2017-01-06 02:16:29

yes, the idea behind this mud and its game play got me since the start. however, due to its lag, whether intentional or not, well put me off. if the time was a bit shorter between uses of skills and travel, i wound return, but until that lag is fixed, i will not play.

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2017-01-06 07:29:05 (edited by mata 2017-01-06 12:17:06)

This thing with people complaining about lag honestly starts to make me feel uncomfortable. As I already told you, if it's really a trouble then the best way is to bbs it. It works better than saying it here. And seeing this so often makes me unable to bring my mind to concentrate on coding more cool stuff to the soundpack. And now just that, those who can actually bear the lag or those who don't really mind it might get pushed off as well.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-01-06 19:07:32

Dude, why should we BBS something for a MUD we're not playing this is stupid. Why should it make you uncomfortable, you're a player, not a GM. It just makes no sense, whatever the issue is, fix it, that's what you're meant to do if you run a MUD. I don't understand why they let this go for so long, unless it is a problem which they see cannot be fixed, or would take too much time, in which case, well, yeah,. You see where I am getting at, something is wrong here and should be dealt with if possible, and should be told to us candidly if not, it won't change my mind, I refuse to play with that much lag going on, it really takes away from the VR.

Do you feel that this is not a valid criticism? Because next time you're on, type something, innocent, like something that you don't expect should take time or give you roundtime, like look in bag or something, sit, stand whatever, see how long it takes to get a response. Anywhere from 300ms to 2 seconds sometimes. It's unbearable, untenable, and quite ridiculous if I'm honest. It doesn't take a lot of bandwidth to play a MUD, so we're back at square 1, their network cannot handle it, or they have a mess of inefficient code somewhere that's gumming up the works.

So where have I gone wrong, as a prospective player, I have the right to criticize, of course ,they have the right to tell me to fuck off. I feel if this were an audio game in question here, that the tolerance would be nil. Say you went on red spot or something and it took you 500ms to take a step, change out weapons, etc. Anyway, would people tolerate that, maybe, or maybe they would just complain. I feel like I have a valid complaint, but I'm not gonna go onto their BBS because I haven't played the game in forever, just hop on and check it every once in a while, hoping they'd fixed it.

Really I can't even see how the staff deal with it, they should want to fix it for everyone. Now again, maybe they feel its something inherently unfixable, who knows.

Every MUD I go on, no matter how good I do have criticisms, and I generally let them know, now in some cases its just nitpicking, and there are some really good ones out there, but there is always something you wish would work better, etc. I feel Clok is this way, it wants to be a good MUD, but with the amount of lag, I can't deal with it, I would happily come on and play if that were reduced to something bearable. I would enjoy it, it has a lot going for itself. And I don't want to negate or put them down for their hard work, I know that goes down hard, and for me, who has only messed with a few things, and couldn't code to save his life, I really don't have the qualification to say one way or another if this is something that can be dealt with. But I'd want to know  one way or another, can it, can it not be. Why create this magnificent world, all these activities, try to build a community, a player base around it, when the system is flubbing up and there is so much lag involved. This isn't dial up days, this is the time of broadband, and if you want to compete in today's space, then your infrastructure should be able to accommodate a decent amount of people and still run smoothly. And again, if its a financial thing, open up to the player base and just be straight with them and say that you can't do anything at the moment, but if we got some donations, if a few peopled kicked in $5 a month for hosting, etc. Shit I'd kick in for it, if it was gonna fix the problem, because it would be a return of investment, because of getting many hours of enjoyment in playing when the system wasn't fighting you every step of the way.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-06 20:35:38

As I previously said, shouting it out here is not going to make it better in any ways, rather than drawing those who want to play and can bear the lag away from it. I, for one, can whole heartedly say the lag is no trouble for me at all. but then again, it's just me. You can't expect everyone to feel the same issue, though. Just saying.

Jirato has an account here, but he sure has quite a busy life, as so others, so they can't come on and check. If you wanna play it, and you encounter this this this kind of problem but refuse to shout it out at the right place then what's the point? No one can guarantee if existing players are gonna post it for you when you yourself encountered the problem, not them. Or may be them too but they don't give a crap.

And for that, I'll see everyone's response again within three days, and if it's positive enough to give a comment then I'll sure bbs the problem. You guys feel free to thumbs me up. But if I find only one person shouting then may be I can't.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-01-06 20:38:41

Oh its not like its an esoteric issue that only rarely occurs, c'mon the whole system is bogged down, not llike they ain't aware. What's putting it on their BBS gonna do. Nah, I'll move onto other MUDs.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-08 17:10:20

I am usually playing this game wile listening music and stuff, so yeah, the lag isn't annoy me so mutch.
I still looking forward for the soundpack, keep up your great work, mata.

2017-01-09 01:51:17

Thank you a lot. The last couple days kinda pushed me off working on the pack a little, +I just startedmy Frandum soundpack project. But I'm usually on clok from time to time. I never go anywhere.:p

2017-01-09 03:19:10

I'm with Ironcross on this one. I tried this mud, and couldn't stand the lag, either. This time, though, I'm keeping my mouth shut to the staff since, on Lament, I expressed my opinions about the mud, and they banned me for it. Lol.

Spill chuck you spots!

2017-01-09 05:20:06

Right, its unplayable, I really can't wrap my head around how people deal with it. I also can't wrap my head around how the staff there can set the bar so low. Like I said, I know a lot of hard work went into it, but when you let long standing issues go on like that without trying to fix them, without acknowledging them, you're essentially saying well, we don't give a shit, it is the way it is, take or leave. Well, I'll leave it if that's the kind of image they want to put out. the only reason I brought it up is because its disappointing to me that essentially a good game is under all that system crap that's going on over there, and its a shame that we all can't experience it for what it should be.

Candidness is what I respect, that if its something truly problematic to fix, or impossible, you come out and say it. I don't like cloak and dagger tactics when it comes to dealing with your player base, just ignoring an issue that way.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-09 07:57:18

OK, I'm going to bbs it right now and see how it goes.

2017-01-09 08:08:39

Check it out and give me a bbs rate guys, if you experience the same and really want it fixed. I hope this will bring Clok to the better.

http://bbs.contrarium.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6270

2017-01-09 18:19:26 (edited by blindndangerous 2017-01-09 18:24:51)

Oh!  You're artus!  Wow, I didn't know that, that's neat.  Or maybe I did and just forgot.  Anyway, added my post to the bbs topic.

2017-01-09 18:30:21

I said it many times. May be you forgot.:p I also have two crazy alts but I don't play them much compared to artus. i'm usually on artus.:)

2017-01-09 22:02:46

I put my two cents in there, not that I expect anything, if they were willing or able, it'd have been done by now.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-09 22:36:45

it could be that they don't think it's so severe. no one even complained about it before tbh.

2017-01-10 02:04:34

Yeah I honestly can't understand that

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-10 02:21:48

I don't think that's right, people have complained long before you guys came around to play.  It's just something that's always been there.

2017-01-10 08:26:20

May be. But I honestly never heard of anyone complaining before.

2017-01-11 17:43:06

So nearly 2 days with no meaningful responses from staff, wonderful! Just what I thought would happen. Also, I am trying to get into the game and ignore everything about the lag and just try to have fun with it, I see a lot of help files with two sentences, how intuitive, especially when the system refuses to help you, by just echoing back do what? all the time. So, if you're foraging for instance, you cannot do put all in backpack, or put berries in backpack... No, that would be too out of the box. You first have to put one thing in then the other, for instance I put in thornberries then emberberries. In Lament and Geas, I can put all in backpack, or in lament I could do put berries in backpack and it would work. My god the system expects you to do something one way and if its not done that way, nothing. There is no extra aliasing to help you, some of the help files are one or two liners when they could be expanded upon. It's so frustrating! I just want to scream at someone, fix yer shit! They really got some interesting stuff going on here but you can't enjoy that if you're battling with the system just to get around. It's not like I'm new to MUDding either, I've been into it since 2013, and been on probably 50 or more MUDs. Lament has way more expansive crafting, staff that actually want to help, a world that's open for you to explore, that is huge, and you can go anywhere, another words, in any direction. You're more likely to actually meet people, you don't have to fight with the system to do everything you want to do, in fact, I've had to bug report because sometimes there are too many ways to  do something and it interferes, for instance, referring to a wicker backpack as a basket, when you have baskets near you, etc. And they'll be straight with you about it, saying OK, thanks for the post, but we have it this way for a reason, and they'll usually enumerate those reasons, or hey, thanks for the post and we've fixed it or something in between. Clok is like battling your way through a dense jungle with a dull blade, you hack and hack away at underbrush, tree limbs, vines, you're puffing and sweating and my god you find a clearing that's 5x5 across. So yeah, not that there's no enjoyment to be had, but by god you gotta fight for it. The system is its own worst enemy there. Ugh, man I want to like you, Clok, but please just let me play you and stop fighting me.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-11 22:29:37

The gms are admittedly not quite active these days. I honestly prefer Clok inventory to stay that way though. You sure have two hands, and it's rather realistic that way. I'm still trying to keep the report up and wait for a respond. But please, if you wanna rage, respect those who whole heartedly love Clok. I'm sure there are a few on or off the forum.

2017-01-11 23:00:22

The two hands thing is fine, what is stupid is how you can't put all in backpack, which would empty your hands of whatever you're holding into your backpack or put a category of items. I just don't see how people deal with it, fighting with not helpful help files, extreme lag, a parser that is... well sub par, and staff who don't give a crap one way or another.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-12 02:38:37

Helpfiles are written by players for the most part, and not many are on the move lately. May be I should submit myself as one and do so already, lol.
And in fact, if they're not busy, from my experience as a 2 years full time player, I can say Clok gms are one of the best in terms of helping. But the sucky thing is they seem to be extremely busy at time. This explains why the last octum fest didn't turn out as it should have, which if you ask me, it's fine. May be I just take things too easy.

2017-01-12 05:39:58

busy? If you are a GM on a MUD you are supposed to be there lol. I have been on MUDs where there are no staff around when you need them, believe me. But from this, I just idk man I just ugh!This is what I feel like is happening, they are losing interest, getting bored of it. They need an infusion of fresh blood, people who can be PR people like deal with players and their issues, and coders who can bring a lot more efficient code to the table. I don't know about builders yet because I haven't got that far. It seems when you leave into the wilderness everything you do makes you hungry at such an incredible rate that you got to be careful, like ration yourself on activities. Like really? OK I find that a little beyond what would be classified as realism. Now sure if you are chopping trees and such, then yeah you're gonna get fatigued and eventually, since you're burning calories, you'll get hungry quicker than you would had you been sitting in front of the fire, drinking beer. Just walking around saps your strength, and its like frrhrhhrrhrgerlerhrhrrlerhrhrhrlrhrlrhrlrhrhrherhrerherherhrhrhrhrhr?

Imagine you always wanted a Ferrari, and you found one sitting along the road saying free. It looks in mint condition, its gleaming in the sun in that Ferrari red that catches your eye, you see the prancing pony emblem, the Perelli tires look fully inflated and in good shape, but when you open the door, oh my god do things change. The first thing you notice is the torn seat, you immediately spot the foam in the huge rips. You sit down anyway, and you look around, the windshield has a spiderweb crack in it, the leather on the steering wheel is abraded, ripped and torn in places. You see fast food cups and bags and trash of all sorts on the floor. Oh, but its a Ferrari, this can all be fixed, right? You spot the key hanging out of the ignition, and the dread you were feeling recedes into a back corner of your mind, and you get that excitement again, that anticipation. You check the gearbox is out of gear and you turn the key on so that the power is now on. A few lights light up, you hear a sickly sound coming from somewhere that sounds like the door bonger has a hangover, but hey its a Ferrari right? You now feel a mix of emotions, that cold dread is creeping back in, but you just got to know so you put your foot on the brake, which goes right to the floor with little resistance, and turn the key. Nothing happens, except the door bonger sounds a little more hung over. You try again and wait, hang on a sec, something's happening, after a few moments, the engine gives a pathetically weak lurch and coughs and splutters into life. Now you don't know how to feel, you have a knot in your stomach, but a chill in your spine, you look around and spot more chaos, a broken vanity mirror that the light in it doesn't work, the vent grill on one of the A/C vents is gone, the glovebox is hanging open, and the latch is missing. The engine isn't sounding too happy either, its producing an odd shudder, making the whole car bounce back and forth. You open the hood and step out, as you close the door you notice the odd sound it makes as it latches. As you release the latch on the hood and proceed to lift it, you are surprised when it comes off in your hand. You set it down, the dread and gloom back again, making your stomach feel like you ate a bag of poprocks. You look in the engine bay and see a piece of cardboard sitting over the battery, you decide to leave it there. Next, you look over the engine, but immaculate it is not. It's in such disgusting condition, you almost want to cry. You sigh most discontentedly as you replace the hood, you open the door to shut the engine off but hey, it gives a last feeble cough and dies away, you turn off the key, close the door and get the hell out of there. This is what I feel like is going on, no one gives a crap over there that is staff, management who should. If they did this would not be happening, there is no passion for their work, I grant you there was at one point in time, but it doesn't seem like that is the case any longer. I'm just frustrated because there's like some diamonds in the rough, to use the cliche.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-12 10:05:55

The only lead coder who have all source code for Clok and maintain the system is Jirato, and  noctere probably has some parts. As I said, I'm trying my best to make it better for you guys and for the sake of Clok as much as a player can do. I respect all sorts of comment no matter if it's positive or negative, and the best way right now is to do whatever to get it to the gms as soon as possible. They are usually around when there are events and all. But to make sure, after three days if the bbs is still quiet, I'll send a clokmail to them.

2017-01-12 13:58:18

Ironcross, if this is how you feel, then go play those muds and move on, because obviously, you're getting frustrated, and it's going nowhere for you.