2016-11-30 21:14:31

Hi all,
for any users of windows 10, does anyone know how I would go about making it so I can actually do what I want? I just switched to a new machine after working on 7 for quite a while, and I'm the only user of this laptop. Only problem is, programs don't actually seem to want to run as an admin, which means for example I can't even manually edit config files in my program files, and every time I want to paste something in there I have to click continue about 4 5 separate times... even though I'm the only administrator.
I don't remember having to deal with this stuff on my last machine, but if I did I don't remember how to do it now. I did turn UAC off by the way.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated, this thing's gonna start driving me crazy soon... lol

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2016-12-01 06:18:36 (edited by TJT1234 2016-12-01 06:19:24)

Press the Windows key, and in the search field, type "User account control", open the resulting item in the Control Panel, and change the notification slider to whatever suits you best.

2016-12-01 07:03:44

as I stated in the first post, I already disabled that.
But thanks for the response smile

2016-12-01 13:29:57

I am running 64 bit windows seven and I can tell you that 64 bit windows seems to not really want you to mess around in surten directories not matter what account you are using. The fact you can click continue without logging into an admin account most likely means that you already are in your admin. Most if not all systems now days are running 64 bit windows. I am betting that you are used to 32 bit windows 7. Do not know how to change that.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-12-01 18:11:26

no actually, my win 7 comp was 64 bit too
seems like I actually got rid of it but don't remember how then, huh

2016-12-01 18:23:02

It's not 64-bit Windows at fault here. Since Windows XP (I think), Windows has been using NTFS as its file system, though I don't remember it being so much of an issue as it has been since Vista/UAC showed up. NTFS has file/folder permission support, where FAT doesn't. By default, Windows has sensitive directories locked down, and for good reason. You wouldn't  want third party programs messing with your Windows directories.

2016-12-01 18:47:26

I mean in this case it's just me wanting to manually edit some program files and be able to copy stuff without it nagging me, but yes, definitely the more sensitive windows files should be protected

2016-12-01 20:59:13

Yeah, MS has given up on giving you permissions all over your PC and has you kind of sort of sandboxed in; it's been like that since windows 8, which is why when it comes to windows, I'm sticking to 7 as long as I can while simultaneously being glad I have a mac.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-12-02 00:34:19

actually been thinking of switching recently, although with the BS apple is doing not so sure about that now

2016-12-02 08:30:54

Turning UAC off is not a straightforward process in Windows 10 as it was in previous versions of Windows.

To completely disable UAC, you have a couple of options. Which one you pick depends on whether you have a home or pro version of Windows 10.

Actually, I think you might be able to change this option regardless, but, just in case the first method doesn't work for you, I'm going to write instructions for both ways you can accomplish this.

First, try going into your run dialog, and type secpol.msc. Once the options appear, navigate through the tree view until you get to security settings\local policies\security options. Next, scroll down until you find the option that states, "user account control: run all administrators in admin approval mode." Now hit your applications key, and go down to properties. Set this option to disabled. You will be notified that your computer needs to restart for the changes to take effect. Once that's done, voila! no more stupid, annoying nagging about copying and moving files. I agree that this is overbearing, unnecessary overkill.

If, for some reason, this doesn't work for you, you can also accomplish the same task by using Winaero Tweaker. It can be found at the following link:

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796

There's an option in this program that will disable UAC for you. There are also many other settings that are worth changing in there, so check it out if you feel that Microsoft is slowly putting you into a walled garden. it might help you feel a bit less claustrophobic inside those walls. It did for me.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-12-02 09:54:58

oo thanks for that, I'm running home though so guess it'll have to be the second one
although on another note, somewhat OT but kinda important... is there any particular reason why files would suddenly just disappear? the one example of this so far is me installing swamp... it was there, I ran it, came back just now and the exe file was gone, along with a couple other things in that folder

2016-12-03 05:28:31

Maybe your antivirus quarrantined those files. it happens, antivirus solutions sometimes flag false positives.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-12-03 05:57:23

distinctly possible, although you'd think it'd at least warn me about that before it did it and give me a chance to say, no wait hold on a seco... or... okay, sure, I guess you're already done

2016-12-03 06:35:04

Not all of them do. Vipre was notoriously bad with that. it was one of a few reasons I stopped using that program. Plus, it was a hell of a job to get anything out of the quarrantine once Vipre had stuck it there without my permission.