2017-01-11 15:38:27

LOL. Nicely worded. Much nicer than I would had said. LOL. We will see February first. After all, they could be just collecting info. Yes, the price seems rather high for just a giveaway. I would go as far as saying that it looks like it is coming from their page and was posted on Facebook along with being sent out via email. I wonder if they could had been hacked... On the other hand, it does sort of look real. The info I gave when submitting my name could be figured out via other places I have been and done online if you looked hard enough for the most part. For example, doing a search in the FCC database for my radio call sign, you would find my name and address. Then again, there is the address that I gave Facebook. I am sign up to a mailing list or two, or at least more than that in the past, and there is an email address connected to that. There is also the info that I gave google awhile back to have a google account. So, to say my info is out there is a bit of an understatement.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-01-12 00:28:31

Well they are legit, after all there was a giveaway that they conduct from time to time when you make a tech support call from Humanware asking you to fill out a survey for your input. They did announce that someone actually won that via email, so if you weren't a winner you weren't left hanging.

2017-01-18 04:47:36

the braille note uses old braille display technology. why not wait and get an orbit20 for $499 when it comes out in the spring and pair that with your iphone and pc and other devices?

2017-01-18 13:00:10

Only one reason. Who ever wins the drawing can get a free display. Trust me, if I do not win this drawing, I will weight.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-01-18 18:09:56

APH reallyp issed me off. They said the Orbit would be coming at the end of 2016. Then, it's changed to sometime this year? I was ready to purchase it. Now, I got a used Focus 40 Blue from someone from Canada for $350. I don't need the Orbit Reader anymore. Still, I hope it works well for those that want cheap braille whenever APH finally releases it.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-01-21 05:05:00 (edited by jack 2017-01-21 05:05:39)

Josh, the orbit reader's braille technology is still way too new to make the traditional motor-driven braille technology immediately considered quote unquote old braille technology. The orbit's in a league of its own, being the first and only device  to feature this technology. So it's not like a simple out with the old, in with the new. Just because it may be ready for reading, doesn't mean it's ready for people to go rapidly moving through menus, I mean look at the refresh rate on that thing. A few seconds if I'm not mistaken, which is perfect for reading, after all it takes a second or so to move back to the left of the display to read the next string of output. But for on the fly braille, pc usage for example, it's not quite ready for that, yet. Are they trying to get it ready for that before release? Possibly, who knows. They've been pretty behind the scenes with it lately. But I think it's getting close to release, because an nvda update came out that had a driver for the orbit. If there's ever a perfect time to get the screenreader drivers ready, it's before the release of the display. And the Braillenote Touch may be old braille technology if you'd like to call it that, but it's certainly the top of the line. I've seen weaker pins, look at the focus as an example. Those easily give, totally unsuited for someone with a physical/fine0motor disability. Braillenote? Well, not quite there for someone who has dexterity related disabilities, they still give if you push down hard, but it's not like you can gently push down and they give. You can definitely tell the levers are stronger. The long and short of it is, if you can afford it or win it, and it works for you, then more power to you.