2017-02-15 17:11:40

Yep Aaron, that occurred to me, indeed I'd thought of that even before installing Nvda.
I'm obviously more than busy enough at the moment, heck I've not even started on Manamon yet, but it probably will be something I'll look into in the future. I certainly have had a look at Ian Read's jgt addon guide.

Before I think about Nvda and games though, I do need to consider the voice business, it seems a lot of the nvda voices are rather quieter on average than the sapi voice I've been using previously for things like Crazy party, even with  volume maxed out..

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-15 17:21:45

I would personally recommend eloquence for everyday usage, but then again that's one I've stuck with pretty much my entire computer-using life, so maybe I'm a bit biased

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2017-02-15 23:20:20

I get what you mean about voices, quite a lot of the time the games overpower them. I'm not too sure what to do about it.

2017-02-16 06:12:48

Hi,

In win8 and above, the voice being lower than the games and the games being low in volume as compared to voices isn't that much of a issue.

I.E the individual volume settings in the volume mixer plus the NVDA/jaws or whatever the screenreader of your choice is's settings voice max out the volume.
If the games still make the voice sound too low, go to speakers/volume mixer and reduce the volume of the games a bit.

I don't know whether its just me or other experience the same thing, but generally sapi5 voices specificly the ones that come with win10 or MS voices on win10 are quite laggy, I.E their reaction time isn't as good as it could be,and they tend to behave quite sluggishly.
The vocaliser addon (not the code factory addon btw) should be good enough for all your voice needs if a more human sounding voice is what you want and don't like eloquence.
Personally for me eloquence is the only sinth that does what I need it to do the way I want it to, but then again just like DD I have used it ever since I started using computers and so might be a bit biased when it comes to it.

I actually never got the sam and the ofius addon to work for me, ever since I tried hal ages ago I have wanted to play around with those voices a little more but haven't had a chance to.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, β€˜It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-02-16 13:48:38

Well with crazy party at least, I just needed to lower the actual sounds and music in the game itself, ditto with Manamon, though I do wonder how this  will work in other games, particularly since I want to install rhythm rage today.

As far as voices go, I like the idea of the vocaliser addon since while I do have a decent sapi voice the lag is somewhat irritating and the dictionary often isn't as it should be. I'm a  little disappointed at the lag with the mobile voice too. I did sometimes use vocaliser for supernova.
The only thing that disappoints me a little in vocaliser is that Daniel is my only choice for a male uk English voice, I was rather hoping there might be an alternative since I do a lot of Daniel and it'd be nice if I  could give Nvda a different voice.

Then again just as others are used to eloquence, I do like orphius human voice alan (you can hear it in my smugglers 3 and fighting fantasy reviews). I never unfortunately could get on with eloquence myself, the English accent it has just sets my teeth on edge :d.

Btw, I have noticed one rather odd Nvda behaviour.
In the default mail ap, when I write a message, I don't actually hear the words spoken as I type them.

I can read the message fine, even read letter by or line by line, and commands like nvda up or down arrow work fine.
However, for some odd reason I don't hear what I'm typing.

I don't know how long I'll go on with the mail ap, it's possible I'll switch to something else later with better contact listing and folder support (I will probably look at thunderbird and perhaps the open source version of outlook express).for the time being this behaviour of nvda is a little strange.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-16 14:01:41

@Dark The mail app not announcing typed characters is a windows bug, and will be fixed once windows 10 creators update comes out, as well as NVDA2017.1 which is already near it's release.

2017-02-16 17:38:59

Ah, good to know nidza, I'm relieved not one of the Nvda settings that I've made a mistake with.

2017-02-18 12:28:10

Yeah, it would be the same in edge, or all other windows modern or universal apps, which basically means all apps from windows store.