2017-03-06 03:00:07

For me it didn't work

73 Wj3u

2017-03-06 05:36:19

I'm a he... not a her tongue
That being said, You'll want to head over
here,
Find post 512 and follow my instructions to get the screen reader up and running under kodi 17. Alternatively, Give me some time and I'll put together a preconfigured version that runs in portable mode. It will still operate the same aside from a slightly different method of launching it, but you can still install addons and the like. The best part as it's completely standalone so you can throw it on a USB stick and take your kodi with you.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-03-06 12:36:43

Give me the preconfigured one, a s my Kodi 17b  crashes a lot.

73 Wj3u

2017-03-06 16:16:59

A portable kodi has already been created, let me make sure that the kodi is 17, and I'll post it here.  Also sorry, don't know why I thought you were a she.

2017-03-06 17:39:33

I have a portable kodi but is not 17.
I try to follow the steps from post 512 but my kodi17 still crashs, lol don't no what I'm doing wrong.

follow me on
twitter
now go away, don't talk to me

2017-03-07 04:58:53

you can just download the Kodi add-ons package from www.jennios.com under the media apps and streams and put it in your kodi user directory. This has the screen-reader, along with may other addon's preeinstalled

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2017-03-07 05:56:27

I just discovered a trick to enable and disable the screen reader with out having to launch kodi.

What you need to do is go to where kodi stores the settings for your addones, usually it's located in %appdata%\kodi\userdata\addon_data.

If you got kodi from the windows store, then finding your settings can be a bit tricky.

Once there, look for a folder called service.xbmc.tts.

Hit enter and look for a file that says enabled or disabled.

Simply change the name, depending on whether you want the screen reader to start when you run kodi.

It's a longer way of doing things, but at least you're not fiddling around with registry keys.

Now, if there was a way to tell which screen reader to launch at startup, that would solv
memorising key presses or getting a sighted person to configure the screen reader for you, cause let's face it, even when you have your configuration set to start using NVDA, it doesn't stick when you update to version 17, at least for me it doesn't.

2017-03-07 06:44:14

hey ernie, just a heads up. Your addon pack is double the size it needs to be. You might want to remove 4.7z, as it's doubleing the download size and as far as I can tell the second archives just a duplicate of everything that's already there

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-03-07 15:09:39

Do you mean enabler.py?   I have thaht and enabler.pyo.  Wonder if this trick works on the mac?

2017-03-07 19:10:54

Hello. I tried to read the article about installing  the screen reader and it said it could not be found. Also I have been trying to get kody to speak with a screen reader.

2017-03-07 20:14:34

I can't get it working either..... I downloaded the addons and copied them and the screen reader still does not come up and and I don't have that enable or disable tts file in the config directory.

2017-03-08 04:26:50

It looks like that file only appears once you've disabled the addon.

Since it's enabled by default, you would need to disable it with f 12 before the file shows up.

If you don't have the keymap set in the addons configuration setting, you would need to find the addon through system addons my addons services kodi screen reader.

2017-04-04 18:40:30

Just wanted to resurrect this to say I went on up to Kodi 17.1 and now the screenreader crashes my Windows version every time without fail. Anyone care to help with this, worked fine under 16.1, went on to 17.1. and now bam, starts up, beeps, insta crash

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2017-04-04 21:26:37

Okay I went back to 16.1 since I got told if I set it to anything other than SAPI it'd work with Krypton, but it always defaults to SAPI on an upgrade, and thus, crashes.

Anyone got a workaround or know how I can manually edit the config the addon uses to auto start with...say....NVDA or Google (yes I got Google TTS as a choice...weird)

Also on Linux natively

2017-04-05 13:15:55

I got someone sighted to take a look at the screen reader settings after updating to 17.1.

Before updating I had it set to NVDA, and it was still set to NVDA when I updated, yet it still crashed.

I thought it reverted to sapi when updating, hense the crash, but, like I said it was still set to NVDA.

At this rate, I think my Kodi days are over, at least for the forseeable future, or stay on 16.1.

They don't force you to update after all.

2017-04-16 05:12:17

Need some help here. Friend just suggested I grab Kodi 17.1, so I can get my Doctor Who fix. tongue Obviously, I quickly realized it didn't work for beans with either Window-Eyes or NVDA. I came across the Kodi Screen Reader on a Google search, downloaded and installed the Windows installer package, but when I launch Kodi I get the ui sounds, no speech though. I really don't have any sighted assistance available to try and tinker to get the think up and running, is there some way I can get it going myself? Thanks.

AKA president731

2017-04-19 06:13:31

I have the same question. Unless someone has a portable copy and they can link to it on dropbox or something. I wonder how easy it would be able to have kodi speaking automatically or make a windows installer that works and enables the screen reader automatically.

2017-04-19 14:10:07

I have me to the problem.
I do not have sigted help here and I can get a sigted person but I do not know how to setup the screenreader.
Thanks in advance.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-04-19 14:25:37

I'll upload my addons in a few once I figure Dropbox out again...been ages since I used it.

Also on Linux natively

2017-04-19 14:53:34

Uploaded my addons folder.

Try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ni7ivu0oi2ucr … s.rar?dl=0

Extract to %appdata%\kodi\addons and hopefully it should work if you have NVDA installed.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-04-19 16:22:21

Thanks for addons. and now, how to start the screen reader?

2017-04-19 16:37:29

Do you hear two beeps?

If so, hit F12 a few times till it starts. It should start  up automatically after it beeps once you extract the files, then start Kodi.

If not, hit F12
a few times till you get a voice. If you are using NVDA it should detect that. IIRC Sapi still doesn't work on Kodi 17. still, though I've not read any more on if that got fixed.
Draco

2017-04-19 22:03:17

The problem is it is not beeping.
What can I do?

2017-04-19 22:16:25

Did you extract the folder to the right location and make sure it extracted properly, and did you install Kodi properly (i.e. full install)?

Just basic steps but personally I haven't had it not beep at me before, strange....I'm gonna assume you're on Windows, right?

Draco

2017-04-19 23:47:52

Hello slender. Thanks for that link. I'll try it out and let you know what I get. I'm running windows 10 64 bit here and will be installing kodi 17.