2017-02-26 12:46:21

(I've just found this from a video gaming community forum, cheers to them for posting it)
Steam just introduced Steam Audio, an SDK that in my opinion will bring  us much, much more closer to VR technology!
Brace yourselves everybody, If some random developer decides to do the right thing, You'll find yourself wanting to buy a VR headset for a new total gaming experience.
I am going to paste the link,. This is the article which introduces us to Steam Audio, the Software development kit that Steam is working on. You will find an intro to this new technology, two videos showcasing some audio aspects of it, and further links to comment and join the Steam Audio community If you like.
link:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/596420/ … 6582988261
Youtube video link one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lywYAGSgdc
Youtube link two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vqK6pDYa0

First of all, remember guys that this feature is for the VR technology. If you do not know what  it is, You can quickly google the subject.
Basically, excluding the visual information, You will having a headset around your ears and the environment changes as you turn your body around, or even sit down, lie down or stand up in a room. (You actually need  free space in your room for it)
A game that fully implements this feature, Will allow us to hear game elements exactly  how they relate according to our position. This is absolutely  revolutionary In my opinion. study that article and let me know  of  your comments.
Cheers

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2017-02-26 17:48:25

Good gosh the part where it sounds like it's coming from above, and also, in the second, the one where it's echoing from very far away!

2017-02-26 21:53:02

Wow, how not cool!
Not cool?
Who is going to shell out the expence for vr tech when valve shows no interest in making the client even accessible.
True we can jump through hoops to make it but its hit and miss and certainly on nvda its not working for me.
So I need to buy jaws to get steam to work in a limited horrible fecking crappy way?
Steam can have all the bells and whistles it darn well likes but its no good if the standard client is basically fucking useless making steam totally crap because valve refuses to move its fat ass.
I am sorry for the rant but until valve actually put the effort in to making steam actually using standard controls, making it work both with the registration on the website and the client for all platforms its still a no go for me.
The website bar the capcha actually works reasonably.
The client just doesn't work and while some have got it to work its not exactly a dependable solution.
Steam is not crap, but valve refuse to aknowledge the disabled.
We don't need a new protocol we need a working client first and formost, I could give less than a nibbled cracker for all this means.
No it doesn't mean I will be  buying a vr set any time soon.
My place is full enough as it is, and even if I was going to get one it wouldn't be for steam.
Valve shows no interest in making steam client the frontend of steam on most devices work and so I will continue to tell everyon that steam is fucking crap till they do.
It won't change anything but if valve refuse under preasure from petitions and complaints I see no reason why any of us should even mention stam in fact why do we mention it at all.
Steam has been and is destined to stay inaccessible, so it should be ignored reguardless of the fact some blind stuff may be on it, and all those that use steam as a sole previder should be ignored to.
Steam has a lot of good features even for us at sonnar but I can not in good concience recomend something that is not accessible and who's company refuses to make what is arguably one of the most accessible clients work.
This vr audio is nice as another thing in the shop but if steam doesn't make its client work then its not like we can take advantage of it, we can't take advantage of standard steam as it is.
And even for those that have found a work around for some stuff how long it will stay is anyone's guess.
I really think either someone needs to get valve to make their client accessible or simply make an accessible client for steam, I am not sure if you legally can and if they can't then tough, if valve refuses I see no reason why others can't make a client, at any rate if valve sue us over it what can they sue us for, making a client which isn't their own when they care little about the accessibility of their own client?
I really don't care to make it some sort of law for this but if it has to be, even if all valve does is allow screen readers to be controled with tolque or something and make all their interfaces using standard accessibility guidelines even if they did that to a minimal extent even if users would still have to write modules afterwards it would be a start.

2017-02-27 00:27:50

Yeah cool and all but Valve don't give a shit about us, never have and I don't see it changing any time soon, so who's gonna buy the hardware just to fight with accessibility issues with the client.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-02-27 01:35:02 (edited by magurp244 2017-02-27 01:36:37)

The library isn't dependant on Steam to use, so it could be used just by itself, with Occulus or any other VR headset independant of Steam. Course, the whole VR scene's kind of screwed up, they're trying to push the idea hard but the price point and console'esk exclusivity crap for what amounts to a glorified peripherial is really hurting adoption.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-02-27 01:56:08

never mind vr, this could be the kind of thing that makes an audio game sound really... really good.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-02-27 03:22:59

The thing being is that you need a computer with hardware being able to render a constant 90 FPS for VR or the experience not only becomes unsteady, but sighted people get really screwed up over it. But we'd probably still need a system like that because I'm sure audio is dependant on graphics and shit to work properly, also, then we need the headset and controllers like the vive, or rift, nah, not for something that no one's gonna make games for us over. It's a cool idea, but nothing to get excited about, at least not yet.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-02-27 05:39:22

Regarding valve giving no shit to client accessibility: It's  absolutely expected. It's how business and  technology work. Basically, instead of  rant posts  such as post 3 We would need to have more video games such as Skullgirls on steam. We also need to have  indie developers making audio games and pushing it into the steam platform. Now that steam is changing its stance on  game entry from steam greenlight system to a  money based subscription model, It's much more easier to get games to the platform.
Story short: We would need skills, and money and not ranting, If we would need to have steam platform opened to us. e.g. small teams of developers  making games and getting in contact with steam to push it in to the platform.

@magurp244 That's a pretty valid point. VR's  hella expensive and developers are mostly coming with partial concepts
revolving the technology which are not that attractive yet.  But this has to start from somewhere. VR has amazing potential and It will get to it, once companies dominating the field begin to loosen their grip on the prices.
It will be soon enough where  we get  software for  visually impaired  giving them the capability to  explore their neighborhood with VR.  We gotta draw the skilled developers out at some point.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2017-02-27 08:13:27 (edited by magurp244 2017-02-27 08:14:28)

@ironcross32
Yes and no, the defining characteristic of VR/AR is that its visually! immersive, purely audio based applications have different requirements and would be both simpler and less expensive as all you'd need is earphones, a motion tracker and gyroscope for orientation. There could be geometry involved for calculating acoustics, surfaces, occlusion, etc. but it wouldn't need to be rendered at all, much like Papa Sangre.

There was actually a hardware teardown [here] done by IHS of the Occulus Rift last year that put the total cost down to 206$, not including the custom Fresnel Lenses, software, and R&D. The most expensive components listed were the 2 AMOLED displays at 69$, followed by 24$ for plastics, metal, hardware, etc. and 22.50$ for circuit boards, connectors and loudspeakers.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-03-01 06:56:54

Well....

VR's been around since the Vitual Boy (and what a flop that was) so it's nothing new honestly, and with Oculus's recent legal troubles....and HTC being backed by Valve....I'm not sure a new startup is going to enter the arena any time soon.

I'm not excited for this tech because once again, it's a fancy proof of concept demo. When the Oculous was first being shown off it had a demo of walking around in a doom 3 map....and people were blown away bythe idea of using your hands to pick stuff up, or open doors and stuff...and look where VR tech is now.

As far as the Steam doesn't give a flying rat's ass about disabled gamers, true, and do a bit of reading @post 3, the US laws are ever so slowly changing in favor of disabled gamers. Though I expect Valve to do the very, veryleast they can to comply with the law and then do nothin else. I doubt even a legal challenge would get them to act.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-03-01 07:25:40

Valve might also come across this and threads like this, see the page long poorly spelled bitch fests and get turned right off. Justsayin. VR tech might have also stood a better chance if Oculus and others hadn't been so set on max cash extraction, given that the plan was to sell the HMD for a low price originally, before things got totally bollocksed up

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-03-01 15:05:41

But like I stated VR has been around since, in one form or another, 1990 at least with the infamous Nintendo Virtual Boy, a console that pretty much may have actually ironically contributed to blindness with its horrific red wire frame display. Either that or crippling migraines.

The other issue with the VR tech sphere is....that.....well....it's still an emerging technology at the moment. And yes, it's still emerging despite having two headsets on the market, one of which has had its sales partially blocked by a court ruling, which in effect means it's HTC or nothing now.

But back to the point about Valve. Nobody ever seems to ask the important questions. I don't work for Valve. I have no desire to work full time in the games industry in any position and get paid for what is not a fun or glamorous job. I wonder why nobody ever actually goes on an AMA on Reddit and asks Gabe Newell 'Hey what are you doing to make Steam more accessible to blind/deaf/physically handicapped/etc gamers' instead of 'IS HALF LEIF THREE HAPPENINGGGG???????' questions. Journalists never seem to ask those either. I'm not expecting Valve to make changes off its own back (Remember for years you couldn't get refunds on games despite it being illegal in Europe, and their region locking is also coming under fire by EU lawmakers).but I hope that there's a big enough push at/on Valve to get them to notice and take action. Why? Steam sells business software and there's a hell of a lot more blind office workers than gamers, or at least what Steam considers a gamer.

Think on that.

Also, issue #2 with VR is.....

That oh yeah. It's not just expensive, the tech is clunky as all hell, and the hardware requirements are stupidly high as well, if you're going to shell out for VR you're gonna probably be better off shelling out a new PC and upgrading it constantly.

Lastly...yeah, I would personally much rather havee a VA headset, as in Virtual Audio-reality, than VR. Why?

Because.....it's far, far more useful. Yes, it's nice to in theory sit in a VR cinema and watch a movie, or listen to it. But it is far more useful to put on a headset and....say....listen to something where the sound is coming from....let's say, straight behind you, on a device that's made for it specifically.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers