2017-01-05 11:35:05

My enthusiasm for Linux is on the upswing again, particularly as regards GNOME 3.

Is anyone using it, full-time, or at least for a significant part of their workflow? Which distro? Has anyone had success with Fedora, which seems to be the cornerstone of GNOME these days?

I don't expect much, but GNOME 3 seems to me to be pretty clearly where all the accessibility is. LibreOffice and Firefox notwithstanding, natch, and that's just too bad because realistically both are very important, but I think we all agree the state of those is pretty poor.

Your thoughts and observations welcome.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-01-05 12:18:29

I like the gnome they had in vinux and sonar. And for a main stream computer desktop running gnome is a bit like windows 7. I do love that all access are in menus at the top of the screen. I think that is more stream lined than the desktop of windows 10. When windows 10 came out I had considered swiching to Linux. Wile I might not be able to play audio games sad I would know that my system was up to date.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2017-01-05 20:46:30

Well, I have never tried it. I prefer to use the terminal when using Linux, especially after having some really odd issues with Orca and Ubuntu a lot of years ago, where Orca just crashed, and I couldn't start the screenreader again. I don't have much experience with Linux other than the terminal, which I'm starting to learn, but I'm following this topic with a lot of interest.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-01-05 22:17:28

I like gnome 3. Yeah its the best, Unity just has latency issues when being used with orca. Mate has other issue like stuff in windows not being spoken in favor of the stuff behind said window and things of that nature. Accessibility is not where it should be though imo. For instance, there is no interruptability with orca, if you want it to shut up, you need to hit escape to flush its buffer. also I'm not in favor of no direct speech like we have for NVDA, in other words, voices configured to communicate with nvda directly, not through SAPI, or in our case, speech dispatcher.

I'd also like for us to have speakup for more distros, like to get a hold of the kernel modules, if not learn how to patch it into the kernel myself

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-06 09:48:30

Okay. What makes Gnome 3 better than Ubuntu?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2017-01-06 17:45:12

GNOME 3 is a desktop environment. Ubuntu is a distribution, which comes with their own proprietary "Unity".

eSpeak through speech-dispatcher is all right however the fact that Firefox is nearly unusable makes up for that ... you still need ChromeVox, unless anyone has any special tricks. And anyway, I need braille just to get the levels right, and set up and use speakup in the console (which I am using a lot, because it's still easier than doing it in GUI).

I'm afraid this is just going to end with disappointment, again ... better to use textmode, full time.

No surprises, really ...

Just myself, as usual.

2017-01-07 07:54:19

I don't see how Firefox under Linux is "nearly unusable." I use it all the time. True, it has its issues, sometimes Orca will freeze up on large sites like Amazon or Facebook, but in my experience, it's far from unusable.
Also, it's absolutely false that Orca can't be interrupted. The control key works the way it does everywhere else, to silence speech. Since I got ESpeak-NG working, Orca starts speaking the instant I press a key. Before, there was a very slight delay, so I'm happy about that.

2017-01-07 09:57:07

So, you could install Gnome 3 on Ubuntu if you wish? Sounds like I should check this out in the future.

Best regards SLJ.

2017-01-07 19:22:45

Yes, if you really wanted you could use a GNOME desktop under Ubuntu. I'd give a look to Fedora however as that's natively GNOME. That's what I'm going to try next, although it's been giving me trouble in virtual machines.

Firefox is still laggy for me. Your right, it seems worse on heavy sites, but regardless it's nothing like as snappy on Windows under NVDA. I don't see how anybody could live with this, but maybe my expectations are unreasonable and/or I'm spoiled. smile

As ever, I will continue to hope for the best going forward. It is still too much work for me though, I think, for now. And that's from someone who doesn't have a problem using debootstrap to get myself going, if need be.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-01-07 20:58:31

I notice that on larger sites, it can take 5-15 seconds before Orca is ready to read the page, or whatever, and also the occasional freezes, but other than that, I really haven't experienced any issues. For me, reading and manipulating the page is as snappy as navigating in any other application.

2017-01-08 10:14:33

Well I'll play with it some more, but for me the lag is quite noticeable. Like, quarter-of-a-second noticeable. I'm not sure I can work with that. It feels worse than Yosemite, even.

Anyway, I'm going to try doing a proper installation with Fedora, if I possibly can. I'd like to get a full-functional, untarnished GNOME experience, if I can. I might as well give it my best shot here.

Just myself, as usual.