2016-12-27 15:02:57

Hello and good morning to everyone.
I wanted to do this for quite a while now, but  never found the time do dive into it, but  now I want to try my hands at it.
I want to get started with learning the funktions of reaper and everything it has to offer, but I need a little bit of starting help from those who already know the program.
Firstly, I guesss I don't know every feature reaper has to offer, I heard some audio editing demos, but I also heard from someone that I am able to compose my own music with the program, is that true?
Also, what do I need to get started with the program? With that I mean exstra resources to make the tool accessible, I am using the latest build of NVDA on a windows 10 64 bit machine.
Already thanks in advance.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-12-27 17:01:53

You can get Osara from here. That's what you need from an accessibility standpoint, at least on windows, I don't know if it is accessible on mac or not. Just download the installer. That is really what you need to use the program, now whatever VST's you load in, well you could have good or not so good luck with them accessibility wise. People say to install the 32 bit version even on a 64 bit system because then there is no bridging to be done and that fumbles accessibility with your plugins, but I just use the shift P shortcut to open parameters on the selected track and edit it that way. You can also check out the RWP Mailing list and subscribe to it if you wish.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-12-27 19:32:19

The SWS extention is also highly recommend. Don't have a link right now, but you should be able to google it... it's not strictly needed for an accessible reaper, but if you have it, you'll find it a much smoother process than running without it.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-12-27 20:25:40

Closely watching this topic; I never figured out why so many people are apparently using it and yet keeping its obviously feature ritch environment so secret.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-12-27 21:21:15

What do you mean by secret? I don't think people using it are keeping it guarded... but it does require a bit of tinkering to learn, there's a bit of a learning curve from single track like GoldWave to full featured DAW like Reaper. Resources are just hard to find because noone or group of blind users has actually sat down and written up a useful guide for it.

2016-12-30 02:56:12

i hate that sws thing, it screwed up my entire reaper where nothing worked right anymore, never again.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-12-30 21:41:05

Really? That's odd... it shouldn't do that. I installed it and it's worked great... it's so useful to have the extention handy, and I haven't even touched the surface of what it can do.

2016-12-31 02:43:33

I don't even know what all it does, but it turned my reaper upside down and nothing worked the same way again.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-12-31 15:51:41

Hmm. That is so odd... it basically lets you do a lot of things that stock reaper doesn't like using command line type commands to assign groups of inputs, adjust volume and pan, change pitches in cents instead of semitones, etc. There's more, but those are the only things I know about / use right now.

2016-12-31 22:13:22

This is what I want to do, and maybe it needs VAC, idk, I do have it. I want to have voice from my mic into one track in reaper, and soundcard without voice in a separate track in reaper with one recording session, that way I can do game recordings, and if the balance isn't good between voice and game audio, I could fix it in reaper.

I have tried and tried to figure a way to do this and have been unsuccessful. What you can do is loopback speakers in shared mode in devices in the preferences screen, but that won't do what I want.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-12-31 22:21:29

That'll be tricky without VAC... and VAC is a pain to figure out. I haven't scratched the surface on it yet... it also depends on the mic you're using. You can't run two audio systems of different types... which means if your mic is asio complient but your soundcard is not, then there's not much you can do about it other than routing your game audio through one virtual audio cable and your mic through the other then sending both of those to different tracks. But there again depends on your soundcard, and mic. The easiest would be to get either an audio interface or mixer, and use that as your computer's soundcard and just send the outputs to the desired tracks in reaper.

2017-01-09 00:25:34 (edited by Dgleks 2017-01-09 00:26:10)

I'd advise against using OSARA or any SWS extensions. ReaAccess, although it be  virtually discontinued, is still grate and will do anything you want it to do.
-Dgleks

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2017-01-09 08:30:58

I'm curious what you can do with Rea Access that warrants a statement like that... I love Osara an SWS. lol

2017-09-24 06:32:11

As for the mac version, osara and sws work fine. I'm not even sure reaccess still works with the new versions of reaper, someone told me it only worked with like version 3 or something.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-21 22:23:15

What is the difference between Asara and RaeAccess and SWF? I am also trying to get to learning Reper, but I haven't found anyone to show me.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-10-23 15:26:31

Hi,
I highly recommend a new source:
http://reaperaccessibility.com/

check out my instrumental music at http://ondrosik.bandcamp.com

2017-10-24 01:32:22 (edited by Ethin 2017-10-24 01:34:47)

Actually, Reaper now highly recommends that you use ASARA rather than ReaAccess. ReaAccess was discontinued most likely because it prohibited the use of itself on other OSes. (https://reaperaccess.com/tag/osara still recommends ReaAccess, despite it's discontinuation.) The problem with ReaAccess is it's impossible to download it now, officially at least, because it's website is no longer in English. Furthermore, ASARA is recommended because it's developed openly, unlike ReaAccess, and ReaAccess was abandoned. Using it is most likely a very bad idea these days.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-10-24 17:12:04

yes, in http://reaperaccessibility.com/ you can find sources to install and configure Osara, that's right.

check out my instrumental music at http://ondrosik.bandcamp.com