2017-02-19 20:12:29

I'm really glad you took the time to install the Classic shell! It is a good way to escape yourself from the social terror of the idiocy of Windows 10's innovation. Just so terribly complicated that it completely changed the view of Windows that we have been seeing for years from Windows XP to Windows 7. For example, in the anniversary update of Win 10, the start menu experienced another change that resulted to be more accessible for us, but once more more complicated. They didn't let the power options like shut down, restart, sleep where they used to be previously, but they added another option, called "power options". I found it difficult to find at first, and imagine what would happen if I went out with a friend and asked my father to turn it off. Even my brother couldn't find it on the first attempt so I decided finally to stick with Classic Shell which is way simpler than the native start menu/start screen of Windows 10.
My next gole is to encourage you to try Mozilla Thunderbird, one of the best mail clients you can find nowadays. It is very accessible with any screen reader, including Narrator. Plus, it has all the options you need in daily basis work. After familiarising yourself with Mozilla Thunderbird, the next step would be to try the other product of Mozilla, called Firefox. It works solidly with NVDA or Supernova. If you're not satisfied with Firefox, you may consider Google Chrome, which is not by any means a bad web browser

2017-02-20 10:40:24

What irritates me about the new start menu is that it's utterly impossible to edit.
For example, I like to have all my audiogames in a folder called ---- well audiogames, and then subfolders for each developer. Yes, I could use desktop shortcuts, but being as most programs install a program group in the start menu with stuff like read manual, go to website etc, its' frankly stupid to not have access to those things, or worse, be able to create similar shortcuts for say something like crazy party with all my other games.

I don't really mind the change of direction with the start menu, since alphabetising things isn't such a bad idea, but why the hell! do we have no control over what goes where?

either way never mind, I have it now as I'm used to, complete using the desktop  for shortcuts to stuff I actually want shortcut keys for such as vlc media player and the mail program.

speaking of mail and mosilla and such.
I do mean to try thunderbird, since the iwndows mail program is only a stop gap measure, in particular I'd like something with a semi decent contacts manager the way outlook express had, since right now sending an email to anyone I don't remember the address of is a pest, and the windows contact manager is very clunky, even with narrator.

With Firefox, on the one hand the occasional nvda slowdown in ie and the tendency of nvda to get caught up in the search bar is a miner pest, on the other hand when I last tried firefox I really didn't like the bookmarks system.

I have probably 15 years worth of favourites again insubfolders upon subfolders for everything from audiogames, to game soundtracks, to tv nostalgic things, online classic books softare and various other subjects.
while I know firefox can import favourites into it's bookmarks, I then found the process of actually managing the bookmarks menu to be really irritating, eg, trying to put things in subfolders or rename things or access specific ones, especially the rather odd way it displays subfolder contents in the main menu rather than in a submenu.
If Firefox bookmarks was just  a standard windows folder list that I could cut and paste and move around as I do the favourites menu, or if firefox would use  the favourites folder anyway, I'd have no hesitation in trying it out and possibly switching, actually since the favourites are just urls stored on the system I really don't see why firefox has to use it's own internal data storage systeminstead, especially one which doesn't seem possible to access through windows explorer.
If I've got this wrong, feel free to correct me, since as I said I have nothing against firefox and I do find the mild slowdown and nvda's rather odd habbit of getting stuck in the ie toolbars a bit whacky.

Just to put this in perspective, at the moment I get to this forum by finding the favourites folder (I've created a start menu link), hitting "A" for my audiogames subfolder, then hitting 2 which is the forum (1 being the main front page).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-20 21:03:02

Hi,
If I'm not mistakened, are you talking about the favourites folder found inside the user's folder? You can open those internet shortcuts if Firefox is your default browser. However, adding new shortcuts to the favourites folder I don't know how to do it.

Mozilla Thunderbird does have an address book, though I don't know weather it is used to manage contacts or save email addresses for later use. Anyway, I can say it is a truly good e-mail program.

2017-02-21 12:17:14

eYes, the user favourites folder. I know you can open them in firefox, but if I can't store stuff in there and manage them as I have with ie, I don't know if firefox will work for me, since to me the favourites folder is as important a resource as documents etc, and firefox internal bookmark management just wasn't good enough last time I checked, hell, I know how I'd even backup the bookmarks as I do favourites.

If firefox would either work directly with favourites and let me add stuff to it, or give me an iquivolent folder I could work from in explorer that would be okay, indeed I'm rather confused as to why it doesn't, after all, whichever document editing program you use you can save stuff in the documents folder.

Edit: okay, just googled firefox and favourites and sure enough, there is no way to get to the bookmarks folder in explorer because firefox stores them all internally to the program, and firefox own bookmark management seems ridiculously complex with drag and rop and library functions and all sorts of pratting around, ---- far more trouble than just managing files in file explorer.
Again, if anyone knows a way to either manage the bookmarks in explorer or better still have firefox just add pages to favourites, I'd be interested to know.

As to thunderbird, yes I was thinking of an address book. I do think I'll miss the easy dropdown contacts list in outlook express, which made life far simpler and dint' mean I was constantly relying on auto complete to guess who I was thinking of when sending a mail, I do suspect thunderbird has a much better way of managing email contacts than either Microsoft outlook or the default windows contact manager.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-22 19:25:03

Thunderbird is indeed a very good mail client. Beside the address book, you can also find the e-mail you want by drop-down list which helps in some circumstances