2012-08-25 07:19:47 (edited by Omar Alvarado 2012-08-25 07:20:39)

Edit: File is still uploading, give it about ten minutes and try again.
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, hold on a sec please.
So in basic terms, I have created what it would sound like if you went through the complete MRI scan.
So, just turn your speakers way down, and download this here file:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23324710/MRICompleteScan.mp3
It's from start to finish, the patient is wheeled into the MRI room, lays on the bed, lifted into the reach of the camera, the bed slides into the machine, MRI tech closes door to the MRI room, goes into control room, scan starts.
This is public domain because several of the sounds were extracted from videos, and no you may not use this in a commercial project.
MRI, if I remember correctly, stands for magnetic radio imaging. This allows a more thorough view of a certain part of your body your doctor wants to see. this is useful for stuff like finding brain cancer, tumors, etc.
One lies on a bed that is arranged with a large camera, that houses a rather large tube, or tunnel.
Your body doesn't go all the way in, just enough for the radiologist to see and focus the camera in on what your doctor has ordered to view.
They are very loud, and kind of predictable.
Often times I get asked, "what is an MRI like?" By my friends, and I tell them, very loud and mostly closed in!
So, if you have never had one or due to have one in the next few days/weeks/months/hours/minutes/seconds/milliseconds etc, here is sort of what to expect.
Remember, turn! Your! Speakers! Down!
Let me know what you guys think.
Also, your free to ask me any questions about this type of thing.

2012-08-25 08:15:24

looks good. downloading it now

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-08-25 09:20:30

I do not particularly like how the slashes are becoming increasingly popular. But interesting, I will check this out!

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2012-08-26 00:02:34

Sorry, I'm a little lost 112, can you explain yourself a bit?

2012-08-26 00:43:46

Oh, you know how the slashes are being used instead of and or or.
And I just listened to the file, but I kind of follow it. I hear some soft machine whirring in the very begining, but no one walking or anything. Then of course, I hear the actual machine working, sometimes it sounds like a loud whirring deep fondamental sound with an overtone, or somteimes it sounds like a whirring with a wa wa sound to it.
Did you show the many different possibilities of the file? It is about forty minutes long.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2012-08-26 04:22:22

No, it's just the average sound of the scan one might hear.
Believe me, that isn't as long as it can be. I have had one that lasted about two hours!
Yup, two hours.

2012-08-26 09:11:56

So you were inside the machine for two hours?
Say I wondered if there is a way to build an MRI machine using haptic technology, so you can record the feel of it. Then you can have a three-sense recording, one of vision, one of sound, and one of feel.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2012-08-26 22:33:35

Guys, just to make things clear, this isn't my session.
I took recordings from youtube and put them in this recording.
And yes, 112, I was in there for 2 hours! I eventually fell asleep though.

2012-08-27 01:51:56

What would have happened if you took in your digital recording device and recorded it that way? I wonder what would have happened. Of course, you could have edited it too.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2012-08-27 04:04:58

It would have short circuited.
This is because of the high magnetic fields that the machine gives off.
That is also why your not allowed to take anything metal with you when you go into the room.
My mom actually did that and... That didn't end too well.
She had a pair of earrings on and you can guess what started happening...
Actually no, it was a few bracelets.

2012-08-27 04:19:54

No, I cannot say I can guess what happen. Did the whole machine just stop working like a microwave would?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2012-09-01 08:49:35

heh, how would one know which body part is being scanned, or there were some machines which repeated themselves a few times during the session.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-09-01 21:13:34

No, it is supposed to be a full MRI scan. Like he said, it is about forty minutes, because it is simulating what one would really sound like. Maybe he was showing the many different possibilities of what each machine might sound like.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-11-06 11:26:03

Hi again, I'm bringing this topic to the forefront because I am trying to find sounds, and basically do it the same Omar was doing, by downloading and extracting YouTube videos.
I'm trying to find sounds of X-ray machines, CAT scanners, PET and SPET Scannrs, EEG's, HEG's and MEG's, and the like. This might be a lot, but I was wondering if there are sounds like that. Most sounds I find are short and hard to find, the really good ones I mean.
Since these sounds will be public domain, and as long as no one has any intention of selling them, I think we should be fine. The reason I'm saying this is because I'm thinking about putting together a speech production about a medical facility and I would need these souns for whatever the procedures they were carrying out. I already have a few of what I need, but I'm still looking for more.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-11-06 11:31:39

Hi,
Try to look for the sound on www.freesound.org
hth
socheat

2014-11-06 11:42:03

Thanks for that suggestion! O:-) I never tried this web site before. I know I asked this uestion beore, but I forgot the answer to it. Are royalty-free sounds basically free sounds obtained after you purchased a membership or something? I think that's how someone put it.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-11-06 11:56:12

You're welcome.

2016-12-28 09:31:35

Hello again!
So I had my first MRI scan early this morning!
The MRI area is comprised of three rooms. Magnet room, quipment room, and control room. In the background, you might hear a hump, wump, hump, wump, hump, wump, etc. If you were closer, you might even hear a wuncha huncha wuncha huncha wuncha huncha wuncha huncha. That is the helium pump, which keeps the coils inside the giant tube superconductive. This is because a massive current is needed to create a strong magnetic field. Unfortunately, such currents would be resisted by regular wires, causing them to heat up, but an interesting and rather ingenius solution was found. Liquid helium, which is known for not being flammable, was chosen for this. Once the current is flowing, it will continue flowing forever or until the magnet is quenched.
Anyway, the idea is that you put your stuff in a locker, which is about fifteen to thirty feet away from the magnet room. You open one door, then walk through another hallway before walking into the magnet room. It's door felt like one you'd find in a soundproof booth. It was the size of a small examining room. the table was about a foot above the ground. It sort of feels like one of those changing tables for infants, except that the arch wasn't as deep. I put my head on the headrest, and then I was elevated to around five feet above the ground. I couldn't feel the tube until he slid me in almost all of the way in. It felt like the bell of a French horn, only bigger.
I've been asking around to see what cameras and other recording equipment are safe to use in an MRI. I was sort of shocked when my technologist brought my cane into the magnet room. I asked how he could bring it in if it was metal. He said that it was simply aluminium, which meant that it was not ferrous.
Also, I told my tech that I was severely hard of hearing, so once I took out my hearing aids, I would not be able to hear him at all, even with the speakers turned up. So I wondered why they couldn't utilise the headset the way they do in a plane or helicopter.
Since I brought all of my belongings and put them in a locker, I took that opportunity to record with my iPhone. After I came back, I amplified the volume, and if you listen carefully, you can barely make heard the sounds it makes.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2016-12-28 21:41:39

I never want one, my dad had several, and the last one freaked him out, and he is not like that at all, does not suffer from panic or anxiety or anything like that, like really stable solid person. And he told me that he had to think of younger times when he was riding dirtbikes and stuff or he would have had to press the button to stop it. And also it takes long time and you have to lie still, man I can't lie still I am always moving, if only fractionally, I can't just lie there like a brick, I would freak the fuck out man I couldn't do it, I'd be like yeah just let whatever you thing I have kill me fuck this scanner. Also I don't want surgery, I'm convinced I wouldn't survive it. I, do, not, like, doctors. I, do, not, like, medical, procedures.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-12-28 21:56:09

Hi.
Oh god, don't remind me of MRI, I had to do this ones because of something happening with my eyes, don't actually know what was it in general, but man, that thing sounds so freakin strange.
You get wealed in there and you think that this isn't a machine, it more sounds like someone turned a speaker with techno music up to the max xD, it seriously sounded like that.
But well, as long as I don't need to do that again, I gladly give this to someone else.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-12-29 15:27:39

I will be going over to the main hospital to pick up the CD of es. Then I will have someone help me convert the Dicom DCM files into STL or OBJ formats that can be used to print a 3D model of my scan.
That could be really useful.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2016-12-29 20:21:22

Hi When I try to download it I get thisError (403)
It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in.

2016-12-30 04:30:18 (edited by Jeffb 2016-12-30 04:45:39)

As someone that got more MRI's than anyone should ever have to get and has grown a hatred of. I will not be listening to this. Why would you even make this? Also not everyone that gets a MRI is wheeled in but maybe after you fight me to get me in one my legs might be broken. In kindergarten I had to practice at home to do them without being sedated. It was offal and I wish I never had to get a MRI again in my life! Sadly I will have to get another one in 3 years or so. I wish I could get so high that I forgot my name before being shoved into that screaming, mettle less, banshee, wailing turd! This thing even fucking breathes. So in the scilence between the schull shattering the creepyness of it all lingers as the machine breathes and surrounds you in darkness. It's also a shame with the advancements in technology that the stupid crappy cameras can't be quieter. Instead they have to drill into your brain with the force of a billion ton jackhammers. The freaking IV always stings and no matter how many times you say my vanes roll call the IV team please! They don't and 6 sticks later they finally do. And it's cold, and you’re stiff, and sore, and the music is too low, and you have a cold sweat and you want out! You want to scream, you want to kick but you can't because if you move its God only knows how much longer in that God offal machine. Offal! I despise MRI's. I’m sorry but like dubstep this isn’t art it's agony. When I was 17 I cried because there was no music I wanted to be put under but of corse I didn't fast. And yeah I was used to there being told there was no music before story of my life... But this time they said there was music but being at a children's hospatal my head was to big. So I got something to make me sleepy and they wake me up half way through. I was so pissed off! Now at least I get music but this past time they gave me Pandora. Which when you are stuck and can't control the music it's offel. I was so fustrated especially when there were comercials. The MRI machine is a creepy evil trap that screezes you tight on this iron hard cold table with only a sheet thin blanket if you can call it that to keep you warm. I don't know how many I have had in my life time probably somewhere around 30 but it feels like 50 and I'm only 25. Every upgrade they make to those shitty ass machines only makes them louder and only pisses me off more and more. And yet it is the only way to look at the shit filled brain tumor in my head that has been shrunkin and dead for 22 years. That I can't get out because of where it is, and how it spread out like venum in my head. And mean while the MRI machine is still pounding like a thousand jack hammers. I didn't even listen to that recording and the thought of it is making me go mad.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-12-30 07:43:31

I was able to give the tech in the MRI place my iPhone and I had them press play on the audio book I was reading before, and I was able to listen to that. so, if you have any music on your phone, or really anything that can be connected to their system via a patch cable, you can really listen to anything you want. You don't have to listen to what they have there. It was my first and only MRI. Fore me, it wasn't so bad.

2016-12-30 13:02:33

the reason why you can't bring any device with you is because the magnetic field is too big and it will completely wipe out all data on the device, even the OS. I've never had a MRI but I would like to try one just for the experience.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King