2016-11-28 03:14:37

So at this point, I'm starting to have windows permissions errors, as I've mentioned a few times here before. Files don't get written when they should and I'm told that I can't access certain places because I don't have administrative rights which is wrong... because I have the only account on this computer and am the computer administrator. I also get the occasional blue screen error, especially when I restart my computer, which blue screens, reboots and works fine again.
all of these are leading me to ask, is there an accesible way of diagnosing system problems and repairing them? I know it's not hardware because I just replaced my harddrives awhile ago, and they're all relatively new ones. CHKDSK in command prompt also doesn't show any problems. so anyone assistance at all would be appreciated. thanks!

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-11-28 23:59:14

Nobody at all?

2016-11-29 01:40:41

Have you tried windows talking P E?

2016-11-29 03:50:32

Talking Windows Preinstallation does have command prompt, and on the gui side there's startup repair, though not sure how much startup repair will do. You can, however, access every file on the system. The security layer in windows is more than meets the eye, however. Just because you're the system admin, doesn't necessarily mean you have full rain over every single file on your system, while it's running. This is to insure a virus can't transparently delete the c:\windows folder, but also is a pain when you need to change files. My advice, either talking windows preinstallation, or a live linux cd. Both allow you full control of the filesystem preboot.

2016-11-29 09:16:12

I have the talking windows PE disc, but am not sure how to get that to work since if I'm not wrong, you need sighted help to get the copy of windows to boot in the first place from the disc? I don't know what files are the problem, I just want a quick way to check and repair automatically anything that the system can check. Though I think the best thing to do would be just to back up my data and programs, then do a clean install.

2016-12-01 22:07:43

hi assault_freak, i'll need a bit more info about when you getting those permition errors. but the fact you saying you getting blue screens is not good.
i can gladly try and help you to run some repairs. so if you shall be patient  and try to give me as much info as possible, we mite make some headway. personallly i am always curious when a system does this, as to why this is. ther's always usually a good reason why.
so hopefully we can try to get to the bottom of it.
some clarification needed.
1. when you say you trying to write files and it denies you this. wear are u trying to rite them?
2. when it bluescreens, when does it happen, whent you are busy with what action? or is it randum?
3. is user account control disabled?
i'll be glad to help ya, and perhaps we can save ya from reinstalling.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2016-12-02 03:42:44

This happens in most directories, vital or ones or now. Program files, documents, music, whatever... but most often in program files. Either when I'm updating a program, or when I uninstal a program and then try and delete the directory. I get file in use errors, or some programs fail to install certain necessary files they need to run, or updates fail because writing errors happen. I know it's not a hardware issue, however. UAC is disabled, and blue screens happen pretty randomly.

2016-12-02 08:10:44

And now to make it worse, my windows update won't let me check for updates for some reason. It just hangs at 0. And my Windows says it's activated... but granted, there could be an issue there, as well.

2016-12-02 08:37:57

Have you run scans with your antivirus program (or programs) recently?

Also, you can boot into a talking PE without sighted help. Depending on the system configuration, the ease with which you can do this might fluctuate, but, as a general rule, desktops are much less prone to giving you a hard time when it comes to booting from a CD or DVD. As far as booting from a USB drive is concerned, I can't really say, because I personally find that a hell of a lot more trouble than it's worth, mainly because I don't have reliable sighted people around who can help me change the boot order in my bios. Pretty much everyone I know is quite technically incompetent, but that's another story. As long as you're booting from a DVD, you shouldn't have too much difficulty. Just expect it to boot a bit slower than it would if you were using a flash drive. But once it gets up and running, you can scan your system for errors, or even run offline virus scans if you've got the right tools at hand.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-12-02 08:46:05

Ran virus scans already, haven't found anything that I didn't delete after the scan... and I have the talking PE disc, I just don't know how to boot from the DVD and have no sighted help to do it for me. lol

2016-12-02 08:54:22

Ok, I think I can help you there. Place the DVD into the drive, then shut down your computer. When you turn your computer on again, wait until you hear the DVD drive start to spin, then press the space bar or enter key several times. if the drive continues to spin, it's most likely loading the content. If not, you'll need to tweak your timing a bit until you figure out when that exact moment is that you can start pressing space or enter to boot into the PE. I'm speaking as someone who has very limited vision, not nearly enough to see what's actually on the screen, so I do it purely by chance. I have a close friend who's totally blind who does it this way as well. If you have usable vision, you might get more cues, I really don't know. Try that and see how it goes. Also, keep in mind that if you don't get speech after about 15 minutes or so, the PE might not contain your sound drivers. So you can try plugging in a USB headset or sound card, which should force the generic USB sound drivers to kick in.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-12-02 09:36:33

Thanks. I will try that... just not sure about how to run scans, repairs etc. And as this is my main computer, I'm afraid of tampering to much in case I break something even worse. lol I'm not a slouch when it comes to computers, but I'm definitely not any sort of IT guy. And let's put it this way. the person who installed my copy of windows didn't exactly buy said copy.

2016-12-02 12:27:16 (edited by Draq 2016-12-02 12:31:34)

A non-genuine copy?Maybe that's what the issue is.

As for windows Update hanging, this may help.

http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/1001411/ … es-stuck-1

2016-12-02 19:18:41

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it's possible. I'd buy a legal copy just in case anyhow, but I'm not aware of any places that are selling product keys still. I think it's more that I haven't done a clean install for five years since getting this computer.

2016-12-02 21:10:07

a few questions:
1. when did this issue start popping up? Did it just pop up one day or were there small errors at first and are they getting more serious?
2. Was there a specific thing you did to your system before you started getting these errors? The takeown command for example?
If your system is still bootable and usable, you might be better off repairing the errors from within your system. If there's a vyrus on there, you should scan your disk from windows PE.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-12-02 22:06:07

Don't remember when these errors started, but they haven't gotten any better or worse. And 2, I didn't do anything that I know of before this started happening. But I may have accidentally deleted something. I have tried repairing errors from the system but have only partial success at best.

2016-12-05 02:18:31 (edited by Chris 2016-12-05 02:18:59)

All these problems will be gone with the new update that is coming for Windows 10. I just installed the preview into Fusion on my Mac with absolutely no sighted assistance or other hacks like custom talking PE images or answer files. I'm really excited. Windows may become viable for me to use once again.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-12-05 10:06:09

That doesn't solve my windows 7 problem. this PC isn't going to 10 until it absolutely has to.

2016-12-05 14:05:19

I'd just reinstall if I were you, especially if your os has been installed for 5 years.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-12-05 17:12:34 (edited by Chris 2016-12-05 17:12:58)

I agree with the previous poster. YOur best bet might be to do a clean install of 7. Save any important data you can't get back like school or other important documents and wipe your drive with one of the Talking PE disks. After that, just install 7 from installation media and have your product key handy so you can reactivate. Doing a clean install will give you a lot of disk space back and clean out old crap you may have had sitting around for the last 2 or 3 years. I do this constantly when new releases of OS X come out on Mac. Hopefully, I can start doing that with 10 when the Creator update is finally out.

2016-12-05 19:53:28

A clean install is what I plan to do if nothing else works. the problem is the product key, as I mentioned before.

2016-12-05 23:56:45

Is this an OEM copy of Windows you've got installed? You could try to either use a program like Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder or look at your computer to see if there is a sticker with the product key on it. You can download Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder from The following link.
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/downlo … taller.exe
Once you've got that, find Windows 7 install media and install the exact same version you previously had. The product key should work as long as it's used on the same machine.

2016-12-06 06:34:58

Will use the keyfinder and hunt it down... don't have a sticker on this computer with the product key. It's a custom built tank. lol