2017-03-08 00:23:46 (edited by Sebby 2017-03-08 10:11:36)

TBD. Topic remains for the replies, but Mason has since further clarified that it's about this one project. Topic also unstuck.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-03-08 01:11:31

Thanks Mason in advance.
I'm wondering still though, where desafio mortal stands and what code it used. Honestly, I'd jsut like that game back because it had some good concepts. I also think BlinkWizard should be aloud to stay here too. Thus, I ask: Am I aloud to re-open the desafio mortal topic?

2017-03-08 01:14:19

I think this is a terrible decision, now it gives the low life pieces of crap out there not only the opportunity to distribute their games derived by UP code, but also it sets a precedent that stealing code is OK, because eventually people will get tired of seeing the topics and just say well OK, I've had it, have at it peeps. I think this will bring more low quality games to the forefront, that, to be honest, don't deserve a page here, because they were thrown together in a week or two because they got a leg up off of stolen code.

I sympethize with forum staff who have had to deal with the torrent of UP related games off of this mass barrage of code stealing that has taken place. I get that it is not fun to be a moderator, it is a responsibility, and you have to make a lot of tough decisions. I get that even though you have taken the responsibility of standing up for game developers, this is a slog of a fight that can get wearing at times. I'm sure there are other factors that I don't get, and wouldn't get unless I had spent time as a moderator of this forum, I'm not trying to act as if I know what's like, I am just pulling from other life experiences here. I also get that the decision is made, and I have no say in the matter. I am simply writing about this because it concerns me that now, people will be able to use UP code to write games that they will throw up and that are probably gonna suck. If you want code base to start off with, find a lib or two. If you want to learn, ask people to help you. Or, read the BGT manual. It's pretty in depth. I also get that coding is hard work, and you need to look at examples to know how certain things work, that's how I learn best, and I will tell you as you have seen me write here many times before, I, suck, at, coding! It does help to have examples, it does help to be able to look through others' code to see how they have done things. But, coding is more than just that, its solving problems, and when you work for what you want, it is a lot better, and a lot more satisfying when you make progress, when you achieve the goals that you've set out to. You feel a sense of well-being and accomplishment. I don't condone code stealing at all. I also don't' want to play a game if I know that it's source was derived from stolen code.

I just think this will come back to bite us all in the end, when we are flooded with low quality games that aren't worth our time. I also don't think it was right to cave in and say OK, just, just have it. But that's just me. Anyway, not trying to bash here, just trying to get my point across.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-08 01:20:24

@ironcross32: I think the community will speak if a game is nothing but ultrapower itself with nothing else added, and I think those games will just die. With stuff like Desafio Mortal, it shows that expansion is possible from the ultrapower code, and I think if people were to just put up games that had nothing new now, it'd be an utter mess. So, it's up to people to make judgement and not jsut get the code, rename it, and upload, because in the end it will just hurt their development.

2017-03-08 01:32:15

@Aaron:

Exactly. IMO this is a good thing for people who want to expand and build on a solid base for their own game. It's sort of like having an Unreal or Source engine type codebase, reliable and there, it's merely up to people to figure out what they want to add to it.

That, and make it stand out from the crowd. Oh and on the subject of 'zomg its a clone'. Mobile gaming, anyone?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-03-08 04:50:10

Well, much to my disliking, I have set UP free, as stated before. It wasn't a choice I wanted to make, seeing so much of my hard work and others' hard work put to waste. However, I do understand what this means, I'll probably be hated because of my decission. And here's why I chose it.

No matter if I had or hadn't, people were just gonna keep posting UP topics over and over and either way there's nothing we could've done about it. And I really don't care as much what happens to my code.

If someone propperly can expand and update that code, they will prove themselves a decent coder. If it's just a UP clone, then it's not worth anything. Ug I don't know. Any decission I would've made someone wasn't gonna be happy. Sometimes I just wish I'd never created that game and worked on that for so long. I don't know what to do at this point.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2017-03-08 05:06:40

Well you can't please everyone, that's a sure way to stress yourself out over something you can't control. If you're going to worry about things in thi life, it's prudent to only worry about things which you can control.

@Aaron true enough, I just don't like the message, which seems to be that if you persist, you'll get what you want, even if its morally and ethically questionable.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-08 05:35:36

Mason, I feel bad that you have been somewhat forced into this position, because the users of your stolen code have shown they are not going to stop.  It's true you are "choosing" to make Ultra power free, but I understand that this is actually a gift you are giving to myself and the other moderators.  This is not a developer happily giving something to the rest of the dev community, this is a person letting the moderator team off the hook, realizing how much work it will be for us to police and battle to stop the future "UP clones".  (I used the popularized term "UP clone" to refer to games created using Mason's original code.)

Mason I thank you.  As a fellow developer I can appreciate what it took to do this, and I believe I understand the reasons behind it.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-03-08 05:38:08

This is a hard position for me, even because Seby's post says more than I actually said. I only initially said I'd allow it, and by it I only meant the recent UP clone. I was unclear in what I said and now he's saying I made UP's sourcecode free and that I'm OK with everyone using and and ... No. gaaaaaaa. I'm frustrated, not at you, not at anyone in particular, I'm just frustrated. I don't like the position I'm in and I wish it would just die. I don't care about UP anymore, I don't, It's just code, it was a long time ago, can it please just die? Please?

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!

2017-03-08 06:17:10

masonian wrote:

This is a hard position for me, even because Seby's post says more than I actually said. I only initially said I'd allow it, and by it I only meant the recent UP clone. I was unclear in what I said and now he's saying I made UP's sourcecode free and that I'm OK with everyone using and and ... No. gaaaaaaa. I'm frustrated, not at you, not at anyone in particular, I'm just frustrated. I don't like the position I'm in and I wish it would just die. I don't care about UP anymore, I don't, It's just code, it was a long time ago, can it please just die? Please?

ok, here's my opinion on this.
even though myself i was a shitty bitch cause i made clones of it back at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016 i really disagree with you mason. can you stop them? ofcourse not. i really don't wanna know how many private clones are made of ultra power and btb, but dude, come on, people are sick of stupid clones on forum. you should really have thought about this before setting it as free. on the other hand i feel bad for the mods for having that much to deal with this, but trust me, i wouldn't do such thing. it's your code, not their. that's what you have to think about. just you and sam know how much god damn time have spent to make this game possible and awesome, and guess what? some stupid person decides to ruin it. and well, the past is the past, but like i said you have to think about more aspects before saying well, i don't give a fuck about this, i'm gonna make it free. you also have to be ok with yourself. cause if now you hate yourself for that, then it's not a good decision at all.
thanks

2017-03-08 06:43:22

Hi,

Looks like there has been some... error in communication.
masonian says that he was just ok with  desafio mortal using UP source code and sebby mistook it as the UP sourcecode being free for anyone and everyone.

I actually agreed with Sebby's post and was like this'll bring in many clones but ones that were nothing but UP would just be forgotten after a while...

@masonian, honestly though at this point you'd be better off allowing people to use that code than not since so many already seem to have access to the code. If you want to forget about it and want nothing to do with it anymore, then do just that. forget about it, let people do whatever and call it done and done.
Let the community deal with the rest. J IMO, of course.

grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-03-08 06:44:08

I guess that's fair.

2017-03-08 06:56:53

@Mason, giving hatred to yourself would really take your motivation down. All know that you develop well, despite the period of time you abandon a certain project, like what happened to Redspot and the way you insist on stopping due to your own desire or rather, the absance you've taken way ago. All of us will someday know that if a game is released, we'd know whether it is stolen from Ultra Power's source or not, even if they change things. What can they do for example? Make it 3d rotational? and 2d not side scrolling? It'll be soon known, no matter what they change or add.

2017-03-08 08:28:07

Hi Mason.
Thanks so much for your decision. I hope this will give less drama in the future. I hope people will enjoy the sourcecode. Do you plan a public release of the sourcecode and maybe the server as well?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-03-08 08:45:53

No, I do and will not.

2017-03-08 08:51:39 (edited by ivan_soto 2017-03-08 08:55:16)

As someone who worked with Ultrapower's code after it was leaked, I can only say this: if you want to make a game, I would make it from scratch and not rely o much on that source code. Here's why. First, its your own code. Nothing's better than looking at your own code, and understanding the entire thing. You worked on it, you made it, its just better. Second: The source code to that game can go so far, and the server is very, very, very, laggy! Sure, people can fix it, but that would take quite a bit of work and at that point, you're better off writing your own server. I mean, the way I would put it, go ahead, use some of that code, like the map system, for example. But hey, that's not my decision because whatever you choose to do with the code is your own choice. Mason, I would like to say thank you, for releasing that code to the public and allowing it to be used. At first I was a little bit mad because now that's all we're gonna see, is the forum getting spammed with Ultrapower topics. But hey, your game, your code. If anything you're doing me a favor, trying to stop these people from creating more clones. I have to say that takes a lot out of someone to just give that code out for people to use. While I have done some things in the past that are questionable regarding that subject, I am going to say sorry to whatever I've done concerning that. To be honest, if I didn't get so mad, we wouldn't have to go this far. The plan was to start a new game based on the source code for UP. But no, here I am using the source to log in to UP and eventually giving out the source code. But o well, I can't go back. If I could, I would have never done that.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2017-03-08 08:52:49

I agree with Blink about just make your own code. I mean honestly, it does quite a lot for your ego. big_smile

2017-03-08 09:49:04

Hello.
I reading this topic and thinking:
Ultra pover is a good game, in 2016 or january 2017 i searching a code to open server and small modifications.  At the time, I was a bad person. In actually time i thing  With stealing codes is really bad thing Sam did not want me to have someone stole code My game, if I wrote some sort.
greetings

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/

2017-03-08 10:28:18

Thanks for making the change to this topic Sebby, actually it was apparently being changed while I was typing a post.  That old post no longer applies so I'm starting over on this new one.

To everyone who posted on this topic before reading what Mason wrote, please take note that you were probably responding to incorrect information.  A mistake was made in relying a message from Mason, and Mason should not be held to any of what was said.  I suppose this is a problem with the "he said", "she said" game, haha.

Mason, don't back down from what you actually want, regardless of the mistake that was made in this topic.  I for one don't want you caving in to some bizarre form of peer pressure here.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-03-08 10:54:48

Ta, Aprone. I changed the title and text. For those unaware, it promised that Mason had liberated the code. I mistook his allowing DM for all of UltraPower. I think this is reasonable, if you consider that DM is just one such UltraPower derivative, albeit rather better than most.

But now for the real questions. Mason, if you aren't opening it up, what exactly are you proposing? If we were to allow DM, how is it different from allowing any game? And how will we know which of the games to allow, and which not? And if all it takes to get access to your code is to raise an embarrassing stench on this board, how is it good for the forum, and what kind of a message are we sending that code stealing is OK, you'll get your way eventually, just shout very loudly on a public topic?

I want to respect your wishes, I really do. And to others who have observed, you're quite right it's a bloody difficult and annoying thing to have to do, and we do it because we're principled and give a damn and we don't want to see bad behaviour rewarded. But sooner or later there must come some definite end to this drama. Sooner or later, we will either absolve ourselves, by absolute necessity, of all responsibility of this kind, or simply forbid anything. We'll probably have to write a rule, to the effect of "no theft", regardless, and that's just what every new developer wants to read when writing a new game, I'm sure you'll agree.

Come on Mason, please decide, once and for all. If you want it to disappear, no problem. If you want to give it away and end all the doubt, that's cool too. Whatever you decide, we will respect your wishes, but we will have to make it policy and there can't be any turning back. Thank you.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-03-08 16:25:09

Hi. So, I believe I should have a say in this matter, especially on this DM clone in particular ware a lot of the "fun" on that game was exploring the maps. I want it to be noted in what ever decision that I honestly should have a say in because of this, but the map system, and the inventory system are both mine that I gave to mason when the project was still a good project. I still use these systems today so it is not even outdated code or anything. I know I gave it to mason but that was when the project was still going strong before this all started. I really believe I should have at least a bit of athoritive say in the matter, sense we are talking about stolen source code.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2017-03-08 16:27:56

See, this is hard because I get what you're saying. I just wish MP never happened to be honeest and to say I'll have nothing of it would be unfair. You also have to understand that it's not just my code at stake here. It's Sam Tupy and NS Studios's code and I'm not willing to decide for both of them. I made a mistake in deciding what I did in the first place, not even thinking about Sam or NS. This was a bad move on my part, and me and Sam had a not so nice discussion about it which made me realize some things.

While it's true a lot of you may not like Sam for one reason or another, it is also true that quite a bit of UP's core code was written by Sam. For instance, the initial server code, as well as the inventory and map systems, to name a few.

So as I've said before, I'm not OK with making the final decissions on this one. I hope you understand. I hope that me, Sam, you, and NS can make a final decission that nobody's mad about here.

2017-03-08 17:19:04

@Moderator or Admins: Mason is not developing this game now this game is a clone though, and the source code of this software has been modified and the source code is shared here at the same time there are very big changes in the game, I think the topic of how to play this game you must open the ultra power is stolen from the source code change was made though in this game a lot, watch, changes and so on, plane, train, and more. I think this thread should open.

If that's helpfull, why don't you press Thumbs up?

2017-03-08 17:41:43

I think a generalized no theft policy should be in effect. But, its not the Mod team's responsibility to decompile every new game and check it against source code already in existence, its the job of the developer who might suspect their code is being used in such a manner to report it. That, or a concerned player who suspects this.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-08 17:45:45

Tabutcu I am having difficulty understanding what you are trying to say.  If you would, please rephrase your message so I can hopefully understand it better.

Mason and Sam, if the Ultra power code contained work from 3 developers (you both and NS), and I can assume that none of you wanted the code to make its way into the hands of so many people, then I agree you should all have a say in this manner.  I would like to hear what you have to say.

When it comes to the initial misunderstanding on this thread, it sounds like the only question was whether or not Mason would allow the recent Desafio Mortal game to use the "stolen" source code.  By choosing to give permission for that game to use the code, it would allow that game to once again be discussed and supported here on the message board without any forum rules being violated.

Now that the misunderstanding has been pointed out, I can't help but think even the decision to help the Desafio Mortal team, was not something you intended to do.  Reading that giving such permission may involve 2 other developers besides yourself further complicates things, even if you are ready to grant Desafio permission to use that code.

The way I see it, nothing said here will change this forum's rules regarding the use of stolen code (code used without the original developer's permission).  Even if Mason, Sam, and NS were to all grant total permission to use anything they've ever written, it would not affect the forum's rules.  After all, at the moment we are focusing on an incident involving Ultra power code, but next week we may be faced with an entirely different developer's code being misused.

If Mason, Sam, NS, or anyone else involved in the creation of the Ultra power code, choose to give official permission to the Desafio team to use that code, I have to wonder what exactly that would accomplish.  The moderator team's job will not have changed, it will only mean there is 1 less game we have to "keep off" the forum.  The work of investigating the Desafio game has already been done, so making an exception for this 1 game is not going to save us from anything.  Now of course I'm not trying to convince you to NOT help out the Desafio team, but I have the feeling that you may only be considering it as some way to make life easier on the moderation team.  If that was in fact your motivation, then please rethink your plan because it would not.

Regardless of what you decide, the moderators will still have the same rule against people using code without permission.  Regardless of what you decide, the laborious work of investigating Desafio Mortal was already done.  The only thing you may choose to change here, is to allow the Desafio team to bring their game back to this forum without first removing (or crediting you for) the original Ultra power source code.

- Aprone
Aprone's software