrees, steam wasn't usable at all without OCR. I doubt things have changed that much.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2017-03-24 20:51:46

It just works now, with the NVDA screen review, and by using your NVDA review keys.

You can add me on Steam.
Kong!

2017-03-24 23:02:58

Hold on, what are your NVDA review keys?
NVDA is not my main screen reader, jaws is, and so I am not so familiar with it.

Emily Dickenson

2017-03-27 21:02:20

Well, if you are using a desktop keyboard with a 10key layout, you would use those numbers with numlock off. 7 and 9 moves you by line, 4 and 6 moves you by word, 1 and 3 moves you by letters.
NVDA + 7 will put you in screen review, which will allow you to move around steam. When you find something you wanted to click on, you would do NVDA + numpad divide to move your mouse to the location, and press numpad divide by itself, to actually click on the item. If you wanted to right click on it instead, you would just use numpad multiply, instead of numpad divide.

You can add me on Steam.
Kong!

2017-03-28 01:30:29

Can you try the jaws cursor? I never tried it.

2017-03-28 02:59:35

Not sure. I don't use Jaws, and don't even have it.
I'm sure it should work though, because my friend uses Jaws with Steam.

You can add me on Steam.
Kong!