2016-12-02 04:36:46

Hi,
So as the title suggests, looking for any and all book recommendations.
What I am not, repeat, not looking for is any sort of epic fantasy. E.g. midevil. Also not too huge on romance, though if it has werewolves I'm totally in! Really like horror, thriller, urban fantasy, etc. Also science fiction.
If you need more examples (authors, other books I've enjoyed let me know!) Right now I'm reading the fireman by Joe Hill. Very interesting, as far as his writing is concerned. I read horns a while ago and it was definitely different.
I've read just about all of Stephen King and Dean Koontz, though I still need to read Odd Thomas and Frankenstein series by Koontz.
Anyway! Suggestions very much appreciated.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2016-12-02 16:10:14

@timberwolf: how are you reading your books? IT's something I'm also interested in starting. I've got a few things I could try, google play books, amazon kindle, and apple iBooks.

2016-12-03 00:27:03

Hi,
I'm mostly using voicedream. I have way too many books in my current collection (see the bt sync topic listed in this same forum).
I also have used audible, but trying to cut down on costs so might cancel it.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2016-12-03 15:19:14

Ah, good more about books.

I've done a good few book reviews for fantasybookreview.co.uk, which you can find here 

Most recent none epic fantasy i've read have been the very good urban fantasy rosemary and rue by Seanon Mcguire (I'll be continuing with that series), Dogsbody by Diana wynne jones (great if you like dogs), and some exceptionally good sf by David Brin, namely his uplift books, I also read an incredibly good sf novel called bitter angels by C L Anderson, (a sudonim of Sarah Zettle), sadly I didn't write a review but that one was aweosme, sort of sf space opera with immortal humans, orwellian govenrment and generally a brilliant plot, actually one I was sorry I didn't write a review for.

I can also highly recommend the passage trilogy by justin cronin, which are sort of post appocalyptic with vampires and such, and of course anything by Tad williams, indeed if you like sf and sort of cyberpunk virtual reality type stuff try his otherland series.
Clive Barker's weaveworld is a total classic and absolutely worth a read, you could call it horror or urban fatnasy, but either way it's extremely good.

I can't recall the last good book I read with warewolves, indeed I don't think i've run across anything warewolve wise specifically since I last finished the harry dresden books by Jim butcher, which are rollocking good fun urban fantasy but not what I'd call serious reading.

Of course I most recently finished David eddings, but as he's very much a fantasy author I imagine that would be less your thing, still since I pretty much do all speculative fiction from epic fantasy to hard classic sf, horror, paranormal and most things in between I always have recommendations.

I will stop now since I could go on about books all day big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)