2017-01-05 16:18:24

@Tjt, yes, it will be available online, however I need to have a second viva and then possibly have more corrections after that, so it's not available currently, hopefully if everything goes as planned it should be later this year once all of that is sorted out.

@Phil, Mrs. Dark would not like that being as she has something of a major avertion to anything with a glutinous texture.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-07 19:09:03 (edited by Dan Gero 2017-01-07 19:13:15)

Sense we're talking about swimming, I feel like I should talk about something that happened 2 or 3 years ago. One time, we went to the beach to go swimming, and the tides happened to be coming in at that time. Well, the tide happened to bring in tuns of very unhappy jelly fish. I went out in the water to swim for a bit, and swam right into a jelly, and got the stinger stuck right in my foot. I had to drink tuns of water to keep my blood pressure down so I wouldn't have a heart attack from the poison, cause I already have bad cholesterol anyways from my unhealthy eating habits. So lesson learned. Don't go swimming at the beach when tides are coming in unless you have your whole body covered from the chest down with clothing. As for this year, we didn't get the chance to go swimming that much, which is kind of sad, cause we had amazing weather for it.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-01-07 19:13:00

Hey Folks,
Happy 2017! It really seems alter eon has undergone a lot of development lately. Perhaps I should give it another shot. I went on a mudding binge throughout my early teenaged years and since then have become very wary of anything with too much grinding or player politicking of the nastier sort. What would you all say is a mud with very little repetitive activity and a decent player base?
I know where you're coming from CAE when you talk about motivation and the existential terror of stepping out into the world and looking for the right environment. At some point you've got to make the leap, and see where you land.
I found a friend in Japan who has a spare room and is willing to rent out to me, so I'm taking a huge risk and going over there on a working holiday visa to look for English teaching work. Needless to say I'm very nervous. In the mean time I'm finishing up this English teaching certification and cramming as much Japanese into my head as I can. smile
I'm sad to hear about your lady's dog Dark. Those losses always leave a space in your heart that no other dog can fill.

2017-01-08 07:11:11

Hi.
Well it's been a good month so far. Although my dad just had open heart surgery and he's in a lot of pain so if you could keep him in your prayers. I visited him yesterday I've never seen him so sick. I knew this was coming but still it's awful. My grandfather went through the same thing but I was so little I barely remember.
Anyway, on a happier note I got a mandolin for christmas. I'm learning how to play it, it's coming to me very easily. I seem to have a nack for stringed instruments. I can play guitar, traditional dulcimer, mandolin now, ukulele, and if I tuned one of my guitars way down probably bass. I've been wanting to start or get into a band. I'm a little shy around people at first so I don't know how that will work yet. I've been getting lessons for different instruments from bard. This guy bill brown does a lot of guitar stuff which is good it helps me learn new songs and new techniques. I go to lessons anyway but I use the recorded lessons to learn new things more than once a week.
I've been reading a lot of good books mysteries and other things. Lately the dark tower series has been on my mind. I guess I should probably read it again. As much as I love it the ending still bothers me. You'd think that after all the time I spent reading it King could have brought a better ending than he did. I understand the ending a little better now that I'm older but I still don't like it. I like happily ever after better than doom and gloom at the end of a story.
@Dark, that's cool you read arcanum unbound I'm waiting for bookshare to get it. I like the stormlight archive too. I hate to say this but in many ways stormlight is a better kind of wheel of time story. So far it's been a lot more fun to read. Words of radiance had such an odd ending I'm wondering where the third book is going to go. The assassin Szeth who was one of my least favorite characters at first seems like he's not such a bad guy after all. Maybe in the third book he can be turned from the dark side of the force lol! I'm sorry to hear about your wife's guide dog. I've lost two dogs over the years so I can imagine how she feels. Even though my dogs were just regular non-guide dogs I know how that hurts. Anyway I'll have to check out this Connie Willis book sounds interesting.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-01-08 09:12:54

@Garrett, methinks your problem was not swimming when the tide was coming in, but swimming too close to jelly fish big_smile.

@Nial, Good luck with the English teaching. I know some people have done that, but like anything else it depends upon where you end up and how things work out, since Japan like anywhere else in the world has good or bad parts and indeed good or bad schools to work in, but if your going as far as wrenting rooms over there your probably aware of that.
Mud wise, I'm loving alteraeon right now, and not really noticing the grinding because I'm totally focused upon doing quests, and also because I so much enjoy all the nifty little activities and things that druids and mages can do (my char is a druid mage), such as brewing salves and tinctures (some of which rock), experimenting with potions, making spellstaffs, maintaining liveoak minians etc.
I'm also having fun with the leather armour crafting skill, though haven't made anything particularly good yet, and I'll be interested to see what happens when cooking gets added into the game.

If your looking for none grindy muds, three I can very much recommend are clok, frandom and avalon the legend lives.
Frandom is essentially a giant interactive fiction game built as a mud, albeit without complex guess the verb parsers. You progress not by fighting, but by wandering around, examining things, exploring, talking to people and doing many questes. It's a very cool game and one I do want to get back to.
Then there is Clok, which has some of the best crafting I've seen, very much the thing if you want to really feel like your part of another world doing wilderness ruvival, ---- I've also heard good things about lament on this score but not played it yet.

Lastly Avalon the legend lives is the thing if you want a truly huge and immersive game world with a lot of stuff to do. The only thing with avalon is most of what you do in terms of activities revolves around other players and organizations, still from what I gathered while I was there other players were pretty nice.
all of these have db pages so feel free to check them out, also as I said I am enjoying alteraeon quite a lot at the moment myself, I'm Thelok on there if you want to give me a yell (I'm not a one for grouping but I'll e glad to gift you some xp or carve you some runes).

@Guitarman, hope your dad is okay, my dad had a bypass last year after a heart attack. He's okay now, but it was definitely worrying, also thanks for the words about my lady's dog.
Dulcimer and mandolin? that is cool! I love the sound of both, indeed I've sung with a lute player before myself which was definitely an experience.

I'd agree with you about stormlight being like the best of WoT, though not too loudly since my lady ias a huuuuuge! WoT fan, I want to get her a replica ais sidai ring for our wedding aniversary. We even have arguements about what Aja she'd be, she fancies yellow for the healing but personality wise she's definitely a green, especially with how angry she gets about injustice, sometimes if she sees something upsetting about the news and gets justifyably irate I'll say "You are so a green!" and people think we're weerd big_smile.

anyway digression aside, you'll like the stormlight story in arcanum unbound, actually it was my favourite one of the lot.
Dark tower did have an odd ending, and I want to reread the series myself since I wasn't in a good place when reading the last three books. My lady has just finished reading cell which she liked, though she said was most distinctly a horror.

Doosmday book is good, I can recommend it, though check the link for the review over on fantasybookreview.co.uk for details.
Hopefully

Well it's nearly seven in the morning and I've had a rather sleepless night doing doctor who, so I'll probably go and see if I can get another quest or two done this morning before I crash, though i would finally! ike to sort out the amazon ecco today if I can, and now this post is getting waaaaay too long so methinks I'd better stop big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-18 04:52:27

Ahoy Guys!
Well I thought I'd post a chatty update lol.
I've been practicing my mandolin which has been awesome. I'm slowly learning the battle of evermore by led zeppelin which is an awesome mandolin song.
I've been reading some awesome mystery novels right now I'm reading the kept woman by karin slaughter. It's very good so far very scary and fast-paced.
I'm happy to say my dad is recovering from his heart surgery well. He's home and able to walk around and getting stronger. He's a lot better than the first time I saw him in the hospital which I'm glad he's come a long way.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2017-01-20 20:35:39

That's great about your dad!

I'm graduating LCB on February third. I am ever-so-slightly* concerned that things will go back to HFIL when I get home.
* By which I mean "extremely"

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-01-20 21:17:33

What is hfil?

2017-01-20 22:19:09

@Guitarman, cool about the mandoline and dulsima. Evermore is a fun song, though I really! dont' like the way the vocalists are so off in it, still the words are cool.
I always admire anyone who can play anything with strings, especially interesting things big_smile.
I'll have to ask my lady if she's read the kept woman, she does read mystery novels and I know she's read some of Karin Slaughter's (the woman has a great name for a mystery and suspense writer big_smile).

@Cae what is fhil? At first I thought you meant hell, then I thought hill, then I thought phil as in the short for philip.
So, which sort of extreme is it?

I confess this week for me hasn't been good. I've had a rotten cold, mrs. Dark and I are back and  wondering what next and it's very lonely without Neo, Mrs. Dark's dog who died over christmas, which means she's not been feeling good either. She's also having assessments for a new dog as well, which is necessary if not especially fun.

On the plus side my new windows 10 desktop has turned up, though I'm having a friend come and help me wire it into place, get all the quad speakers in etc, in the mean time I'm doing yet another omni backup of everything, well backup and making sure I'll have everything to transfer across to the new machine, assuming I can find wherever windows 10 puts things like internet explorer favourites etc.

That's probably not going to be until Sunday or maybe even next week though, since my friend is a busy fellow.

Other than that, and feeling a bit out of sorts I've been playing quite a lot of cosmic rage, which has slow paced activities that are perfect when feeling slightly down, albeit I've occasionally got a little bothered by the game's somewhat obscure help system, still as it's starting out I'm willing to give the bennifit of the doubt.

2017-01-20 23:24:08

HFIL stands for "Home for Infinite Losers". When Dragonball Z started airing in the US, they sensored a ton of things, one of which were the shirts worn by the oni in Hell. They just covered up the bottoms of the middle two letters. Fast forward a bit, and they couldn't avoid talking about the place, so they put words to it.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-01-21 15:40:15

@Dark: uh oh, I hope your windows 10 experience goes ok. Please keep us posted, as I'm quite curious and scared of the thing to try it myself at the moment. I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to put NVDA on there as a backup reader, don't enable it at startup though, as you'll still want to most likely use super nova for your starting reader as it's what you are used to. But if you had NVDA on there as a backup you could use it with different apps if supernova starts giving you trouble. Of course, sometimes apps just don't work with screen readers full stop. There's also the matter of microsoft's free windows 10 screen reader Narrator, but I think the layout could be a bit unconventional. Here's hoping though that super nova worrks with windows 10, it must do a bit, as you ordered it from dolphin directly. I'm really interested to see how this goes.

2017-01-22 00:12:42

@Aaron, I've still not got hold of my friend to connect the thing, so we'll see when things happen.
In terms of supernova, Dolphin are advertising the latest version to work with windows 10 and indeed are attempting to get people to stop using xp, indeedd I bought this machine as part of a general promotion they were running so I'm relatively confident, particularly with sn 15 being heavily focused on Windows 10.
Nvda is something I might try at some point but I'll see how supernova works first, since theoretically at least it should be running okay with most things that have actual text that can be interacted with, plus I confess that particularly on a new system, learning Nvda's rather less than logical  hotkey layout is probably not something I want to try at the moment.

One question I would like to know the answer to is where the favourites folder for internet explorer is on windows 10, since I do want to transfer all of my favourites across as I've got years worth of websites that I've bookedmarked and subfoldered for a tonne of different things.
I found it on my lady's Windows 7 machine, but I'm not sure about windows 10, not with all the various restrictions to folders and such.

@Cae, amusing aboutdragonball. I can't actually recall whether the version of dbz I watched in Britain (which was the Us ddub), had that sensoring or not, though I do recall Gohan cautioning someone to "not piss off the god of love" when they'd used the dragonballs to actually summon the dragon and were attempting to wish people back from the different dimention, and I do sort of remember my brother saying that in Gt Picalo finished up king of hell, so maybe we got a slightly less sensored version.

2017-01-22 03:43:34

Dark,
Internet Explorer favorites are found in c:/users/dark/Favorites
if your name dark is your user account

2017-01-22 17:20:21

@Dark: nvda's layout is quite logical, in fact ti's quite funny because a while ago Super Nova actually introduced a layout similar to jaws. It uses numpad 0 or capslock (you can set which one) as the modifier key, and then you press keys from there. So you can use numpad zero plus t to check the title bar of a window, for example. Of course, super nova/hal is really cool as well, back when I used it, you could just press, I believe, numpad seven to read a window title. I have really good memories with super nova.

2017-01-22 22:04:09

@Phil, thanks for that, that's good to know.
@Aaron, actually supernova has various layouts. The one you refer to with capslock or nubpad 7 and letters is I believe called the universal layout, which was introduced in about sn 10 I believe.
I however am used to either the function keys layout or numberpad layout, which is what I use on either a laptop or desktop, that is the one with numbpad 7 to read title, numbpad 2 to read status bar, numbpad 6 to read line etc.

Also, supernova and hal are the same program.
It used to be that Hal was the screen reader, and Luna the magnifyer while supernova was the combination of both. Then I believe around version 9 or so, Dolphin changed the name, so everything was either called the supernova screen reader, supernova access sweet or supernova magnifyer.
I did prefer when it was called hal, and actually the exe file to run it right up until version 13 was still hal exe, though that has changed in later versions I believe.

Either way, I'm hoping that things work correctly in terms of windows 10, though as I've not managed to get hold of my friend to do the connection the new computer is still sitting in a cardboard box in the corner of my living room, and since i've got to dash back to my parents on wednesday for a week it might be even more delayed which would be mildly irritating, especially since I've just done an omni backup of everything and if we wait too long I'll have to do another.

2017-01-25 09:15:11

@Dark, I just finished the kept woman. It was very good but I have to warn you karin slaughter isn't the best I've ever read. Some of the stuff she puts in her books I think is just for shock value. Like for example in one book of her's I read there was a serial killer digging holes in forests and making torture chambers to bring women down and torture them to death. While I believe something like that could happen in real life it seemed a little far fetched to me. The other thing is she spends a lot of time describing how characters feel and their messy personal lives. I love mystery novels and in my opinion that sort of thing slows down the suspense and action. That's crazy you have windows 10. I wouldn't mind having it but I'm attached to windows 7 still!

Well this week has been good. I've been chatting with an old high school friend of mine so that's been a lot of fun. I'm thinking of getting a bass guitar. Luckily it's not much different than a regular guitar the biggest difference is that it has four strings instead of six. I downloaded some bass guitar lessons from bard so I'll see if I can afford a bass.
My dad's doing well but now that he's much better he wants to get back into his old eating habbits. I think he gets upset when we eat something he can't. Although I've tried to be supportive and eat some of his healthy snacks. The funny thing is their actually pretty good. I ate some low salt chips the other day and I didn't really miss the extra salt lol!

Guitarman.

2017-01-25 11:31:24

@Guitarman, I've never managed anything with strings, I just don't tend to have the mind for it I think. Singing on the other hand or certain other instruments fair enough, so I'm always impressed at people who can play any sort of guitar, albeit I'm more a fan of the dulsima than the base big_smile.
my lady is a fan of mystery novels, I'll have to ask her if she's read that one.
There have been real psychos who did have actual torture chambers, albeit probably not as many as in literature. As to the personal life questions, again it depends upon how it's done and how it flows around the rest of the book whether it's too much of a digression or not, plus whether the rest of the book is decent.
I confess I'm not as much a mystery bod myself, I tend to prefer more speculative fiction be that traditional or offbeat fantasy, horror or science fiction of any stripe. Generally i find crime a little too mundane for me to want to read about long term, albeit I'll take the odd recommendation if something sounds good.

I'm reading a short story collection at the moment, "the mad scientists' guide to world domination", all sorts of stories about mad scientists by various authors. Some have been really good, I enjoyed one called "the mad scientists' daughter", all about katharine moreau, Justine Frankenstein, Beertris Rabachelli, MAry Jekkyll and Diana Hyde all living together in a house in victorian london, it finished with an application from a Miss Vanhellsing  who's father had done some astounding things in blood work and who's friend, mrs. johnathan harker had recommended she contact the group about moving in with them as they could understand her rather specialized problem big_smile.

Generally though i confess I've not enjoyed the collection as much as I enjoyed the last random collection I read, which was called The Monster's corner and all about stories from the monster's perspective.

Then again, a lot of the stories delve rather into superhero teretory with villains and super weapons and such and often got a little too stupid for my liking, or tried rather too hard at humour.

One problem I have had is I wanted to write a review for the second interworld novel by Niel Gayman, but I got a bloody awful cold and didn't feel like it, now it's sort of gone out of my head. I think though I'll just go on to the third one and do a review anyway, besides I want to see what happens in the series big_smile.

Actually that was a rather fun trilogy, all about people who walk between different paralell worlds trying to keep the balance of magic and science across the multiverse equal.

Other than that I've still not got my windows 10 machine sorted and sadly we're dashing back to my parents this morning so my lady can have her assessment to rbe registered as blind in the Uk. This  unfortunately does mean a wait on sorting out my new pc, which is something of a pest, particularly since I'm not wanting to start on anything too major since I'll have to backup again.

I have been playing a lot of cosmic rage, but getting a little irritated at lack of ship info, meaning I buy a ship and find it has no weapons or defense systems, and since there's no way to install those I usually have to go and get it blown up. I suppose I could just buy another asteroid hauler and bang on as many  upgrades as possible since at least I know that has shields.

I have however also been returning to crazy party, which has been great, particularly since I've got some of the unlocks working and have also got some more battle cards sorted out nicely, albeit I don't like that when I've tried online battles frequently one person will end up getting pounded on by three others and in the last battle I tried that was me which was a little depressing.
Then again, the boards are cool, and this time I have! remembered to take my sauveguard file with me so when I go back to my parents I can continue with the game.

Anyway, as I've got a long train journey today in the cold and wintry darkness of Northeast England I'd probably better dash.

2017-01-25 12:49:20

@Guitarman I play the ukulele, it's sort of guitarlike. It's a fun little instrument, and what a lot of people don't know about it is that you can play classical music on one- and if you have a decent one the sound can be really pretty. I think I'd like to learn to play the guitar as well but the last time I played one my hands were too small and I couldn't play all the basic chords. Maybe one day I'll find a slightly smaller one and give it a go, haha.

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2017-01-27 19:07:30

@Dino interesting.
My dad always wants to play the ukulele, and there is apparently a ukulele band in nottingham where my parents live though I've not heard them yet. Of course in England the ukulele is very much associated with George Fornby, the comedian from the 1940's who used to play it regularly and do commical songs.
A couple of years ago though i did run across a guy who played and sang a lot of west Indian songs accompanying himself on a ukulele, and that was really! cool, especially since he was also a trained operatic baritone, and to be able to go from shubert and German  Lieder to randomly silly, often quite smutty carribian songs was really! impressive.

For me, my lady and I are back at my parents and hopefully she's going to get herself registered as blind, albeit we've still both had dam awful colds, especially my lady so I've not done anything too astounding as yet.
The site is now at least back to being editable so hopefully I'll have some more database updates out soon.
I'm in a bit of a bind with book reviews though since while the third interworld book is great, it's not really something I can review without having reviewed the second, so I might  just give things a miss for a bit with this series.

Game wise, I've been playing a lot of Crazy party, which is great fun. I've been experimenting with different deck types and also trying to collect gems, since I want to unlock the last board which needs I believe 25 gems, I like the fact that the boards now have their own minigames.
Anyway, hope everyone else is doing okay this cold grim and rather scary winter.

2017-01-28 06:39:04

Hello all,
It's been a while since I last posted in this forum.
I've recently switched to a 13 inch MacBook Pro, mid 2012 model that my sister gave me. My experience setting it up has been a pleasant one. In fact, I'm composing this post on this mac. smile
So far, I'm happy with this new mac, but I really miss Alter Aeon and other audio games that I used to play on windows.
I'm planning to upgrade the OS on my mac, but when I'll upgrade is not known at this time, probably sometime in the months of April or May.

2017-01-31 04:22:18

LOL not much going on here in the Potato State or the Gem State as it's known by the locals, well except me working on the world-famous fantasy novel I've been writing on and off for the past four years. LOL. Well that and trying to record a video audition for the one "Reality" TV show I remotely like, The Voice. Unfortunately I lack the equipment to record the sort of quality video they would want and so the trouble has been finding someone who does possess it. For those who don't know, The Voice is basically a singing competition where the top price is a recording contract and I believe there's cash involved as well. But after being told many times at Karaoke that I should try out I've decided that at the very least it could be a fun experience.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-02-01 18:24:32

Hi everybody and happy 2017! I realize I've not been here much as of late, but my schedule has gotten pretty full. A busy work life combined with chatty neighbors, plus some other stuff. But I'm still here, which is a good thing. So I think I'll mainly talk about my experience thus far on the Macintosh platform. As many of you know, I got my first Mac computer as a Christmas present in 2013 from my parents. It is a MacBook Air, and thus far I've been very happy with it. I don't consider myself much of a power user on here yet, but I have learned how to do a lot of things. I think Apple has done an excellent job with VoiceOver, and it's great that all these access features are built right into the operating system. I also have the latest build of Chromevox Classic on here, and really like it. I haven't yet checked out the beta version of Chromevox Next, but it sounds good. Actually I did for a few minutes, but I couldn't figure anything out. Perhaps support for that beta on the Mac platform is still forthcoming.