2017-03-13 00:29:51 (edited by Rocky Waters 2017-03-13 02:44:48)

This is a take on the classic space invaders game. The all new version 2 has had a huge upgrade.  the game now includes 30 waves of aliens, a variety of ship sounds, mother ships, accuracy bonuses, and special attacks.  Special attacks include missiles, electric strikes, rapid fire and force fields.  With retro low vision graphics and stereo audio, this game can be played by sight or by sound.  The game has screen reader support, a choice of background music, a local scoreboard plus an on-line scoreboard.  I am hoping you find this game a real blast.  For fans of spacey Vaders in it's old form, you will be happy to hear that the sound panning and aiming has been much improved.

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2017-03-13 00:33:09

where's the link?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2017-03-13 00:34:38 (edited by Rocky Waters 2017-03-13 00:35:29)

oopsy available at
www.rockywaters.co.uk
The game comes with an installer package, and if this proves popular I will convert my other games to similar.  I would be very grateful if someone writes up a review of this game for Dark.  cheers, enjoy.

2017-03-13 02:33:00

well done rocky. great work on this. really good fun.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2017-03-13 02:35:11

Well rocky it was a pleasure to test the game.
I look forward to test more in the future.
I couldn't even finnish the beta of it, the last 8 waves are damn hard.
If you can win the first few waves you should be able to fight your way clear, I did manage to beat the game once.
On the subject, while I do like installers portable versions are still a good idea especially for those that want to run the games off flash drives or who do not have admin access to install the games.

2017-03-13 02:41:48 (edited by SirBadger 2017-03-13 02:43:44)

you can make a portable version just by copying the installed folder from your program files or program files (x86) depending on your system.

usually people have admin rites anyway but if not apps key on the installer should give you the option to run as administrator anyway which should let you install it. I guess on office networks and things this may not work however.

2017-03-13 04:44:10

Hi.
as promised here is my recording.
I almost finnished the game but its hard as rocks.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg8bzi2hyrfys … 2.mp3?dl=1

2017-03-13 04:57:08

Excellent recording Crashmaster!

I think people are either forgetting to submit their high scores, or they are choosing not to.  Post them people, because I want to see how well everyone does before I jump in to be the best.  Muhahaha!  I'm joking of course, but I do only see 2 scores on the high score list at the moment, and I'm sure way more people have played than 2.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-03-13 05:25:53

well done crash. although you do need to learn to aim better. lol.
you could have got a really massive score there.

well done on the recording though.

2017-03-13 05:31:55 (edited by SirBadger 2017-03-13 05:46:11)

I don't think rocky pointed this out, but when you post your high scores online they are different to the offline scoreboard on your computer. you can view the top 50 online scores by going to www.rockywaters.co.uk

and remember after you finish your game to go back to the main menu and hit the submit your score to the online scoreboard option.

2017-03-13 06:34:45

Okay, I confess I've been rather lazy about site updates recently, bu I do like the graphics in this one and the fact that I can play just as well with my screen on or off, indeed I like the way I can use both the sound and my vision concurrently.
The bonuses are also rather fun, though you might consider something like an unlockable random mode or something else, since while the different waves are great I do wonder what happens when a person finishes the game (wave 28 is my best thus far).

Either way, appologies for getting to the rocky waters games so late, I will however try to remedy things, and to begin with here is the db entry for Rocky's space invaders

Bare in mind the db pages are more in the manner of descriptions than reviews. They aren't there to look at a game crytically, but to give information and hopefully a bit of an enthusiastic response to anyone who might want to try them out.

Either way hope you like the entry, and thanks for the game, I'll check out some others (I did briefly have a go at game of floods I recall).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-03-13 08:03:09 (edited by stewie 2017-03-13 08:03:47)

Is there any chance you can decrease the pan step a bit? I find the sound of the enemy ship goes from straight in front of you to like a fifth left when you move one step right. I keep thinking ships are way further away than they are. Also I think it would be cool if the ships played a more continuous sound, as it is now its hard to tell which direction they're moving when they're all moving in different directions.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2017-03-13 10:42:47

Firstly a big thankyou Crash, nice recording.  Heard you turn on the rapid fire and get those missiles going when it got rather hot.  Perhaps its not clear at the end of the game that you need to return to the main menu in order to post your score on line.

2017-03-13 10:47:42

I couldn't help noticing that when it asked for a name it says your twice so enter your your name or something like that.
However since the game is installed, I do wander if there is a way to have a setting file with your saved name so you don't have to enter it in each time.

2017-03-13 11:02:51

Wow Dark.  That game entry is awesome, very awesome.  Makes me want to play.  Not entirely sure I have done the ending justice.  I should point out that everyone will die at some point, the game just gets harder and harder, if you make it to the so called "death wave" you can consider you have completed the game, but then you die.  If there is ever a version3 then a story mode might be possible and an unlockable arcade mode, for those wanting a faster or longer blast on the rapid fire.  I am still very much learning the trade here, my central idea was that survival is a player's first priority, but replay value comes from getting better accuracy.  To balance out the audio gamer and the sighted gamer, I have introduced a number of invisible or black ships.  Ramble over, cheers Dark.

2017-03-13 11:16:03

Stewie, targeting can be difficult.  I tried to balance out the need to get across the screen quickly with a small enough step to aim well.  I find a good technique is to get ahead of an alien and let it drift into the centre of your field of fire.  The sound volumes are adjusted 60 times per second, instead of once per second as in VadersV1.  Having said all that, it is still tricky when there are several ships to aim at.  My own way of dealing with this is to try to get a high accuracy with the singles and to blast away and try to survive the multiple waves.  It could be possible at some point to add a smaller increment for a single key tap or slower ship speed, perhaps on different keys.

2017-03-13 11:22:28

Needs saying.  Massive thanks to Aprone for coding and hosting the on line scoreboard.  It raises the game.

2017-03-13 22:22:19

I noticed this game is coded in Python. I'm curious, which sound library did you use? I wish to know how to make games in Python some day.

2017-03-13 22:34:38

I used pygame, for the visuals and also for the sounds.  Pygame has some very good on line docs and tutorials.  For the screen reader support I used Accessible Output 2, however the docs for this are pretty much non existent.  I am told Piglet is a good alternative to Pygame but I have not tried it out at all.  Hope that helps in some way.

2017-03-14 17:06:59

Hi, I noticed that when you're in the learn game sounds menu and you go to the return to main menu button or whatever it is. You can't press enter on it. You have to press escape to go back to the main menu. I think this may be a bug.

2017-03-14 17:31:18

Yep that's a bug.  cheers.  Fortunately escape also works to go back to the previous menu.

2017-03-14 18:37:25

I noticed this to during testing but thought it was a quirky game feature and thought it was normal.

2017-03-14 19:29:59

I'm enjoying the game but I think there should be a sonar sound to indicate When a ship is in the center of my speakers.
I'm finding it difficult to aim my gun without a sound that plays When a ship is Infront of my speakers.
can you add a sonar sound so that When I aim my gun it should play so that I don't end up missing bonus abilities?
also, I think there should be a Storyline in the game that has cutscenes for each level.
I like cutscenes especially bosses etc.
and then there also should be a trophy system Where you earn trophies for completing each task in the game.
each time I earn a trophy, there should be unlockable contents like theater mode where you listen to pieces of audio like in judgement day from l-works.

2017-03-14 22:11:57

Ok if you are taking requests, can I get heat seaking missiles?

2017-03-15 01:52:36

Well I had a request for multi coloured dragons, and there's sort of white, green, red and black dragons.  Admitedly the request stated dragons you could race, sorry about that, but it is a space game and racing your own dragons is frankly one step too far.  But getting back to the central point, yes heat seaking missiles is definitely a good idea, and would be very useful against those dragon ships.  Any other suggestions for version 3 most welcome.