2017-01-21 05:29:14

Hi folks:

I'm planning to major in computer science in the fall of this year.

If anyone is currently majoring in computer science (at the college/university level), what is your experience as a student, and what equipment do you use?

I'm exploring Braille displays ranging in size between 40-80 cells.  From what I understand, the larger display enables blind programmers to read an entire line of print code on one line of the Braille display without having to pan or spool to view the rest of the print code.

For example, what normally would occupy say 75 characters of one line in print on a 40-cell Braille display would require me to spool to view the rest of the line (40 on the first line of Braille, then spool to view the remaining 35 characters).

Is it that challenging to work with a 40-cell display in these situations?  Budget permitting, I would like to purchase a larger display (and yes I am aware of the price of those models on average), but would be willing to settle for a 40-cell device if it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

I ask specifically those who are currently or who have majored in computer science given the vigorous academic environment I'll be in to get as relative and appropriate an answer I can get.  I cannot seem to track down too many blind computer science students.

Any info would be helpful.  Additionally, if anyone can help me get in contact with someone who may not be on the forum, that would be great as well. big_smile

Check's in the mail,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2017-01-21 10:07:38

Luke, I have a bachelors in computer science, but since I'm sighted I don't think I can be of much help.  Just chiming in before the rest of our computer science comrades do.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-01-21 16:09:54

I haven't used a braille display to read programming. I just read it with speech, and my memory is good anyway. Punctuation is important, you'll need to make sure you know what your punctuation levels are set at  especially if you're learning a brand new language and have to get the syntax right. Also your screen reader's indentation indication is very useful here.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2017-01-21 18:26:58

Hello,

I'm glad that another fellow blind person is deciding to stick with Computer Science as a major. I am totally blind, and getting degrees in Computer Science and Computer Engineering with minor in Math. Just FYI, Computer Science is more theoretical with respect to software, whereas Computer Engineering deals with hardware. At least, that is a super simplified comparison. I also want to go ahead and emphasize that Computer Science is a bit more than mere computer programming. A large part of the field involves problem solving and optimizing solutions. This means that, academically, you'll have to have a decent grasp of beginner Calculus concepts to understand things like asymptotic analysis of algorithms and such. Obviously, those courses are bound to be included in the degree requirements, but it would still be wise to keep this in mind. Anyway, regarding Braille displays, I use a Brailliant BI 40. I must admit though, I don't really use it for writing programs. I usually have NVDA's eSpeak TTS set to really high speed with punctuation mode set to all. This usually allows me to write my programs with ease. I'm not one to make assumptions, but if you are in the US, it seems like the most popular programming languages are Java and C++ in the academic field. Therefore, I would recommend you get somewhat familiar with programming concepts to facilitate the rest of the learning process that occurs in a lecture setting. This reply might be a bit too technical if you're just beginning, but I want to make sure that you know as much about what you are getting yourself into as possible so you don't get discouraged. In particular, one thing that I always recommend to totally blind students of STEM fields is to learn LaTeX or some form of it. As you know, Braille is not as readily available in higher education settings as it might be in the traditional K-12 public school system. Therefore, LaTeX provides a method for creating, editing, and reviewing science and math materials. The main reason I recommend this is because I've noticed that professors typically generate electronic documents from this so-called .tex file that transforms all the written commands into corresponding symbols. This is especially useful when handling quizzes, exams, etc that the instructor might assign which may contain characters that a screen-reader has a hard time recognizing. I'd like to think of it like a powerful editing system using raw text. In fact, MS Word does this exact thing, but it uses XML and transformation rules. Anyway, I digress. This post is probably too technical and a little long. But I would be happy to talk to you if you need any guidance or tips. I think my contact information is at the bottom of my reply.

HTH

2017-01-21 19:26:52

I really recommend LaTeX also. It was invaluable when I was doing my Calculus exams (they installed Mathplayer on a library computer.) Also I need it for the Discrete Structures course I'm taking this semester and undoubtedly for more stuff.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2017-01-22 15:30:02

My own experience was that a screen reader was fine for the majority of the work, but that a braille display can be very helpful for debugging. Particularly true when you're looking for a missing parenthesis, or brace or bracket.

You can get by with a 40 cell, 80 cell is nice if you can get the state or school to pay for it.

Good luck!

2017-01-23 13:01:40

I only did first year computer science and maths, but I never needed braille for programming. As stated above, you just need your screen reader to read all the punctuation, and indentation (in NVDA it's in document formatting). Maths is an entirely different story though; a braille machine was essential for me. Also agree that learning LaTeX is very useful. I got the lecturers to always send me the LaTeX source of PDFs such as assignments etc, because it happened surprisingly often that I had trouble reading the pdf with NVDA. I don't know why but PDFs compiled from LaTeX have some weird problems, such as "fi" being replaced by a semicolon, leading to for example "file" being read as ";le". And some pdfs read like there are no spaces, making it impossible to understand unless you read character by character. Oddly, none of this appears visually in the pdf, but if you copy and paste it into a txt it comes out the way NVDA reads it. This doesn't happen in QRead though, so consider getting that if you run into that problem (I only discovered QRead more recently, it's been very useful).

2017-01-24 10:36:28

Hi, this is a great question!

I got my Bachelor's in Computer Science in 2014. The thing about Computer Science is that it's not a programming degree. If you want a programming degree, you should go for a different major, and not Computer Science. In fact, at my university, Computer Science used to be a branch of the Math department until they separated it out into its own college.

With this in mind, yes a Braille display will help with programming, but honestly programming is only 10% of your coursework. You'll need some way to represent Math properly. I went to a public university and started out with audio books, but eventually commissioned my university to deliver material in Braille. You'll be looking at *A LOT* of diagrams (state diagrams, identity diagrams, UML diagrams, etc) so you'll need a way to efficiently interpret the information. The best option for me was Braille, and my grades went up significantly once I started getting material in Braille versus audio.

I'd say programming is the easiest part of Computer Science. It's the rest you have to worry about, like the Calculus, logic courses and (in the case of my university) some hardware courses as well, because this is where you will start to see accessibility challenges.

So, you'll be interpreting a lot of graphs and diagrams and doing a lot of problem solving, just be aware of that. The display will only help with the programming part, but eventually they assume you know how to program and your purely programming courses will taper off. I never took an actual programming course after my second term at university.

2017-01-25 00:41:20

Thank you all for replying.  I appreciate the insight.

It seems the folks from the developer's room took over this discussion, which I'm very grateful for.
big_smile

May I ask where you all attended (if at a university) to pursue and earn your degrees?  I can do some research and compare/contrast the curriculums there and to my school (The University of Pittsburgh).

Thanks,

Luke

2017-01-25 03:07:40

I go to university. I am honestly pleased with it because I am not just learning to program, I am learning also how to make algorithms. In probably many applications perhaps performance doesn't matter but there are applications where performance is key. Also the degre I am getting is math and Computer Science

2017-01-25 06:12:57

leibylucwgamer wrote:

Thank you all for replying.  I appreciate the insight.

It seems the folks from the developer's room took over this discussion, which I'm very grateful for.
big_smile

May I ask where you all attended (if at a university) to pursue and earn your degrees?  I can do some research and compare/contrast the curriculums there and to my school (The University of Pittsburgh).

Thanks,

Luke

Hi,
I went to University of Central Florida. The braille service I mentioned is now listed as an available service to any blind student after I left, so it's worth checking into. Because you *WILL* get Braille at UCF now smile

2017-02-08 14:53:07 (edited by Orin 2017-02-08 14:54:50)

I'm curious. Since every university, college, etc classifies Computer Programming as Computer Science, what would be a suitable major to go into to program?
I'm guessing there are none, since my college says I *have* to be a computer science major to do any kind of Computer Programming. Perhaps they're only just telling me that because CS courses are the only courses they offer within the field. Even when I tell them I'd like to be a Software Engineer, I guess that still means CS.
I'm interested in programming, not really interested in everything else that goes with CS. Am I interested in CS concepts? Sure. It's not for everyone though, and my college has been pushing it on me because they know I am interested in programming. They keep saying CS is the best option though lol. I'm sure it has, probably has the best jobs in the field, but IDK--IT's so broad it's hard to choose.

2017-02-09 03:24:48

If you are concerned about employment, many employers can't even tell the difference. They could both do each other's jobs and have to even take many of the same courses but with different names.
I think my proff said that software engineeres look at software developement from a bit of an engineering project and computer scientests are all about finding officient ways to implement things. I don't think I understood everything he said and I am still not convinced.e.

2017-02-09 03:36:34

A degree in computer science covers the same as one in computer programming, plus a few extra things.  I am not aware of anything the "programming" degree covers that is not covered in the "science" degree.  This means the computer science degree is going to be a bit harder to get, but would still give you everything you would have received from just the programming one.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-02-15 03:36:59

Hello guys!
I'm starting college in computer science, and unfortunately I do not have the money to buy a braille display.

2017-02-19 18:23:41

After looking into what the university I will be attending requires, it is clearly evident programming isn't the only thing involved.  "Science" outlines a general system of how computers work through purely a software standpoint.  I was curious about the engineering side of things, but it's more hardware driven than software.  Software engineering is covered in CE (at least at this university), but nothing programming intensive.

How were your experiences with the calculus courses?  I'm required to take Calc1 and 2 with discrete mathematics and differential equations.

Thanks,

Luke

2017-02-22 00:48:16

hello all, I am soooo happy to see this topic and how many replies it has received, i do not know why i didn't think of posting something like this myself. I am also about to enter college and planning to get a computer science degree. I figured diagrams might be a major part of this, so i would like to add a question of my own, and that is, how did you all deal with the teacher illustrating things on the board? was a scribe hired or anything of the sort?

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2017-02-22 02:50:15

I, myself, wish I brought this up before I attempted computer science. If I had, I might had found ways to not fell at it. LOL. It was mostly the math that drug me down. That plus a touch of putting off hard things until I could no longer do so, and the fact that I did not demand the major stuff be in braille among other reasons. I am not too sure that the adaptive tech center where I went to university knew how best to braille some of that out.  The result is that I know some tiny bit of programming, could possibly  maybe recognize it if I see it, know that looking math up on the net is useless at times, that the computer does a lot for us in the back ground, having other people write stuff down that you tell them that you wish to remember for scratch does not always work out if you depend on looking at it at that time visually(scratch as in math and yes I had one that wished to see my work), that some teach with a vary visual way, accessing a linux machine via putty is not good enough at times, and that I made a few mistakes that cost me. I hope that made some sort of sense there. To say that I crashed and burned is sort of a understatement on my part.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-02-22 16:47:40

@Diego it won't be a major problem I ave a braille display and I only use it sometimes in math.
@all the remaining posts past Diego math is the hardest part of my program. I took discrete math last semester and found it not fun at all. I did ok in the end, but that was close. It could have been the professor's teaching standereds also. We were kind of required to remember many axioms and as many of the formula sheet as we possibly could because it would make life easier. You may have a different experience. Persistence is important. You will have good courses, and educational and very hard courses and courses that teach you so much but are still hard just grind through the hard stuff and enjoy the funner or easier courses.

2017-02-25 01:20:19

Hello guys!
I have ubuntu installed, but I also have the iso of windows 10.
What do you think would be best for college? Linux, or windows?

2017-02-25 02:32:10

How about both. You are going to need to know linux to some degree for the computer science major, but you will also need access to microsofts products unless that changes. I can say that things to some degree are changing. After all, we have IPhone and android apps that seem to be the going thing right now. Who knows what it will be by the time you are done.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral