2016-12-23 09:04:52

Hi all,
I've been looking all over Google for tools on Windows, Mac and Linux, and can't seem to find anything I can work with. Editors with tons of unlabeled controls, others with custom controls, others with weird, seemingly inescapable table-looking things that don't read anything but "cell..." I have this sample I want to make an instrument out of. If the note is sustained, the instrument should play the middle of the sample (audio samples 12000-15000) until the note is released, at which point it should continue with the rest of the sample. This sample is maybe 100-200 cents above e4. How can I make a .sf2 out of this? Sf2 because I don't think Fluidsynth supports other formats. Do you guys have preferred OSes/editors that work?
Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2016-12-23 21:08:03

I need one as well.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2016-12-23 23:43:50

So far I've tried Viena for Windows, (unlabeled/custom controls) Polyphone for Windows/Mac/Linux (written in QT, weird controls/inescapable tables on Windows, unusable controls everywhere else) and Polyfontics for Mac OS (blank controls and a quit button). Any other ideas? I know blind people have made soundfonts! Or did people use their favorite hex editor and a copy of the soundfont/RIFF specs? LOL

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2016-12-26 07:13:22 (edited by musicalman 2017-04-16 12:55:07)

What I use to make soundfonts is a command line program called Sf2Comp. It works by using wav files for samples and a text file to store the sf2 instructions. It's not meant for creating soundfonts, only editing them, but it is possible to create very good fonts with it if you have the patience and perseverance. You will also need sfedt32.dll to compile the soundfonts. SF2comp is a 32 bit program for Windows so it works from XP all the way up to Win 10 64 bit, which I've tested all the way through.
Other blind people who made sound fonts did so at a time when Creative cards were common, and at a time when Creative's Vienna soundfont editor was common. You can probably still find a copy of Vienna online as it iirc is free, but unless you have a Creative card, you probably won't be able to use it unfortunately. I did have a creative soundcard at one point, and so I tried to use it. However I lost patience because I didn't know what I was doing back then. I suspect I could do better with it now. In any case, I'm not sure what its interface was like so I can't comment on its accessibility.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-04-10 05:14:44

So small update. I tried sf2comp on a soundfont, and couldn't quite make sense of some of its numbers. Out of curiosity, I tried opening that soundfont in Polyfone, and exporting it to .sfz. That was a lot easier to understand, so I very heavily modified one of the .sfz files to do what I want (my sample included) and ran that back through Polyfone. The resulting sf2 doesn't loop correctly (fluidsynth plays the whole sample once, then loops the latter half until the note is released). For fun, I threw the sf2 at sf2comp. It faired worse than Fluidsynth, crashing at the mere mention of my file.
Would someone more experienced with these formats be able to look at this and tell me what I broke? I'd like to learn, and IDK what I'm missing.
Thanks!

2017-04-10 21:51:20

I didn't even know Polyphone was accessible. Last time I tried it, I couldn't do anything with it. Now I want to give it another look.
The numbers and parameter names in sf2comp are a bit confusing, and to be honest a lot of them you don't even need, they're just there because when you decompile an existing sf2, those values are declared in it afaik. Most of the work I do in SF2comp is done by ear by testing stuff in Bassmidi. Tedious, but it works.
I'd like to help you further but don't know how I would at this point. If you want we can resume this in PM or Skype or something else or we can continue in this topic. Up to you.

2017-04-13 00:28:01

I know how to use the Polyphone, I made a SoundFont made up of samples that last less than 1 second.
I did not need a tutorial to learn how to use it, I learned on my own to use it simply by experimenting; I'm very curious too. Polyphone is also available in Spanish.
  I recently learned how to correctly insert a loop into a sample, then link that sample to an instrument and finally enable the loop to the instrument that is linked to the looped sample.
I have been doing SoundFonts since last year, I was passing the time and I learned what was the range of notes, effects parameters, etc.
What I need to know, is the so-called Modulator, I do not know what utility it has, maybe it is related to the sound cards that supported SoundFonts.
  Finally I'm going to share a SoundFont I made a few weeks ago. I warn you that this SoundFont I activated the parameter Exclusive class, so they will not sound several notes at a time, except if they make a chord.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/pcfhrb4rl … thesis.sf2

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2017-04-14 18:33:00

could someone make me a tutorial on how to use pollyphone?

-id software, 1995

2017-04-14 21:05:44 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-04-15 20:36:40)

If I could speak English clearly I would do one, but I think that several people know how to use Polyphone, maybe they know concepts that I still do not understand.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-04-15 13:07:29 (edited by musicalman 2017-04-15 13:08:13)

DEKYO-Nec2608
This font is really cool, especially for your first-made! Now you're making me want to try Polyphone again, and show off some of my stuff, but most of it isn't really ready to show.
Modulators are a little tricky to explain as the SF2 format IIRC has several types, some of which a lot of players don't support. I'll look into it.
As for a Polyphone tutorial, I'll consider making one once I figure out how it works, but I can't promise it.

2017-04-16 01:31:56

Raygrote, thank you very much! It is not the first SF I make.

I'm running out of ideas to continue the SoundFont. I do not know what samples to use, but then I will continue to continue when I have ideas.
  The mistake I make is that when I make a SoundFont, I forget the order of the list of GM instruments.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-04-16 12:51:48 (edited by musicalman 2017-04-16 12:55:28)

I almost have the GM instrument order memorized. IF you look up GM on Wikipedia, I believe you'll get a full list. If not, I'm sure you can easily find one on Google. qWS also has a GM instrument list.

I've tried Polyphone, and have started to figure some stuff out.
It's funny you mention trying to make a Gm font with small samples like this. I've been working on a similar thing for a while. I'm using more samples than you, but I have about 32 presets made so far and the font is only 70 K. So, it's working out. I'm also combining waves in the instruments, like you might do with adative synthesis. Even drums are being done that way. When it's closer to being done, I will share it.

2017-04-16 21:13:01 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-04-16 21:13:54)

Memorizing GM instruments is going to take some time, but it is not impossible for me.
  I would like to play with your SoundFont, I am curious about the samples that you have used to make it.

Maybe with loop technique I can make a SoundFont of the VRC6 or something similar, since I have not known a SoundFont of that type. I just have to learn to handle some things before I make it.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-04-17 13:49:16

Looping samples is fun but hard work sometimes. I've gotten pretty good at it, but I know I could be better. For me, it's a combination of math and very careful listening, sometimes to multiple tones at once to make sure everything is tuned properly. I can't really explain it now in this post, but it's something you can definitely get better at with time and practice, and perhaps I could give you some tips later. I also learned a lot trying to loop samples for the Snes, but that of course is a little different.
Speaking of the VRC6, I did make a Nes sound font at one point. For a time, it was available in my Dropbox, but my public links have been suspended, and I feel the font could be improved. So I am, one of these days, going to sit down and redo it and then host it on my Google Drive which should hopefully be more stable, and then you can have a look at it.

2017-04-18 06:29:46

Hey Ray? Don't forget, *sniff sniff* wce.sf2. LOL.

2017-04-18 06:31:21 (edited by Kara_Louise 2017-04-18 06:32:12)

Sorry for the double post, but, for the record, I am *nooooooooooooooot* Kara_Louise. I am "slender". tongue

2017-04-18 15:48:51

Why of course. Not. WE all know I never finish what I sta tongue

2017-04-18 18:09:40

where to find wce.sf2? I could only find the original dls version

-id software, 1995

2017-04-18 19:23:48 (edited by Slender 2017-04-18 19:25:00)

You finish it Ray? You finish it now! I demand this! Finish what you start, little man! tongue @ammericandad2005, it's an incomplete simulation of the Windows CE synth, made by, *sniff sniff* that ole Ray Dog over there.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-04-18 21:10:55

does anyone know where I can find it?

-id software, 1995

2017-04-19 01:10:32

ammericandad2005, I sent you a link to the soundfont in a pm.
Let me know when you get it so I can take it off my sight.

2017-04-19 05:39:40

What is Windows CE? I do not know what it is, besides I've never heard the sound bank coming in it.
I would be grateful if you would explain in a few words what it is, and a sample sound bank.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-04-19 06:46:28

Windows CE is a specialized, mobile operating system by Microsoft, made for embedded devices. It is used in many notetakers, such as the BrailleNote Apex. Early versions of it shipped with the ability to play midi files, and the synth used is very unique, and is highly sought after by some. You can find a sample of it here, and more information about it in this topic

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!