2017-02-22 03:17:02

Hi! I'm looking for a MUD to call home. Here is what I'd like, requirements first and then some requests.
The Requirements
1. Enforced RP. No ooc chatter unless it's on a dedicated ooc channel that can be turned off. I played a game recently that claimed to be RP-enforced, but there was no way to turn off the ooc channel.
2. I'd like a reasonable playerbase. I'm not going to get fussy about numbers, since the popularity of MUDS is declining, but I don't want a game that feels empty half the time.
3. I'd like a variety of organizations to be apart of, especially when it comes to religious affiliations. Games where you can be killed because you're not a part of the state religion don't give much room for storytelling, in my view. No offense to those people on the forum who play the inquisition. I play there occasionally, but it's not my cup of tea. I'd like these orgs to be player-controlled, though I won't stress the point.
4. Advancement based on one's merits, not on how often they bash monsters. I'd prefer it to be levelless and classless, but if it has interesting, nonviolent ways of advancement, I'll give it a try.
Requests
1. detailed crafting
2. lots of lore, the more intricate the better
3. interesting char creation
4. A reasonably-sized world to explore
Thanks.

Role-play? Simulation? Strategy? Throw it at me! I'm all ears for the games!

2017-02-22 18:17:58

the tree that occur to me are Avalon, clok and frandom.

Avalon is probably the exactly closest to what you want, lots of rp, (they don't even have an ooc channel), many organizations that are player run, certainly not a combat fest, and a dedicated and very decent player base with lots of crafting, and probably some of the best descriptions of the world I've ever read.

Actually, Avalon is a game I ought to get into myself, I just foun things a bit impenitrable after the initial mud school with trying to get into character creation and activities since everything is so player lead and rather different to how most muds work. it's a game I do mean to put time into.

To address the one common comment everyone! makes about Avalon, no it is not a pay to play game. You can! pay to play, and there are subscriptions that give bennifits, but actually you can play the gamee for free no problem.
the only stipulation is that your city or guild or church have to sponsor you a subscription, however people are quite happy to do that, indeed especially if your looking like being a lively player (writing this makes me want to get into the game myself).

For more info and links see the db page for avalon

Clok.
again this is one you've likely heard of or played before. I love the wilderness survival in this game, and the rp separation is good, actually again this ranks as a game with a great dedicated community. Organizations seemed logical when I went there and the crafting is some of the best I've seen.
See the clok db page

then there is Frandom.
this is a game I'm a major fan of. Basically the game works almost more like an old if game than a mud, with progress through quests and discovery, but there are also guilds and organizsations, also now, some rather unique crafting.
Less of the rp, but more of the stuff to do.
See Frandom page here

Ht

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-22 18:59:52

@Dark: Just two comments about avalon:

In my first several days of playing, I saw absolutely no RP. So while the game might be set up for IC and OOC separation, they definitely allow OOC chatter over the IC channels and especially tells. In this way they're much less strict than the Iron Realms Games.

As for paying to play, just keep in mind that pay to play doesn't always mean simply paying for a subscription. Take Sryth for example; sure, you can play for free, but you're severely limited in content. Even if you pay for the subscription, as you've discovered for yourself, you'll have a much less convenient time of it trying to complete almost any of the high end adventures. I think this is most people's beef, both with Avalon and the Iron Realms games. Sure, they look free on the surface, but the games are so limited in scope and content if you don't pay for things that you might as well not bother.

Having said that, to the original poster, if you're looking for non-violent advancement, I don't know what avalon offers. However, at least you won't be limited by the combat mechanics of only being able to use about two of your skills on monsters and having the rest of them limited to competitive PVP.

2017-02-22 19:42:38

If you are of age, at least 17 in the U.S., you could try Haven. It's modern fantasy/horror.

Please note there is definitely adult levels of violence and sexual content, however it is strictly enforced roleplay, and while ther eis some amount of monster bashing, there are a number of paths to success. You can be a combative character, a socialite, a professional such as an engineer, or a college student. There are quite a few player lead and driven organizations, and the OOC channel has to be unlocked with credit rewards, gained through doing things like reporting serious bugs or donating money, so no concerns there.

Where ever you end up, best of luck!

2017-02-22 20:55:06

I would not recommend Clok based on the fact that it is extremely laggy, there are some bugs, and the parser is complete and utter crap. You'll be fighting with the system more than playing and enjoying. The crafting is watered down to some other MUDs I've seen and feels unsophisticated to me.

With that negativity out of the way, Geas sounds like its your cup of tea. There is monster bashing, but there are peaceful ways to make an existance. There are 7 deities you can choose one to warship. They are, in no particular order: Asral, Gwen, Sathonys, Taniel, Zhakrin and Evren. You might warship Gwen, she is a loving goddess who looks disfavoribly on bloodshed. There are guilds, all of which a player is guildmaster. The guilds are divided into several categories, main, this being of a political / religious organization, laymen, involving things such as alchemy, herbalism and music making. Also there are race guilds, which only if you are a member of that race can you enter. As well as craftsman guilds. The system works like this, you can be a member of one main guild and one laymen guild, or two laymen guilds. Craftsmen guilds are different in that you can become a full member of one, however, you can join multiple others as a guest, in which a fee is due once a year. The craftsman guilds often rely on the use of special equipment, found in the guild halls. There is no OOC channel, however a newbie line exists, which you can switch off and which will be denied further use to you once you surpass 5 days worth of gameplay. This is 5 days worth of active gameplay hours, not like I play monday and friday I'm not eligible anymore. I would say that fighting is a part of the game no matter what your profession is, but you can certainly minimize it. Some players do not fight at all, although I don't see how this works. Trappers and Tanners for instance will require furs and skins to do their work. This also is the case for several others. Alchemy is a nice way to survive. You would need to gather herbs, make potions and sell herbs and stuff like that. The one thing I can tell you about Geas that is a bit annoying is that the big players aren't on that much. I have seen this over and over again with multiple characters. So, laymen guilds and main guilds involve finding someone to be a mentor for you, in which case you're gonna have to find someone. You can leave your name as a potential applicant, and some guilds will offer to call a master, however this is dependant on whether that person is online or not, and so on, so it can take a while to get established in a guild. Craftsman guilds you can join immediately via the NPC who will offer and you just hit Y when prompted.

The connection info is geas.de 3333.

If you can't get in, disconnect and try again, and you will be in. This happens on occasion, I don't know why.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-02-23 00:12:30

I've tried all of these games. Avalon, in fact, turned me off with the ooc chat over org channels. I love the iron realms games, but I'm not working, and I don't see how to earn credits without grinding. Though lusternia and imperian have a happybirthday command where you get 25 bound credits on your birthday, and they'll even send you a happy birthday email. You might get credits during special celebrations, they'll post on the announce board and give out a command to receive a few bound credits, but that's a pittance compared to what paying members can attain. I'm also trying to find the iron realms game that fits me most. Lusternia got a brand new introduction last year, and I don't really like it compared to the old one, and imperian's intro is just a killfest, I've been putting off finishing that one. How do I compete as a non-paying player in a game that pretends to be free, that's the question.

2017-02-23 00:18:27

Also, I forgot to add this on before I hit post, but I also have tried clok and haven. Haven doesn't seem to have any protection from pointless PK, and I don't know how to get involved in haven's storyline. I have heard new worlds mentioned when I posted on the mud connector, but it's just generic fantasy and I don't like a game that doesn't have an interesting story arc. Any tips on succeeding in iron realms games would be appreciated. Yeah, I have a beef with their business model, but I love the deep lore and the well-crafted areas, and I'd gladly spend some money to get my hands on the promotional items. That's why I'm looking for a job in gaming, so I can do what I enjoy and make money off it. I wouldn't pay for the combat artifacts, they don't guarantee that a screen reader user will get what they paid for, and I read somewhere that someone had spent hundreds of dollars on combat artifacts and they still were unable to compete. I've browsed the terms of service for a few games, and I heard they don't give refunds, so I won't be spending money in that department.

2017-02-23 00:59:24

@LadyJuliette: it sounds like we have something in common here.

While I have a far different set of requirements for my mudding paradise, I've browsed through literally hundreds of muds trying to find one that fits what I want without much success so far. I have found some unique ones like New Moon, Project Bob (which is gone), 3Scapes and others. However, the majority of muds just don't seem to hold my interest due to some flaw that I consider fatal in it's gameplay. 3Scapes is the only exception so far, and I think I may even be getting bored of that one, or maybe I just need a break. I honestly don't think I would even be a mudder if I could see to play the kinds of games I want to play.

The problem is that if you're looking for pure roleplay, you'll probably be better off finding a MUSH, MOO or MUX that has a good playerbase. However, it looks like you might want mechanics as well, which MUSHes and the like don't usually have. Furthermore, if there are mechanics, almost inevitably you'll run into the same problem I have, which is that eventually you're just grinding in order to unlock new things somewhere down the road. I have tried a few roleplay muds even though it's not my thing, and they seem to fall into this same trap as well, like Shadows of Issildur, Harshlands, Miriani etc.

I sadly can't really help you any more than to say I think I feel your pain. I hope you eventually find what you're looking for. I'm hoping I have found my mudding home in 3Scapes but unfortunately, it's completely non-roleplay.

2017-02-23 01:43:14

I don't know about iron realms since I was always putoff by the intense focus on pvp, but as far as Avalon goes the policy to ooc and ic chatter is a little different to most games.
what I mean is, they don't have a strict separation, where they say "mention the word computer and you are a mad fool", but equally you can't just go on and say "I really hate facebook!" either.

It's sort of accepting that people will discuss the game and gameplay, but trying to let people be their own characters within that. For example if you go on and say "I'm interested in crafting", or "I don't like combat" people from respective interested guild will talk to you about that.

As for  paid items in Avalon, Avalon has the philosophy that core exiles does, that it's paid items are enhancements and conveniences  than stuff that will directly increase your character's abilities.
So for example, there is an item called "green thumb" which makes plants grow quicker, like about 10 minutes instead of two or three hours, and there are weightless containers and instant refills of herbs.

As I said I didn't get as far in Avalon, but I'd recommend looking it over at least since I've always been convinced there  a very deep and coherent game in there with lots of opportunities to do things if I just find the time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-23 03:16:25

I will mention another one, I was debating to do this in the first post because well, you do have to fight in it. I mean, its not like you're forced to, you're just gonna have a hard time if you don't, but, if you get with another group of people, and start or join a camp, your role could be noncombative. I will tell you this, if you are noncombative, i.e. you have not trained your skills in combat, or learned the style system, you will have to be a lot more careful travelling, there are some wildlife that will rip you apart in no time.

The game is called Lament. It's full name is Lament: the Age of Wind and Wolves, you can find it at lament.ghostglass.net 3600. There is also a site at lament.ghostglass.net Let's go over the positives first...

Very rich world with extremely high detail in cities as well as when looking at wildlife or townsfolk. (Top of descriptions I've ever seen in a MUD)
Rich crafting system with hundreds of things that can be made, some of which can be sold, thus providing one way of making money
A vastly realistic and somewhat complex combat system involving players to couple choice of weapon with fighting style. You set your style sliders to reflect the way you will fight
A Screen reader and staff willing to improve accessibility
Friendly staff
Huge world, most of which is wilderness in which you must survive. Terrain includes plains, forest, rivers, lakes, oceans, deserts, wasteland, swamps and marshes rolling hills and mountains

OK now we'll talk about the down sides

Crafting takes a long time, some crafts can take RL hours, even longer I have been told for things like greatswords.
Player base is limited, you will sometimes see 1 or 2 people on, however it has its peek times. I've seen it as high as 14, but that's rare. It will usually get up to about 4 or 5, sometimes a little higher each day.
Sloe pace of development, yes I cannot say more clear than that, development goes at a snail's pace. There have been many things done, and they continue to work on it, adding new items and things, but yes, slow compared to other MUDs.
Limited Staff Appearances Yes you will not always see staff on every day, more like every 2 to 3 days. They are attentive when on however, I do want to stress that. Also, I cannot account if there are staffers on who have chosen to hide their status, which I have seen happen on other MUDs. Most of the time, you won't really need them, but if you encounter a problem, especially one that impedes you from playing until resolved, you may have a wait a couple days.
No long term goals, When I say this, I don't mean that the staff have no goals for the future of the game, but there are no activities at present that your character can engage in and which can make you money over time and which you have to manage. example of such might be farming. This also goes back to development pace. I would like to stress that Lament is a rich and complex game, and it will take you many dozens of hours to get your skills decently, and raise up in crafting, and / or fighting if you choose.

Phew, OK I actually don't like talking about the negatives because I do love Lament, but its only fair to so people know what they're in for.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-02-23 03:29:50

Juliette, I have sent you a Private message. Hoping to hear from you soon!

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.