2016-11-28 06:20:44

Hi folks,

Some of you may be familiar with a game called Kerbal Space Program.
If not, you can find it at http://KerbalSpaceProgram.com

From the site:

KSP is a game where the players create and manage their own space program. Build spacecraft, fly them, and try to help the Kerbals to fulfill their ultimate mission of conquering space.

It's a pretty popular game in the nerdy sighted gaming community.
Of course, as with most games, it's inaccessible.

Recently, while doing a bit of research into other things, I stumbled across a mechanism for allowing both complete control of the game, as well as being able to read back the current state from external applications.
http://krpc.github.io/krpc/
After a bit of preliminary exploration, it seems as though this mechanism could be pretty easily repurposed to act as a sort of accessibility bridge, at which point a dedicated group could write a fully accessible skin to KSP.

As one of the developers of the crowdfunded NVDA Remote project, I'm interested in exploring taking on this project, if it is something the community might be interested in funding.
The goal would be the development of a fully free and accessible open source method for playing the game. It would probably look a lot like a standalone program which interfaced with both your screen reader and the game itself. The game, as well as the krpc bridge, both appear to be cross-platform, so this is something that everybody would be able to enjoy, regardless if you are a Windows or Mac user.

I've not yet dug in and built a prototype, but this does look like a pretty large project, similar in magnitude to NVDA Remote or DictationBridge.

If this is something you could see yourself putting money behind, please let me know here, so I can learn if there's sufficient interest to make building a prototype, setting up a website and mailing list, etc. worthwhile.

Thanks for your time. I'm hoping we can make this work and have another awesome game available to us!

2016-11-28 06:42:05

I would donate to this. Space games aren't typically my cup of tea, but having more options, particularly options for mainstream games, is important.

2016-11-28 07:34:27

Definitely! sounds like great idea and I will support you!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2016-11-28 07:48:15

Hi,  I would be cool with giving some cash for a project like this.  It sounds like fun!

2016-11-28 08:58:25

Hi.
I will support this as well. Sounds really great.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-11-28 09:27:50

Not heard of the original game myself, but we definitely need more space exploration games so I'd be interested in promoting this one and funding it if I have the spare cash, which at the moment is sadly a rather big if.
Just one thing however, if the output of the system is set to be specific screen readers, could there also be a sapi option? That might also help mainstream players who want a self voicing application for monitoring their game too.

I ask because Supernova always seems to get missed when people do screen reader output.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-11-28 09:33:43

Absolutely tts output can be offered. I'll probably use Accessible Output 2 for speech output, and that certainly supports Dolphin screen readers, as well as JAWS, NVDA, PCTalker, WindowEyes, and sapi  4 and 5.

2016-11-28 13:51:23

Oh, HFIL Yes.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-11-28 16:25:34

I love this type of games. It sounds very good. Of course i will help.

2016-11-28 21:08:24

Definitely. I'll send along anything I can spare.

2016-11-28 23:36:18

Sure thing, count me in on the support of the game.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-11-28 23:46:08

Yes, yes and more yes.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2016-11-28 23:48:30

Provided you don't use Kickstarter but use something that supports Discover, I'm totally behind this.

2016-11-29 00:39:18

Sure, I'd help out.

2016-11-29 04:05:17

count me in.

2016-11-29 04:09:55

I'd definitely help out. Any mainstream game we can make accessible is a step in the right direction. Orin, if the crowdfunding campaign is anything like that of Nvda Remote and Dictation Bridge, Kickstarter is a definite, 100%, nonhesitant, n o! big_smile Instead, indiegogo will be used. Kickstarter is a huge pain in the ass to screenreaders and isn't the best crowdfunding method as it stands, considering it's fairly strict approach to being committed to a pledge goal. Indiegogo, on the other hand, does not enforce as much control over the campaign, it's pretty much all you once you've set it up.

2016-12-02 06:01:35

Hi.
This sounds quite interesting. Being a star wars fan myself I'd gladly help out with anything space related, that is, besides no man's sky since that went horribly wrong rofl. I have a few questions about this though. Is there combat? And is it like a tipical multiplayer thing where you hall asteroids or mine them? If so and it has combat of some sort of the live action variity I'd hope its in stereo, unless its all text in witch case I'd still help out, just trying to better understand what the game is exactly since I've never heard of it myself. Being mainstreme though it shouldn't be too hard to get my friends playing since nun seem interested in swamp sadly.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2016-12-02 10:12:32

Actually, I feel like this one can be a bit tricky and probably everything will be based on shortcuts. As far as I know in the game, when yo're building a ship you need to grab objects and move it in the correct way to put in the correct place. If this will be like automatic process with just a one button press it will loose a lot from the atmospheric and interesting mechanics. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2016-12-02 14:23:25

the reason why a lot of sighted people won't play swamp is because the graphics are no good. it's a topdown view of an fps. there would be more response from the sighted people if lets say the graphics were on at least as good a quality as the original doom was.

2018-11-12 13:42:21

Hi,
Sorry for bringing this topic back, but just curious if there was anything ever done with this?

Daniel

2018-11-14 16:14:16

I would support it, but first I would like to test myself some kind of demo of concept or whatever. Vaporware never sleeps! smile

2018-11-17 14:41:07

i haven't heard anything but it would be cool if something did happen with it.

2018-11-18 12:39:21

I think that cristopher has stopped working on this like he was done with another his projects like chicken nugged etc.