2017-02-19 20:24:18

Mmm, I think I'll refrain from further purchasing just now, in case I go bankrupt. Also, if I'm honest I think I need to diversify again a little bit (I got a couple of Big Finish's new Classics series which are looking up to be a lot of fun). Frankenstein and Dracula, since you ask. And Jekyll and Hyde, when it appears later.

I don't think you want to be thinking too hard about the end of your marriage just yet. It's a little too soon for that kind of pessimism. big_smile

Depends on the kind of keyboard you have. For security reasons and because they're generally more self-contained, I'd suggest Bluetooth keyboards, rather than these wireless affairs with dedicated dongles. But you should keep at least one wired keyboard on hand, to do your initial setups with.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-02-21 12:06:44

I've got a Bluetooth keyboard for my phone, but in practical terms I don't really see the difference when your at the same desktop. The control key does seem to be behaving at the moment, or at least it was long enough for me to rather enjoy playing death on the road yesterday big_smile.

Btw, Sebby, I meant the end of post graduate hood in my previous post not the end of marriage. I don't think according to our wedding vows we technically can! have an end of marriage, up to and including death. Of course we could disregard wedding vows etc, but we're about as likely to do that as we are to disregard breathing.

Well the saga of the wandering washing machine seems to have come to a conclusion, though you'd be amazed how difficult finding a machine without! a inaccessible digital display swas. I did consider trying the "smart home" thing, accept that unfortunately for access you actually need to set the "smart home" function up on whatever device you want to use it on, which makes it sort of pointless if the very reason you want the dam thing is to avoid the stupid display in the first place.

Sometimes I think the hole business of making everything with a mock phone interface just to look swish has gone waaaaay! too far, indeed I miss the days when devices used to have handy knobs, sliders, switches and dials which were far easier to learn or label, hell it's sort of amusing that as a child I could pretty much guarantee to be able to use most tvs I came across just by pressing shannel buttons and turning nobs, now, unless I use my pc and a website I'm pretty much stuck. Ditto in terms of tape recorders and sterrios as audio devices.

Of course there are bennifits, I do love my victor and these days I'd not be without a pc, still when it gets to the point that a washing machine has to be digital I do wonder if someone lost the plot somewhere.

either way, we have managed to find a usable machine, with dials, and it's now working! hurrah! you'd be amazed how much you can miss having a decent quilt when you've been without one for several days.

As for other matters, annoyingly lst night we tried to watch back to the future from blindmice mart, only to find that A, it had the usual crappy balance and mono from blindmice, and B, and more seriously, it was amazingly! badly cut, and for a film like back to the future that relies on it's plot that is a major disappointment.

I did try my copy of the film on dvd, but it has no audio description track, which is disappointing.

Otherwise, I'm still playing with windows 10. I've got several db pages up for games that I've only just got chance to try, which have needed entires for some time, also I now have vipmud and mushZ installed, though the other day I was reacquainting myself with Erion since I wanted something a bit more combatty and a bit less guess the verb style. I do also need to finish my review for Cell by steven king before its' impression fades in my brain as well.

And this rambling mess has got waaaay too long so methinks I'd better post it pronto big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-21 14:25:30

Dark,
I listened to all three Back to the Future movies from Blind Mice and they are all stereo not mono.
Do you have your settings on your Windows 10 computer set wrong?

2017-02-27 00:26:50

@Dark yes, I know what you meant, of course ... but your sentence left just enough ambiguity for some dark humour, and you know how I'm always a sucker for that sort of thing. big_smile

As for keyboards, well the chief reason is simply that if your system already has a Bluetooth controller, and most do, then using it makes it easier on the keyboard itself, which can be smaller, as well as your computer, which of course doesn't need to accommodate extra ports for dongles. I'm really surprised all these weird cordless keyboards haven't died off yet. Anyway, of course, go with what makes you feel comfortable. I always keep a wired keyboard on hand, no matter what, just in case I get into a situation where my Bluetooth pairing isn't working and I need to intervene to put it right. However that is rare; usually it all just works and the keyboard can just switch between devices.

I agree that way too much is digital nowadays for no reason. Sometimes simple things should stay simple. Oral-B is now selling an Internet-connected toothbrush, so you can measure and track your tooth brushings ... needless to say, I turned it down. Good grief. I love technology and the Internet to bits, but sometimes it's just absurd and unnecessary. Not to speak of a potential security disaster.

Just myself, as usual.