2017-01-07 01:29:27

Hi folks,

It's been awhile since I've been proactively posting on the forum here.

The other day I thought it would be fun to check and look at my old postings, between topics and answers.

Man, I have to say, I was definitely a real jerk when I wrote out here for a period of time.  For those of you who read my stuff, I'm sure it might have crossed your mind that "wow, this guy can be condescending," or maybe "This guy needs to get off his high horse."

When I was reading, I noticed I was strongly opinionated, and sometimes asserting things that were not true.  I even got into a scuffle with another user, for no good reason, might I add.

This was intended for self-reflection, but also to shed light on people (no one who I've encountered on this forum) who don't know how to carry themselves on the net.

So to those of you who might have read some poor etiquette in my writing, I do apologize.

Furthermore, the ability to behave well online is nearly just as crucial in interaction as much as it is offline.  I didn't learn that lesson until recently, it seems.
big_smile

Cheers,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2017-01-07 02:10:21

+1 for that post Luke smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-01-07 08:59:19

The problem with online interactions is that they are literally immortal. Even if this forum were to go down tomorrow, and all traces of it seemingly wiped away, there would be pages of it that had been cached, either through Google, the Internet Archive, or both. Or, of course, through various other lesser known services. That's a heavy load to bear when you know you've done something dumb or shameful.

I hate the idea that an employer could trace me just by a username alone, and that stuff I did when I was 13 or so, when I first got into using the internet, could be called into question if ever I get interviewed for a job. Never mind that, y'know, I was 13, and also, that it all happened damn near 15 years ago. So, believe me, I understand where you're coming from. But hindsight is always 20/20. What can we who regret our foolish choices do? Mourning the stupid things we've said on various virtual venues is fruitless, no matter how hard we beat ourselves up about it. I guess that all we can do is vow to improve our communication skills in the future, and hope that it amounts to something in the professional world.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-01-07 09:43:43

I did the same on Facebook around a week ago, and got really confused with myself. I saw posts from 2011 with such content as follows:
"Hello people, it's Tuesday, much as it was yesterday Monday."
Also, I would make analysis of an occasion such as the statement of an important person, or the speeches of politicians around here, completely bias, parcial and unheard of.

2017-01-07 09:50:44

We've all been that guy (or girl, if that be the case), and yeah, those can be some pretty embarrassing and disgusting things to look at later. Even our future employers have, as everyone has. Knowing that, it'd be silly to look at someone's years-old past without considering there more recent, and current, activity. I've had several of those "did I really..." moments, both in online and offline interactions, in forums, on social media websites, on various calling/chatting apps, and in person. No one is perfect, and yes, thanks to the internet, those interactions are there forever. What is also there, hopefully, is improvement. Do you mature over time, or are you still making the same mistakes you were making 11 years ago?

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2017-01-07 12:18:49

Thumbs up from me as well there, though honestly having been around this forum for a long time and having had to deal with msot most of the drama I can't actually recall you being involved in anything serious that you'd need to regret, then again I don't really take much note of who was responsable for what once things are over anyway.

I don't think any potential employer would be interested in checking anyone's online activity for years and years back, since most have a fairly narrow focus of interest where applications are concerned even now. Indeed ironically with the information age it often seems the focus of people, especially professional people is getting narrower rather than wider. Likely the only people who would check up on a backlog are either friends who know about things anyway, or some sort of security service involved with a criminal investigation.

I actually find it somewhat encouraging myself that there is a backlog of my thoughts and interactions, a footprint kicking around, especially because in the eleven years I've been on this forum, a lot has changed in my life, both bad and good and it's sometimes nice to reflect on that.
I got a nice feeling of the very opposite sort when I went back and looked at some of my posts from 2006, and realized that I've not actually changed all that much big_smile.

In terms of growing up though, I think most people have stuff they regret or times they think they've made a real fool of themselves, and the internet won't change that.
The people with the really major problem though, and most of the people who remain total arseholes are the people who don't regret anything and are always convinced of their own rightness down to the hilt, indeed this seems to be the key characteristic of most really nasty bullies I've met in my life, that they have no capacity to understand they might have been in the wrong or harmed or just annoyed someone else.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-07 15:42:32

Well said, Dark, and thumbs up!
There isn't a post I've put out here that I regret, and that has nothing to do with my being right or wrong, but more with the fact that I've always done my best to be right and my best to admit when I'm wrong about something.  Every topic I've debated on, discussed or otherwise interacted with people on and have been a part of is a topic under which I've presented evidence and fact with as much clarity as I can, attempting even under the temptation and strain of bias to keep the factual and the hypothetical separate from one another.  There are things I've seen work in practice and things I believe would work in theory, and it is best not to get the two confused with one another.  On the occasions where I have been wrong, I am willing to be held to it so that, as you may have read before, I can move on to being right.
I'm kind of the opposite to the above, I suppose... The things I find I've said that I regret most have been said to people personally rather than on public forums or social media platforms.  Even on chat logs I usually find more content that once presented itself to me as enjoyable, usually accompanied by bitter sweet memories of times I wish I could relive if only for the sake of viewing said times from a different perspective.  My greatest regret, knowing what I know about life, how each person's life is so delicate and how we all touch one another in ways we cannot even begin to comprehend or imagine, knowing that I may have wasted even an instant of anyone else's, is that I have only one life to live.  Once upon a time I believed only in that which I and others I dearly trusted perceived; I've come a far way from that, accepting that perception is not always reality.  Were I able to make up for the lost years, I would gladly do it, but as I gain nothing from dwelling  on that which has gone and I know nothing of that which has yet to come, I settle for making the best out of every moment I've been given.  To simplify with famous words, "The past is history, the future is a mystery, but today is a gift; that’s why they call it “the present.”

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-01-07 15:52:05

I think i blame screen-readers not being able to convey proper tone more than anything when i look at some of my early posts where i kind of lashed out at someone for saying something that i thought was snarky, but turned out to simply be a misunderstanding. Of course i was younger then, and even at 27, i'm still growing, and learning how to treat people better.

2017-01-07 16:47:50

It's something not everybody (in fact the vast majority) doesn't consciously think about.  Think before you speak is what our parents often tell us, but rarely do most people ever follow suit with that old but wise piece of advice.

What's interesting to me is that interaction on the net, at least to me, has greater room for catching yourself than in face-to-face verbal communication.  On average, I bet users glance over their posts before submitting, at least to the extent that they're not just writing character for character and passively writing nonsense, followed by the submission.  I've done this multiple times, but I'm also not average. tongue You'd think that with such a difference in the conduct and the way we communicate on the web, we'd have the propensity to check over what we write before posting to the public domain.  This doesn't happen to the degree at which people make sure they're properly communicating their ideas in spite of the fact that this is only a text-based environment.  Alas, this doesn't happen, and as Arqmeister pointed out, especially in our situation, we have no choice but to have a mediary bending the message in a seemingly minuscule way, but it can make the largest impact as he also referenced.

I find myself thinking I'm too good to ever edit my writing before posting out on the web, but no one is perfect and can be expected to proofread every time.  Human nature, or perhaps laziness is to blame.  I've been better recently with checking my wording, my phrasing, my overall ability to express what I mean.  It's a tricky thing, and shouldn't be made out to be easy.

Best,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2017-01-07 16:58:30

If anyone wants a prime example of immaturity, just take a look at my posts from 2012-2013, I believe I even had an argument with 1 of the moderators, which I do believe was brought up by something mildly or majorly stupid that I said. But, oh well, nothing I can do about it now, I'm just going to look on improving for the future.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-01-07 17:39:53

I learned by doing. I lost a lot of arguments (and potential friends) by being like that. Now I'm one of the most laid back guys you can find.
It's nice to reflect on how far we've come, though, sometimes. I've taken a break from here (sometimes for years) but still, regardless.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2017-01-07 20:07:08 (edited by Slender 2017-01-07 20:11:36)

I still remember my first post in the Introductions topic, and I remember when I went by Mohamed the Weirdo... *insert horrified look here*. Back then, I think, the way I spoke was a lot different as well. I don't think I ever really started much drama, however I still remember I didn't really post that much for about a year, until I rediscovered the forum and got back on it.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-01-08 09:27:38

Well oddly enough I tend to write as I speak, unless I'm preparing a formal document such as a book review,  or news post or something academic, and even then, it's sort of how I would speak in that situation given a bit more time to choose propper words big_smile.

Mrs. Dark, who I first corresponded by email with for a good six months before actually speaking to her on the phone or meeting her in person said rather the same thing, that I'm pretty much the same by writing as in person.

I do tend to wiz through my posts, but that to make sure of coherence rather than worry about offending people, since usually I've found that people won't get offended so long as I actually take note of what they've said and avoid getting personal, not to mention acknolidging of course if I have made a mistake with someone, sinse obviously no communication is perfect in any form at all and I am far from infallible.

Well oddly enough I tend to write as I speak, unless I'm preparing a formal document such as a book review,  or news post or something academic, and even then, it's sort of how I would speak in that situation given a bit more time to choose propper words big_smile.

Mrs. Dark, who I first corresponded by email with for a good six months before actually speaking to her on the phone or meeting her in person said rather the same thing, that I'm pretty much the same by writing as in person.

I do tend to wiz through my posts, but that to make sure of coherence rather than worry about offending people, since usually I've found that people won't get offended so long as I actually take note of what they've said and avoid getting personal, not to mention acknolidging of course if I have made a mistake with someone, sinse obviously no communication is perfect in any form at all and I am far from infallible.
Of course, I'm learning like everyone else, indeed to quote a rather nice homily, the day you stop learning is the day you die.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-08 10:50:35

hi luke!
this is the best topic which I have ever seen in this forum and thanks for posting it out.
I often posted harsh in this forum and also many times these mods have warned me.
after my ban in audyssey I felt ashamed and wrote to shane and his ignorance always pinches me.
I do condemn the dramas and flame wars but I am nott a polite person.
because maybe I have a negative feeling about politeness I don't know whenever I see a polite person I make the perception that the person is a diplomat and selfish.
so I use a different tone insteadof politeness.
I have been blocked by many persons and many groups and so I have decided that I will not post anything in that facebook groups.
lastly I have a question for moderators!
am I at risk?
Thanks
ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2017-01-09 19:07:53

we all have done shameful stuff, with or without knowing, at any point of life. If I dated myself back around 2008 something up to now, I'd probably see the same. The thing is some people never learn thfrom there past actions and maturity.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-01-09 21:50:34 (edited by daigonite 2017-01-09 21:50:43)

I despise the fact about the internet that people will still judge you for something you said years ago, even though you as a person may have changed. Why should we be perfect in this day and age if we never were perfect to begin with? People should be more forgiving.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2017-01-09 22:10:43

amen to post 16

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-01-10 05:10:54

I think we've all been "that guy," in some point in our lives.  I, too, have thought on the past and myself and have come to the conclution that I have been stupid, immature, a douche, rude, complacent, etcetera etcetera.  I, too, have been that guy.

All we can do is to learn from it and to not be "that guy," any longer.

2017-01-10 06:00:58

Agreed completely with post 16. I guess it's easy to judge a book by its cover, almost literally. Imagine that everything you've said on the internet was enclosed in a beautiful leather tome, yet its beauty was subjective. Some would pass it up completely, while others would feel allured by it, and feel an obsessive need to delve into each and every crease of its pages, drinking in each and every word contained within. Now, imagine that most people, being human, focused on all of the negative things that were in those pages first. There may very well be lovely prose superimposed on all of those dark and deadly secrets, but most of us, with our prejudices and ignorances, and, dare I say, even triggers, would never notice them. That's basically what putting yourself out there on the internet entails. it's why I believe that you have to have a pretty thick skin in order to navigate what today's world wide web has to offer. It's not just called a web as a figure of speech; it will ensnare the weak as quickly as it can. or, rather, the people behind it will. You also need a healthy dose of common sense. Both common sense and a thick skin are traits that the majority of humanity is lacking, sadly, thus why we have things like safe spaces, and, on the opposite side of that spectrum, vicious attacks on those who said one tiny thing wrong, because everybody loves a freak show, even those who don't admit it.

All of that, however, is pretty far off the mark of the original topic.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-01-10 13:45:15

ON the other hand, I think the word troll is used far too lightly nowadays to excuse just about anyone.  I do believe there are people who are just outright abusive bullies who get away with that label because others plant it on them and say things like, "Don't feed the trolls," a kind of softener that in my mind brings forth the idea that we just need to shut up and accept that such behavior is ok.  There are people who simply want to get under your skin to elicit a response, and then there are people who's intent is far more malicious, people who relentlessly harass their targets.  the first group is rather interesting because, given a face to face conversation in a public area those same people would not dare say half the suckage they spew forth on the internet.  The second group will, sometimes trying to hide it from the public eye, but always with an attitude that they and they alone are truly better, as was the case with a couple in their 20's who recently visited a diner in Virginia and, instead of tipping their waitress left a note that simply said, "Great service, we don't tip black people."
Who is who?  It's hard to tell, but I find it hard to comprehend how being lazy about said figuring is a good thing, which is why I'm always careful about telling people on the net, particularly as the moderator of a website like this one, to stop feeding the trolls, as sometimes the complaint is valid.  One is simply having a laugh at another's expense, while the other is having a laugh at someone's expense and also getting a kick out of the hurt they cause that person in the process, and when we tell people to stop feeding the trols for the latter, it's like suggesting that they shouldn't stand up for themselves for things they more than likely can't help, such as being blind.

2017-01-10 14:09:49

Myself, I'd always assumed "don't feed the trolls" is a phrase used to others after the trolls have been dealt with.
For example, if someone posts a huge abusive rant, or behaves in a provoking manner, after that person has been warned or banned or otherwise got rid of, if people persist in prolonging the arguement or the bad feelings or similar, then! I'd use the phrase "don't feed the trolls", to mean that once the situation had been over and done with, don't give the offenders satisfaction in extending the fall out from the incident.

One of the good things about the internet when moderated properly is that you can do something you can't do in reality, you can literally exile someone. Obviously this sort of power needs exercising with respect, but it is actually one of the ways that the internet can be more orderly than off line, since unfortunately in reality the arse holes are often people you have to deal with (frequently because they are the ones in power, both on a large and small scale.

Then again before this gets too synical I'd better stop.

2017-01-10 15:07:38

Cynical?  That's me.  :d
I'm all for everyone having their own way of using words; it happens a lot on the net and that is, more than likely, a lot of the reason we have communication issues as Arq pointed out in post 8.  A recent example is a post in which I heard someone say they had malware on their PC and that they had tried everything to remove it.  When I hear that, I take that to mean short of nuking your PC while swearing at it and talking about how it conspires against you everything, other than wiping the drive and starting clean.  It's literal; it's direct, but it's not what the person meant.  I've tried everything more than likely as written in that post means I've tried everything I know, or I'm so frustrated I can't think of what to try next, which as far as I'm concerned, given my level of frustration means I've tried everything.
A statement like "don't feed the trolls," because of its vagueness, however, tends to become something of a catch phrase people use flippantly around others who may or may not seriously be the victims of cyberbullying and abuse or who suffer goodness only knows what kind of depression and thus take things a bit more harshly than everyone else.  Words are of great importance, and if there's anything to be gleamed from this topic, I believe this is the point.

2017-01-10 21:00:49

Actually, I wouldn't say don't feed the trolls at all, because it's used so often nowadays that its effectiveness, which, for the reasons already discussed, was questionable at best, is all but lost now. Nobody even cares anymore if they're being called a troll, because it's basically a pop culture phenomenon. In some circles, it's considered cool to be a troll. It's really no different than any of the other ways that people have been assholes previously, it just seems to happen on a larger scale because you may, for example, get praise and high fives from your friends for spray painting graffiti on a wall, but that's where it ends. The comments that you make online may very well still be getting hits and likes years down the road. That's a huge ego boost for someone who's already an asshole, who needs that sort of power trip to exist.

2017-01-11 17:08:23

Myself I prefer to go ad play alteraeon and get great satisfaction in slaying trolls, something I can't do in reality big_smile.

2017-01-11 22:02:06

hahaha!  Good one, Dark.  it's been awhile since I've encountered a troll on Alter now at level 31, but I'm sure one will come up soonish.