2017-02-05 16:32:37

Putting this out there in case anybody else has failed to notice it yet. I was culling my vast collection of iOS apps down to something manageable, and found that since the time I had last downloaded the binaries with iTunes and the time I hid those on the store that I did not want reappearing in the App Store apps on iOS, the Somethin' Else games, as well as Inquisitor's Heartbeat, had now been disappeared from the store.

Be aware. And if you have binaries you fetched with iTunes, or an installed copy of those apps, you had better treasure those unless you want to lose them forever.

Since this is a problem with all app stores, I am wondering if we shouldn't have a permanent topic with this sort of information. Apple have been particularly merciless of late and it's just possible people will only find this sort of thing out to their surprise when they go and look.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-02-05 17:02:38

in fairness to somethinelse, I remember hearing that they were going to pull their games a while back.

2017-02-05 17:42:53

A great shame, somethinelse games have been awesome and it's a pitty Apple's policy of a centralized store won't even let them have vintage or abandonware copies available.

Oh well, just another reason to make dam sure when I upgrade my iphone I get something worth while.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-05 17:51:45

I did love papa sangre 2.  shame I won't be able to play it again.

2017-02-05 18:21:53

This happens because these developers wont update your apps for latest ios.
I have the first chapter of inquisitor on my iphone with the latest ios and this game crashes in some situations, and it isnt strange that apple is cleaning appstore from unsupported apps.
I dont understand why company somethink else has stopped updating his games.
Papasangre II is working well on Ios 10 but the night jar crashes after pressing start game, so it means that these developer dont think to update this game.

2017-02-05 18:31:46

Basically, agreed with post 5. The trouble with abandonware copies, is they won't work on later iOS versions. The systems from version to version change a lot, so devs have to keep updating the apps to be compatable. In the case of somethin else, I think people kept on having issues year after year as new versions came out, and they said as much and said that they'd stop supporting the games. This really is a shame.

2017-02-05 20:04:20

A good reason to keep an older iPhone with iOS that can play the games.
I think this is just like keeping an old Windows XP computer to play the older DOS games.

2017-02-05 20:31:24

a work around for the nightjar is, find the start game button with your finger, turn voiceover off, press where you found it, and turn voiceover back on. no crash, simple as that

For me, the new coding age begins!

2017-02-05 22:47:47

Another reason this might happen soon too is that Apple may soon drop support for 32bit apps. This is roomered to happen come IOS11. Of course it is diffacult to tell which apps are 32 and which apps are 64.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-02-05 23:04:08

a lot has changed with IOS 10 I've noticed.  heck, the adventure to fate games are inconvenient to the point of unplayable at the moment.

2017-02-06 02:07:00

If you're currently on a 64-bit platform, running 32-bit binaries gives you a warning on startup about how the app needs to be updated by the developer. The app continues after you press OK.

It's not clear why apps are disappearing. Developers can choose to remove their apps, however unless there's a contract still active the apps do not disappear from peoples' purchase histories. So either this is part of the grand purge of obsolete, non-compliant or non-functional apps, or contracts have simply expired and not been renewed. As people on here are saying the SE games still work, I'm inclined toward the latter, although it's obviously well within Apple's ability to dump apps for other reasons, some of which may not be obvious.

I agree; it's really too bad. But it's also kind of inevitable, and when iOS 11 comes out, it'll be the end of 32-bit apps anyway, so I'm going to cut myself free of them now and grieve while I still can, rather than trying to hang on. It'll be worse this time than it was with Aurifi, which simply stopped working gradually over time in strange ways until it became unplayable because it simply failed to recognise certain gestures. The conveniences of new versions of iOS and (for a while, anyway) new phones has been too great, and so has the use of the App Store on my phone directly, for me to want to hang on, even if I miss some of those early years of stability (especially iOS 6).

And in any event, let us always never forget that we don't really own what we buy from an App Store that uses DRM; at best, we're renting it while both the author and Apple are willing to host it. This is all down to the largess of the people who sell it, who are, in the end, not really motivated to protect our interests once we've handed over the cash. Sad but true.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-02-06 07:56:28

This is really sad indeed. I think I'm done buying the expensive games from the IOS app store. The Inquicitor games are very expensive, and I just don't want that to be thrown out because the developer don't update their apps. It's really strange though, because I've seen apps on the ap store which haven't been updated in 5 years.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-02-06 09:15:44

Well, in the case of Ticonblu et al I'm not sure the iOS App Store isn't actually an improvement; not only are the games natively a much nicer experience but I think I trust Apple to run a DRM server better than the authors of those games ...

It's DRM what's the problem. DRM is evil!

But of course you already know that ...

Just myself, as usual.

2017-02-06 16:12:24

I just removed the Somethin' Else games from my iPhone games page.
I replaced them with the following:
Starting with Papa Sangre, in 2010,
then The Nightjar, in 2012, Papa Sangre 2, in 2013, and finally Audio Defence: Zombie Arena, in 2014,
Somethin' Else games produced some of the most amazing iOS games ever.
Due to the games only having support for iPhone 5 screens, and
sometimes crashing on newer phones, they were pulled from the app store.
Their last product was to be the Papa Engine, that powered their suite of 3D audio games, that would allow others to develop iOS games.
http://www.somethinelse.com/projects/ga … dio-games/

2017-02-06 16:50:24

I'll update the db pages for somethinelse games similarly, but I confess this is the sort of high handed stupidity that pisses me off.
Some fat company giving a so called update to an oz that supports less than the previous update and then forcing developers to do the work of updating because they're too lazy to put in proper backwards compatibility, but too greedy to support the previous oz and anyone who chooses not to have said update (indeed mostly your slammed with nag messages to have said update so that said company can foyst their latest crap on you). Then again we've heard all this before haven't we.

Failing any sort of regulation of this sort of thing though, I am sorry Somethinelse stopped compatibility updates, since their games  really are soem of the best of that style I've played, though unfortunately my phone has already been updated so I guess I'm buggered as far as their games go). A shame, I never got past those dam brain eating birds in Pappasangre and I guess I now never will.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-06 18:49:47

I never got the games myself, so I can't know how These would run on different Apple devices.

However what I (for the Audio games and blind community) don't get is why so many Commercial game Releases over the last few years had to move to mobile devices with no ports or multiplatform Releases in the first place.

I can get that it might be a good Business move, but if selling games for IOS is generating more Money than selling games for Computers I can't know.
I wonder if such developers wanted to Show that other devices than compiuters can be used for games.

But on the other Hand I wonder why if developers are working with the concept of app stores in General, why I could never buy a Modern UI App for Windows 8 or now for Windows 10 which is an Audio game.

I know that IOS and Android are different Systems and the devices which use them, but what I really did not get was why so much Commercial game development only was done with These platforms in mind.

If I could buy Papa Sangre optimiced for Keyboard or other Controllers, as a Win 64 binary, I would do it right now, but I never got the choice to do so.

If I wanted to buy the Inquisitor, I at least could choose more than one platform.

When mobile devices were not accessible for blind, we mostly had Audio games for PC, but now more Commercial games are released and partially maintained for mobile devices.

On the other Hand, as far as I know VG Storm titles still are not XP compatible, which still is a Problem in this community regardless of whether XP is used in a VM or not.
And though I might be wrong here, some of the VG Storm games had huge potential for Long time Support with the idea of extensions and Content updates (Psycho Strike for example).

But These games got no Content updates.
I am not sure how much Content updates the IOS games mentioned in this Topic got from Initial release up to now, but I think that there was more Content added than in Commercial PC Audio games over the last few years.

Really, the only game I can recall at the Moment which had something similar to what the Mainstream game community calls dlc was ESP Pinball Extreme.
However, only one paid Content pack was released so far and since then there was nothing more for it.

This is a strange Thing, because this brings up the question why some companies/individual developers can afford Money and time to submit every free or paid update to Apple with all this entails, while the developers who make PC games seem often not capable of doing much post release work on their titles.

Does anyone know why this might be?

Even for mobile devices you Need time and Money to develop anything after Initial release of your game before you can submit it to Apple for the store.

But developing and testing before release is required for all platforms.

And keeping up with IOS should be possible for such developers rather than letting their income die out with no further purchases.

I wonder why games like Papa Sangre went out like this.
Their developers knew what working with IOS would mean, so why did they not maintain their products regardless of whether Apple should make their Software backwards compatible?

2017-02-06 19:39:45

@Lord raven there are several points you raise here some of which I can answer.
First it is not that audio game releases "move to mobile devices" the likes of Gma games, Aprone Ian Humphries are still writing for pc and will continue to do so. The developers who have written for mobile platforms are usually developers who come to audiogames development specifically with the desire to write audiogames for those platforms, or at least, with the idea of cross platform games in mind. To my knolidge, only Vip gameszone and Lworks of developers of usual pc audiogames have changed to writing games for mobile devices.

Also, bare in mind that the inherent accessibility in Ios with Voiceover means that far more independent games are actually accessible, or can be made so with some tweaking. Games like A dark room, Adventure to fate, lost cities, king of dragon pass or Timecrest were not written exclusively with the idea of a visually impared audience in mind, it just so happened that they could be made accessible relatively easily on Ios given the way voiceover works (I'm less sure about Android).

I also don't think the distribution method, ie, the use of an ap store is really anything to do with a developer's choice to write for a specific platform, hence why people don't write games for the windows ap store. There are a lot of things that can be done on mobile platforms due to the motion sensative inputs and touch screen that simply would not work on a Pc, indeed while theoretically you could write a port of pappasangre 2 or audio defense zombie arena to work with the arrow keys,  it would lose a great deal of the experience you get through playing the game on a mobile device.

Even for a game like Adventure to fate, the way you navigate the game and get information via the touch screen is very different to what you'd do on a pc, indeed I suspect were the adventure to fate games written for pc, some extra work would have to go in to their access to make the game screens understandable with a screen reader, (even assuming they used screen reader friendly text in the first place, the Pc port of King of dragon pass certainly doesn't). To a lesser extent the same goes for timed notifications in a game like Timecrest.

This isn't to say I think everything! should move to the mobile platform, just that there are certain quite legitimate reasons involving game mechanics that make the mobile platform interesting in terms of it's development possibilities, indeed that was why I got an Iphone in the first place.

As to downloadable content.
I don't think lack of extra content is a reflection of a developer's lack of work, sometimes something is just finished because it's finished, indeed as I said I personally regard lack of compatibility for software in the os as the responsability of the developers of that os, it's only the likes of microsoft and other such idiotic corporations who have persuaded everyone that developers need to work to their tune not the other way around as it should be.
I agree that I'd love to see some games like Vg storm's expanded with extra content, but I don't think that's really related to whether a game is available on pc, ios or whatever else, since we've already seen several games with various types of extra content available on various platforms. Look at the choiceofgames and hosted games titles, many of which have extras to buy and all of which are available on Pc, Ios, Android, and a number of other platforms including steam.

Then there is smugglers 5 for Pc, with it's dlcs, zero site with it's extended operations expantion, and time of conflict 2.0 which came with massive expanded maps and was available to 1.0 customers, not to mention Castaways with it's extra mission releases.
There are also plenty of free games with a huge amount of extra available content, either user created or released over time, beatstar, rythm rage, lone wolf, adventure at C: Swamp, etc.

Also bare in mind that a lot of the "extra content" available for Ios titles is either like extra donation currency in an online browser game or mud (adventure to fate's fate gems for instance), or are simply free updates no different to the successive updates to something like Crazy party  or Castaways, indeed while the centralized distribution method gives massive amounts more power to Apple, what actually gets distributed via the ap store isn't on the face of it so different from what's been done in game terms back since the dos days and people were sent their version upgrades and extra content on floppy disks through the post big_smile.

Btw, on an unrelated note as regards Xp. apparently Vg storm don't have an xp machine to develop on so can't get their titles post paladin of the skies to work on Xp.
I still believe that microsoft should've given us an updated xp that runs everything xp runs instead of forcing everyone to get the so called upgrade.
Sadly though, that's not going to happen, and since there are many things these days xp simply won't do, it's time to move on.

At least these days most of the compatibility issues with Windows and the majority of previous  audiogame releases have workarounds, talking dosbox etc.

Sadly that can't happen on Apple due to the grabby ap store, which actually is another very good reason not! to use the Windows store big_smile.

2017-02-06 20:38:59 (edited by Lord_Raven 2017-02-06 20:53:17)

@Dark:

I get what you are saying here and you made some good points.

However I would like to say a few things about this as well:

1. Choiceofgames:
I might be wrong on this one since I never bought their games, but isn't it true that if you want to play their games offline (without external clients like Steam), you need to buy the Android apps, copy them to a PC, unpack the .apk files and run the content within  your browser with a choicescript interpreter?
If this is now longer the case, correct me here.
But these are basically browser singleplayer games.
Thus they could theoretically run everywhere with a browser.
So, if I buy an Android game from them, I get a downloadable app which theoretically should run even when I am not online.
If I buy on their site for Windows, I can play, but my save files are stored online, which is not the same if the Android version stores its save data offline on your device.
Yes, I can buy via steam, but you probably know what Steam is and that another third party software (Steam) is needed to play the game.

Apart from licensing decisions and prevention of piracy, there is no reason why the way you play the game (not how you do it, which controls are used etc) should be only online on PCs and possible offline on mobile devices, after payment and digital delivery are done.

2. Mobile Devices
I know that on IOS you have a good screen reader and thus it might be easier to make accessible games.
However I haven't found any information about how easy it might be to make accessible software for phones or tablets with mobile versions of Windows.
I know that before Windows 8, you had Windows Mobile, Windows CE and later Windows Phone 7.
Maybe these products were not as popular as IPhones.
But I would like to know if this had changed over the Windows 8 RT tablets and later with Windows 10.
And there were also tablets which had the desktop version of Windows in which you could run Modern UI compatible apps as well as X86 and X64 programs.
In theory games like Papa Sangre could have been ported to such devices, since I am sure a Windows tablet would accept touch input and movement gestures like turning or shaking your device in your hand, if the control set was the important decision made for such games being mobile exclusive.

I did never say that everyone should use the Windows App store over the Apple one, for I don't know which system is actually better.

I just wanted to point out that there also are some Windows mobile devices and wondered why apparently nothing was done with them for (current) game projects.

3. Content of games:
Yes, the Smugglers game has expansions and some other games might have them, too.

But from the recently released commercial PC games nnot many might have gotten extra content.
If you look at all VG Storm titles for example, none got extra levels or some kind of story expansion.
Psycho Strike for example looked pretty small at least in accessible ingame locations to visit.
If I am right, there are no hidden secrets to unlock permanently which would give you more maps to walk upon.

Yes, Time of Conflict got updated, you are absolutely right about that, but its initial release was some years ago.
But paid offline games from the last two years or so had not much in maintenance except occasional updates and bug fixes.

Again, I don't know if the mobile games had serious in-app purchase options for more than buying extra ingame currency or for making donations.

However, I know that even some mobile mainstream games can have extra levels, weapons/items, characters or costumes for existing characters.

Obviously costume packs for audio games would not b a good idea, other types of things might work.

If for example ESP Pinball Extreme would get more paid table packs, some people surely would buy them.
But this is also an older game and it hasn't been updated for a while.
But this is another topic.

I still think the concept of a game like Papa Sangre with its really good sounding audio environment should have been made available for more than one platform.

It is really sad to know that such good games might be out for a long time if they are not compatible with the latest IOS.

However I would like to ask one question here which bothers me about this sad business.

I won't argue whether it is Apple's responsibility to maintain compatibility or if the app developer should be responsible for it.
But for now shouldn't the developer of these games have known that for the time being it was their resbonsibility to maintain and update their games to keep them available for all who want to buy them or for those who bought them and want to use them on newer devices?
I mean, if I wanted to develop for IOS, I would want to get as much information as possible before committing myself to this kind of work type.
Thus Somethin' Else would have accepted whatever contracts and terms were necessary to release their work on this platform.
But If they did knowingly enter into this thing, why the hell did they not update their products, probably knowing that failure to do so might see their products kicked out of the store in the end?

I forgot to say one last Thing.
I find it strange that the first VGStorm titles work on XP but the newer ones don't.
Regardless of the question whether you should use XP today, shouldn't the People of VGStorm not be capable of testing whether their games work on XP?
Seriously?
Did they never hear the term Windows XP Mode for Windows 7?
And is it that hard to quickly set up BGT and whatever you Need in a virtual machine with a virtual Version of XP?

Just to Point this out regardless of how many People still have either a real Version XP or at least a VM one for older programs or games in use.

2017-02-06 23:53:53

Hmmm, lord raven, interesting points, though again you might be missunderstanding a few things if you've not played as many mobile games.

1: I believe you can download the choiceofgames to the pc if you buy the chrome versions, though I've not done that. However in the case of choiceofgames, unless you've got a really! dodgy internet connection playing on the website shouldn't matter at all. All of your saved games, purchices, extras bought etc are saved to an account on the website, no different to muds or browser games.
This would be a problem if you needed a mega good net connection or lots of external software, but anything with a web browser will do, and running a browser shouldn't be an issue for most people unless you are in a thunderstorm or something and keep losing the net.

I don't know about steam, though to be honest why you'd want to use a platform with cruddy access like steam when you can just play online in your favourite browser is beyond me.

2: I don't know enough about the windows mobile devices to say whether their inputs are good enough to work with games like pappasangre, however one thing I can say is that inherent access in Ios does make life easier. For example, were Pappasangre a windows game, the developer would need to either create a self voicing menu for things like accessing levels and the score board, or output to sapi or a screen reader directly, since most text used in windows games is not screen reader friendly. On Ios they can just create one set of controls for sighted or blind players and let blind players use vo. Indeed vo has a lot of very handy developer shortcuts not available to windows developers, for example the ability to write any label or extra information into a control to read with vo irrispective of the image on screen, ---- why for example in king of dragon pass you can swipe to the pictures of your members of the ring and get not only their names, but their stats and other information.

I also don't know what the screen reader situation on windows tablets is, especially in terms of the touch screen and the like.

3: Never compare audiogames to mainstream games ever at all. Unless you have a couple of hundred programmers working 12 hours a day every day for a good six months on a game, you cannot compare it to what mainstream games are doing, mobile or otherwise.
Comparing audiogames to independent games is slightly more reasonable (though even there there are inequities), and again there the situation on pc and Ios as regards updates is generally as you'd expect, eg, online rpg games and the like get updates of items and premium content, major single player offline audiogames get the odd update or new version occasionally with bug fixes and new features until the game is finished, look at the recent blind gladiator update as an example.

As regards cross platform releases, well bare in mind that also puts a massive extra resource load on developers, especially since most graphical cross platform releases use game engines such as unity that are not good for accessible games.
Obviously the likes of audio it prove it's doable, but it's not a commitment most people can make, not when it's far easier to write for just the one platform.

As to extra content for some titles we already have, eg, new map modes for psycho strike, yes I'd like to see that too, though again it depends upon the developers and their plans, and as I already said you can't compare what any indi developer does to what a mainstream company does since the resources involved are  so at odds, hell it's even unequal if you compare audiogames to independent mainstream games since there are so many tools and quick fixes available to developers of graphical games which audio game developers don't have, (imagine how many games we'd have if we had a thousand development tools like Bgt, ranging from full scripting languages to almost form filling game creation kits).

As to developers and Apple, well unfortunately a developer doesn't necessarily know that apple is going to bugger their game up in a few os versions, since it all depends upon how many changes Apple make to the os how much work is necessary to fix the games. Again, this is a problem with all the power on the side of the os developer and everybody being forced to go along with them and nobody really free to choose not to have the os upgrade (not without constant nagging and no access to anything newly developed).
No, it isn't a good situation, but sadly whatever I think of apple as a company, there are too many developers who have done exceptionally good work on the platform already who I do! want to support.

Lastly as regards xp, don't ask me. I was very disappointed when psychostrike didn't work on xp, or any of their other games, however that is one of the several reasons I've bought a new windows machine which I'll be starting on next week, that we have finally reached the stage where I'd be gaining stuff of interest rather than losing access to what I already have, and believe me I've used xp longer than most people and for me to say it's time to upgrade should indicate somethingg, hopefully it's not a decision I will regret big_smile.
Of course if things were properly regulated we'd not have to do this sort of thing, but it is what it is.

2017-02-07 01:17:28

For most users and for most things, mobiles are already just the next-generation PC. You can do all the things you really need to do with them, and only things that require more control or oversight than mobiles normally allow require a person to actually sit down before a conventional computer or laptop. Mostly I believe this is because mobiles are completely vertical, glittering pillars of instant satisfaction and total lack of friction, that are very pleasant to use and easy to forget. I believe it's only fair to point out that the centralised App Store also enables, among other things, instant in-app purchasing and on-line game playing, without all the effort and configuration that would otherwise be necessary. The focus is on making it happen, not on the nature of the computing itself. Similar things can be said about ChromeBooks, for all that; they too are essentially locked-down vessels for Google. The danger here, as ever, is that we become too dependent on these silos, enjoyable as they are, and then lose our own sovereignty over our computing devices which would be bad.

As for rate of development, I'd say that was more a function of the generally more mainstream nature of mobile apps (which, incidentally, is how I do most of my gaming nowadays). It's also much easier for a developer to push out updates and new content, and the development processes, like the devices themselves, are much more vertical and stable, from the point of view of the developers.

I honestly wouldn't be bothered by all this if Apple would simply issue some kind of warning to users before the app was pulled. "We're going to take this down for breaking shit, please download your copy today and keep it safe." That would do me.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-02-07 01:22:26

Well while not related to pullings its worth noting that we at sonnar are having issues right now getting things on the app store.
on the news https://sonnarnews.wordpress.com/2017/0 … t-delayed/
you will see why.
I know this should be its own topic but its a nice segway to be honest.
We were rejected and we have no idea exactly why the heck that is.
Apple seem to be hard customers.
If there is an easy way to handle apple I think I'd like to know, the game is an audio game, with a few sightling graphics but its not that major.
What is apples damn problem may I ask you.

2017-02-07 02:14:05

@Crashmaster, sorry to hear that. Audiohub is on my list of stuff that I would like to try as a gamer, but don't need to try as far as the database is concerned big_smile.

@Sebbyy, I really don't like this "vertical" business which for all intents and purposes means being reliant on a single company across multiple devices and storage methods. Effectively it's no different from just having your own stuff centrally as I do, it just requires subscription rather than, well file management, eg, if I put one of my smaller hard drives in my bag with all my books, documents, music and games on it, then I have them anywhere I want anyway and can maintain all my customization. What bothers me about this style of things is not owning my own music and games, or indeed being able to have much control over things like updates as indeed the fate of developers who fall fowl of the almighty Apple's policy shows.

As for desktop vs mobile as a stand alone platform, I can say there are far too many things I just wouldn't want to do on a mobile. In some cases those are things like watching dvds and playing music through huge speakers which simply rely on screen size, while in other cases those are things like managing documents, emails and browsing the net which are simply inconvenient due to the way the hardware and software work.

This is quite aside from the fact that even from a gaming perspective there is a distinct difference in pc and mobile games. With a few notable exceptions (sadly the somethinelse games were one), mobile games tend to be smaller in scope and intended for either quick or intermitant play, where as pc games tend to be longer and more serious.

In some cases this could be fixed by less inconvenient mobile practices, eg, a better web browsing experience, in others it's the very lack of file management that provides the problem, eg, I can't imagine playing muds with soundpacks or trying to juggle the likes of rythm rage packs or swamp config files on a system where I can't actually manage the files themselves.

Ultimately for those who want to use a computer as a computer themselves you want a propper computer be that a desktop or laptop, for people who don't particularly care about owning their own things and are happy to just subscribe to what apple and google want them to have in the way they want them to have it a mobile can probably do most things, ---- at least until restrictions get too much and said companies shoot themselves in the foot with trying to further restrict customer experience.

For myself though it always comes down to "what the hell can I do! with this that I can't do equally well with something else"

2017-02-07 02:49:28

@Dark:

I wanted to clarify what I said regarding Choiceofgames.
I did not say that I would want to use Steam.
I meant that when you buy the Android version, you can actually download their games onto your device, play and save your data locally on said device.
In steam you also can download  the games and probably have your save data offline.
I know that then your products are bound to steam and the client must be active to play.

I thought that on a PC you were forced to play their games online via the website.
I know that modern internet connections and browsers have no problem playing such games.
What I meant was that to my knowledge you could download and play completely offline only on Android or on Steam with its own DRM enforced compared to directly downloading the games as let's say a .zip or .exe file.

About audio VS independent or mainstream games:
I get your points, but what I am not sure about is the scale.
If a mainstream company has a huge team working six months on a title, how much of that time is for designing the game (creating the rules and mechanics on paper or digitally), before it is actually coded.
And how much money and time in game development for high rated mainstream games is solely spent on graphics?

Yes, we don't have many engines and tools, but what many of them do is dealing with lots of different graphic features which an audiogame engine would not necessarily need.

I am no game developer, so I can't know what would be required and how long it would take to actually code the thing.
Yes with engines and libraries, you can shorten that time considerably, but I am really unsure if you still can't compare feature sets when many hours of work in mainstream development is dedicated to graphical things.

On the other hand, let's look at what we have.

Example#1: Draconis Entertainment

It had been years since their last title before they made Change Reaction 2.0.
Since then they "only" made Silver Dollar.
Now I obviously can't know how much time it took to make Change Reaction 1 into version 2.
However, once the fundation was set, they could have converted all their titles by now, even if you allow for real life problems to show up and the hinted plans for more new releases being in the works also.

However, in all these years they did not make more Pinball addons.
I can't know how this game was developed, but somehow they could give it an extension in form of the Pinball Party Pack.
Back then they said they might make more table packs, but since then no one has seen anything new for this game even before their new engine came out.

Example #2: VGStorm
Psycho Strike was a nice game, don't get me wrong here, but it seemed a bit small story whise.
Only two major goals you could choose and not much regarding the main character's backstory.
You can't tell me that character design and story content would have cost more than the music and sound effects the game utiliced.
You have to make/write these before you code anything or use any kind of game engine.
And adding more locations would have been nice.
Seriously, if you make a game in which you are a criminal, then you expect to be able to do more things like blowing stuff up, burning down buildings, smuggle drugs, participate in gang wars and so on.
If there was free movement around the town this story was set in, it would have been even better than it is now.
None of these things requires you to know how big a mainstream game of this type might actually be, but it is your imagination and fantasy which decides how you create a game or a game world.
Look at the Manamon topic for example.
There were points raised about how unbalanced the different monster types and their move sets are, or how badly written some of the pre battle dialogue scenes were.
To fix these don't need more money for more expensive music or development tools which there are none to use than the ones already there.
And think of Paladin of the Sky.
Seriously no footstep sounds?
Even after the game was released and sold?
Ok, this is a small thing, but nearly everyone who made PC audio games had sounds for that regardless of their quality, since for some kind of realistic audio experience you should be able to hear on what surface you walk.

Example#3: BK series
The first one was made by a Japanese school boy around sixteen maybe earlier.
There you already could explore a large game world and the levels were not side scrollers, allthough you had no platforming elements and could not go up or down.
Look at the constant content updates BK3 with a now more experienced developer gets.
You have 100 levels and you have to play them in all 16 modes before you have unlocked everything.
If that game was commercial on release and a demo might have let you play let's say ten stages, I think it might have been a huge commercial success because it has a huge replay value, lots of hidden items and other unlockable things as well as a feature similar to what sighted people call "New Game +".

Is there anyone who actually knos what this feature is and how it works?
If not in short it means that you can play a game to its end, start a new game and can keep your character level, equipment and weapons.
You have to optain quest items again but you keep your level and when you fight, your enemies get higher levels also, so that you can do this multiple times while you level and your enemies level also.
This is essentially a kind of secondary difficulty setting.
In many games this is separate from the difficulty settings in their options.
You could play a game in easy mode, could level your character from 1 to 100, defeat the final boss around that level, choose the new game plus option start with your level 100 and your first monster might be level 101.
Selecting a separate difficulty mode might make enemies faster or the might dodge your attacks more often or something similar.
Often new locations, items, characters or enemies show up only during your second or third playthrough of a game.

I haven't seen this feature in non Japanese audio games for PC and it often would require only some additions to your code, since you go through the same game again with some other items and different stats compared to your first playthrough.

Regarding the development itself and regarding the IOS games, I really wonder what is going on there.
Yes, Apple might be not user friendly in not telling people before something is dropped from the store.
But someone in this topic mentioned that one of these IOS games got less usable with each IOS update before it stopped working.
At least in that case wouldn't the players have contacted the developer of the game and told them that problems were showing up due to updates?
If this was a gradual process and the developers simply did nothing, then this looks like their mistake that the games were pulled.
And they did not release all their products at the same day, so even if they did not initially know how bad IOS updates might mess their programs up, at some point they should have noticed and at least atempted to do something about it.

On the other hand, why are IOS updates so nasty to apps?

I think everyone praises these devices because nearly everyone who uses them has the same hardware thus development of any program is simplified because you don't need to test for many configurations, relese your product to find that a certain number of customers can't use your product because your sound or Graphic card driver is causing an unforeseen problem.
These things should not happen on mobile devices, so why are there so many compatibility problems and while we are at it, why is it seemingly impossible to feature backwards compatibility?
If you know exactly which hardware an IPhone 5 used, surely your software can be made so that it simulates IPhone 5 components on an IPhone 6 when you want to use IPhone 5 compatible apps.
And when you have IOS 10 on a device and IOS 11 comes out and your device is still supported, any compatibility issues should be only due to the software.
Which brings us back to why compatibility on the same device is a problem for major software updates and why there is no legacy compatibility mode of some kind.

And finally regarding post 22:
That is my problem, too.
I would like to be able to download, play and where possible modify my game or at least config files whenever I want on what machine I choose.
That is the reason why I did not like the fact that Papa Sangre for example was only IOS exclusive.
I did never play the game, but I could hear uncommented recordings of someone playing through it and its soundscape was one of the best in western audio games I had ever heard.
Same goes for levels and choices.
Many audio and not text games don't have branching storylines where the world changes if you save a certain person or let them die.
I obviously did not know how you actually play such a game regarding touch input.
But I found it restricting that such a seemingly good game was only available to such a restricted system.
If I had my own IPhone, I might have bought it.
But I still would have wondered what a gaming experience it might have been if there really was a PC version with keyboard, mouse or game controller Support.

And on Computers you can if you know how install older games and probably Play them (obviously with exceptions).
But I think using or making abandonware available on IOS is impossible due to the use of the app store.

So, there is probably no Chance of getting These games later as abandonware, if their development and Support is really stopped by their developer.

2017-02-07 06:46:57

@Dark: Yes, we understand that, but of course we're not everyone. Asking normal users to manage files, when they don't even know the nature of data or filesystems or storage or anything like that, is a challenge. I would love to see more liberalisation in this regard, but I'm also in favour of making things as simple as possible and no simpler and there's no question that iOS is made a pleasant experience by the elimination of many variables that desktop environments have. That's probably less true over time as desktop operating systems move to app stores themselves or employ signatures to protect their users, as well as user-level sandboxing of software, but still, I think for most users doing simple content consumption it's hard to argue that mobile devices aren't now a simply superior option. I agree with you that doing real work still requires a computer to operate with any kind of efficiency, but then I'm a keyboard user and I'm pretty sure Apple could add keyboard support to iOS if they wanted to bridge that gap. Indeed, iPad already has more keyboard commands. We have to move with the times ... and do our bit to advocate for freedom from vendor lock-in, and general-purpose computers that we can actually use to do whatever we want, with whatever level of flexibility that we want. Thankfully it's still not impossible to do that today, and as long as you know where your iOS device puts data and maintain master copies of things you care about in a real file system under your control, you should be all right. Well, except in cases like this, where there's no realistic way to prevent Apple from breaking something your older apps use, and no easy way to opt out of software updates that include the breakages, which I agree is unfortunate. The apps in question were already not working for some users, so I'm hard-pressed to blame Apple for actually removing them from sale in the store, but it would have been nice if they'd given us some sort of warning or at least left them hosted on the store under Purchases (I believe iTunes can still be used to transfer the binaries, but the app is deleted from Apple servers for reasons of contract, which again is understandable).

@Lord_Raven: iOS has some amount of backward compatibility, but of course it can't always compensate for apps. Apple tries to allow apps to work on different screen sizes, or work with older SDKs, but ultimately some architectural and guideline changes simply can't be handled without the developer at least rebuilding their app.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-02-07 06:52:41

I don't mind subscribing to a centralised repo of stuff as such.
The stuff you buy say on the music store is your stuff.
I wouldn't go the apple music or pandora or other sub root like spotify unless ofcause it just didn't matter.
Ie if you streamed everything only.
I have friends and family with ipods and various devices that do this.
Their systems stream their music, no they don't store all of it.
Ofcause they have a load of it themselves but they have others.
I guess then the advantage of a centralised service is if you can't or don't care to have a drive with your stuff and a device and a net connection then its all golden.
That does have disadvantages.
Third world countries where the net just doesn't exist or only exists in poor condition just sucks.
I have talked to people on skype in some of those countries  and while yes it is possible in most cases, the drop outs and data quality just isn't worth it.
Backup drives are better but as I found last year, where one 6 year old was just corrupt and dead and 2 of them an older and a new drive failed at once are not fullproof either.
The same thing can be said about netflicks and other subscriptions.
And reguardless of what we think, I know video outlets are just going bye bye allo over auckland its cheap enough to watch what you want and when you want.
That may be the attraction to the new agers round here.
Ofcause us has beens just think its a load of tosh but our world is slowly going the way of the t rex!
I hate to say it but the borg are taking over weather we like it or not.
Apple is just about the only people we have issue with though they seem to be everyone's issue.
Even though they are the way they are their tech is still good for now, a lot of stuff is still written for it.
More than droid but who knows.
I am actually sad that the microsoft groove store hasn't caught on as much as I thought it should.
Everything you buy from them is full mp3 and it is yours.
Unlike google where you need an almost inaccessible manager to get all your library at once, the ms stuff is accessible and its yours but not many take advantage which sucks.
And all you need is either a windows ms account or an apps account with a win10 device and groove and it just does what it does.