2016-12-30 13:46:10

smoothgunner The clipboard input should handle one return or new line, whereas the file input should handle multiple carriage returns or newlines.  The codes \n and \r are for newlines and carriage returns respectively.  Sadly where I have stripped such characters out of the encryption and reinserted them later, I only took out the \n and not the \r.  It's a bug, sorry.  On the up side the program did tell you, on the downside when you unscramble your 500 page novel, it will all be on one line!  It's at this point I realise I probably need 2 or 3 testers to hammer my programs before I release them.

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2016-12-30 14:04:25

Well, as far as I am concerned, this is nice and crypted.
There is something like 12^94 possibilities for the state of the seed, though I would love if somebody with a better handle on crypto had done the deed. The answer is in there somewhere!

2016-12-30 14:36:43

To everyone asking for hints and such, might it not be possible that there isn't supposed to be a winner?

Instead of thinking about it as a quest from a game or a contest that is supposed to have a clear winner, think about it more as a test of security. In other words, no hints, no clues, nothing overt to help people win that 100 dollars. The prize is possibly a reward for anyone who can break the security of this program and hopefully show the developer where the security hole is.

Remember that the developer said that if there was no winner, he would post the answer at the end of the contest. To me, this means that Rocky expects that there likely will not be a winner, and if there is one, it will not be easy to decrypt the phrase by any means.

2016-12-30 14:59:30

Hello,
@Rocky, yeah, if competition is meaned by this way, you are right, there should be no hints. Sorry for my previous message, I understood It as a security test like in AES competition, where source code of algorithms was needed, because tested was also strenght of cypher and Its wulnerabilities.
But this is also option, so now I am thief, and go to crack unknown cyphring machine, great, I have already some ideas how to do It. smile
Have a nice day.

Rastislav

2016-12-30 16:02:19

Hello Rocky.
I want to be your tester for your programs.
I like your programs and games.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2016-12-30 18:31:20

Ctoth, well done on the source code.  I had been working on this myself yesterday but I didn't have any tools to extract the source.  I'm surprised it came out so clean!

I have been working at this in a more traditional (low tech) way.  I made dozens of lists where I encrypted messages, looked for patterns, and eventually worked out what I referred to as the value wheel.  In your ripped source I see it was called ListA.

From there I went with a different approach to the wheels.  Not necessarily by choice, but because it would have been a pretty lucky guess to know how he had internally arranged things.  If you were presented with 4 wheels that spun vertically and contained 5 symbols on each, their motions can be expressed as 5 horizontal wheels with 4 symbols, and so on.

Before I went to work for the night, I had made some pretty good progress.  Without using Rocky's original program, I can take any message and encrypt it with any 1 digit long key.  The results will be exactly as if Rocky's program had encrypted it.  I am also able to decrypt any message that was encrypted with a 1 digit long key.  That's a far cry from being solved, but I do think it shows how much of the machine's internal "wiring" someone can deduce just by looking for patterns in messages you encrypt.

I have been working on the second wheel, but now that you've provided the source I may stop going in the direction I have been going in, and use this information to find a faster path.  When I say working on the second wheel, I don't mean the exact second wheel from Rocky's program.  It's confusing and complicated, because my approach was not identical to how Rocky built his program.  If I were to work out my second wheel, I would be able to encode and decode anything for key lengths of 1 or 2.  It would continue to climb, as each new wheel was solved, until I found the key length that Rocky used to encode his message.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-01-01 05:35:57

As the new year kicks over here in the U.K. perhaps the competitoijn I  is officaially open but diddfufeclut for me tl say.  So much to sy so little zombies to express my thoughts for me and too many variables.  Did that versiojn 2 and many more wheels and choice for user to put whenneels in different ordr and now version 2 hard o to t undrersnatd so good luck all. Can I put up verson 2 or would that be unfiar? aneasy news year and enjoy and hopr . I thin that was hope.

2017-01-01 05:43:25

much as I agree with you rocky I think zombies with 4 wheels is a bad idea. if I can unscramble a chicken though I will pluck it with abandon. hopefully no feathers will fall on Tuesday.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2017-01-01 05:52:35

I found the lost when last we saw the golden dragon but you need my last name when stars are counting the why nots.

Words Are Hard

2017-01-01 06:01:31

and still the shadow of the walrus stands tall over the secondary cheese

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2017-01-01 06:41:48

Hey all.
Rockywaters is in quite a state right now and ask me to post hhis updated challenge.
You to claim the 100 dollar prise you must not collect the 12 golden animal crackers.
The 12 crackers can be divined by solving his first clue and finding the silver spoons. each spoon will lead you to a golden cracker.
Email rocky for more details.

Words Are Hard

2017-01-01 18:54:40

On a more sober note.  No one has claimed the 100$ reward, but I have received several insights.  Firstly, python being a scripting language is apparently easy to decompyle.There are some methods out there to help hide source code, all rather complicated, and none of them seem to be any guarantee.  Basically, python is not what you would use for this sort of thing.  So, don't use this for military or commercial uses, ok?  Secondly, there's always reverse engineering, which is way more powerful than I had thought.  My current take on this, is that it will eventually come down to the  strength of the password.

2017-01-01 19:05:37

I have written version 2.  In passwordScramblerV2 there are now 24 wheels instead of 12, the master password has no limit in length, and there is an optional second password that will shuffle the 24 wheels, again no password length limit.  While this gives the user even more protection, it comes with an extra step and one more item to remember.  Any thoughts on this most welcome, not sure yet whether to release this version 2.

2017-01-01 20:14:40

when i ran the program for my output guess it came up with JK;yDzBvP*hO>p3QJ:mU0Jn^<,}( +}Ae>F

joseph weakland, the crazy party fan:P

2017-01-09 07:34:44

o6A<h_f:9t6!a*V#V9-'c)2pZeuA?`=ME

I am a gamer from the begining of my life, and that will not change :p

2017-01-09 12:11:17

Guys, the unscrambled sentence is understandable English as I think, not these tons of unknown letters!

2017-01-31 17:02:26

Being the 31st of Jan the competition is now closed. And here's the answer, appropriately this being post number 42.
If you copy the scrambled text to the clipboard
A~V'(H(EtV.aSEdWa`HxRDAP>k/N.2.WLRx
run the password scrambler, choose decoding mode,  with the master password of
Time4FUN&Games
choose output to screen, you will see:
WishingAllAtAudioGamesACracking2017

2017-01-31 17:12:58

I am concluding that this encryption machine is safe to use, but only if you choose a strong password.  I am therefore releasing a version 2, with unlimited length of password, 24 encryption wheels instead of 12 and an optional second password that reorders the wheels.  Personally I am happy to keep all my passwords in one text file, but at some future point I intend to return to encryption and make a password keeper to conveniently store and retrieve passwords.  Thank you for taking part and please share any ideas for improvement, or tales of woe.

2017-01-31 18:06:30

Version 2 is now up on www.rockywaters.co.uk

2017-01-31 18:34:34

Breaking this thing was too much for me.  Well done on the contest Mr. Rocky!  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software