2016-11-25 19:00:21

Our yearly thanksgiving event is in full swing!  Come get lost in the corn maze, hunt down some turkeys, or gobble your way to victory as a turkey in our PvP arenas. The event be open until the end of November, when new areas will be released.

Along with the festivities, we also have a bunch of new spells and skills:  a jinx curse, thistles for druids, and new leatherworking skills that allow you to craft even more custom items.

We also have our year end events coming up, and don't forget to log in during the month of December to get your Advent gifts.

We hope to see you there!

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com

2016-11-25 20:17:28

wow great, I will be there. smile

2016-11-25 21:32:16

Those poor necros... So misunderstood and so neglected!  I think cleriks have at least one area spell, mages have about three of them, and druids have... What, now... Five?  If it weren't for all the amazing equipment necros seem to have nowadays, I think i'd tell everyone to give up on them entirely. lol

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-11-26 11:40:11

Unfortunately I forgot to play Alter Aeon for so long that my character got purged, oops. Othewise I would be there.

2016-11-26 17:48:22

So... Create a new one?
with the insane amount of turkies running around and overpoppulating the place, you'll get insane xp right now anyway!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-11-26 20:13:09

My char got purged as well. Worked on that necro for years, dread starting over, but maybe now is a good time.

2016-11-26 21:31:34

I have a necro cleric that I'm starting over due to the huge cleric changes making the amount of xp I'd need ridiculous to make it work.
I love alter, always something great to come back to.

2016-11-26 23:26:55

Glad to see you all returning, even if I never really know who you all are and really don't see you returning.  You'll find it is rather easy to find me, as my name out here is my name over there and my name everywhere more or less.  Send mudmails and feel free to harass me for information.  I might, just give you free equipment if you're nice enough.  :d

2016-11-26 23:37:44

And because I forgot tells and say's and friend adding and other forms of communications including the more ancient ones like sending smoke signals, there's this post.

2016-11-27 12:35:21

I stuck my own noggin back around the door again too, lots of fun in that corn maze though it was a toughy, I look forward to using my druidic powers to make tirkey mince big_smile.

Actually maybe I'll get to do the full alter advent calindar this year,  too, since it looks like I'll have a nice relaxed december.

As people probably know, my alteraeon Char is called thelok, that is t h e l o k.

Edit: Wow, leather working looks fun, and I'm getting lots of good xp from slaughtering those turkies!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-11-29 20:25:14

Glad to see a few more people hopping on Alter again. My main char on Alter is Shrukin. Feel free to send me a mudmail or tell if you have any questions.

Also, Nocturnus, Necros now have field of the grasping dead as an area spell.

2016-11-29 21:47:38

Oh wow Ross, never knew Shrukin was yours. You gave me gifts several times on severral chars. Thank you for that.:)

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2016-11-30 00:14:57

Oh, right... How could I forget... Something having to do with not being a level 37 necro, perhaps?
Nah, seriously, forgive my cynicism.  There are games I have a love hate relationship with; this is one of them, and part of it is not understanding so much because the game is so massive, and even the parts I do understand I tend to forget about.  I started playing necro back in 2011 and failed to realize probably one of the most important things about necros which more than likely make the difference between life and death, a little thing called castlevel.  This little thing... It went unnoticed by me myself and I and my necro char for nearly two years because manaregen and manaregen is important and manaregen is important and manaregen is important!  Fastforward to the end of 2013 and I came to the realization that a ton of equipment I had carelessly dropped and sacced could have been exceptionally useful.  I didn't play much of anything in 2014 so that, when I returned to Alter in late 2015 for a brief amount of time I felt like I hardly had any idea what I was doing.  Here we are at the end of 2016 and druids just, look better than necros for so many reasons, not least of which is that druid companions like liveoaks and their animal buddies and such, are not dependant on castlevel equipment save for when you summon them.  Oh, yeah, and above mentioned annoyances called area spells that destroy my blood misting career.  If I lose my staff in the celestial circle because mummies decided to curse my poor self thus weakening me, that's two levels lost and a ton of HP for every minion involved, including my tank... Poor tank!
but oh, sweet, sweet positives!  Skeletal knights and liches are stronger, don't require that I cast fly on them,, won't fall writhing and screaming through the air and suffer drowning catastrophes, and I can cast them anywhere that is anywhere I want them!  I don't have to walk outside to get me an elk or a stag or a wolf or a bear or or a boar or a squirrel to replenish my nutty needs!  The point of this message is quite simply that, every single class has its ups and downs.  I love it and hate it!  Yessssss!  I'm annoyed!

2016-11-30 08:06:45

I'll confess eq balancing isn't my favourite part of most games, since there is usually soooo much equipment it's hard to tell what is what, and when there are several important things and equipment does anything it's really a pain to know what to where or to prioritize, ---- quite aside from the fact that frankly sitting and number crunching and  trying to decide whether my plus mana regen bat skin gloves of evil are better than my clevel silver runic gauntlets of elvish magicky doom just plane takes me out of the atmosphere of the game, I'd rather be off exploring and fighting and so on.

So when playing druid my basic way of finding eq is "does it make my druiding better!" no, then I don't bother!

That and actually building a lot of my eq myself, which is actually something i do enjoy doing, indeed that was one of my favourite bits about my necro skills with my first char.

I'd lov to try a primary necro at some point, though right now I'm having too much fun hiding behind my earth wall, chucking sundry plant matter, weather and the odd mage spell at targets while my pack of rabbid animals do the actual fighting big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-11-30 16:42:23

Necros do basically the same thing, Dark. Set up a punching bag like a clay man or wood woad, then summon spiders, skeletal warriors, or mages, or maybe a ghoul, and then just stand back and pelt stuff while minions shred it. I think arguably a necro's DPS is higher than a druid with the right setup, and getting your minions back is generally easier, but druids make up for it with generally a bit more versatility and fewer restrictions on how good their minions are.

I have a tot 101 necro-mage, and she's great fun to play. Admittedly I haven't been on AA too much in the last few months, I think I burnt myself out again a little. I'm excited to see thief and cleric get updated, since they both appear to be fairly weak as main classes thus far.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2016-11-30 18:04:14

I am having soooo much an easier time with a main class druid as opposed to my previous play as a clerric it's not funny, heck, It previously took me about 300 hours to get to level 26, now I'm I've just finished level 25 druid and I'm only just over the hundred mark.
The one thing I do wish was possible in Alter was some way of linking multiple characters and geting some sort of bennifit for all, so that even the chars your not playing could get some sort of advantage from an alternative char, to make having alternative characters and trying out other classes a good idea, since I just don't have the playing time to play alts for their own sake as compared to Thelok.

2016-11-30 23:55:34

I stopped coming around Alter when the cleric stats got changed. My character was set up as a cleric/mage, and cleric used to use intelligence. Most of my equipmetn was intelligence/wisdom equipment for casting. Now it's charisma in place of intelligence. In order to use some spells that I could before I would have to dump a ton of practices into charisma. I don't quite understand why a cleric needs charisma to cast spells either.

2016-12-01 01:35:13

CHr is used to get a reply from the gods, and I understand why it changed from INT, with clerics calling upon the gods for help so much. Gotta love Druids, one Tempest, and Necro's minions are gone, most of them, anyway. I killed necro fame just by tempesting and making them recast minions, only to kill them on my  Next cast.

2016-12-01 10:41:41 (edited by JasonBlaze 2016-12-01 10:45:32)

my only problems in this game is finding a good spot for solo hunting, sometimes I rant into an area with a pritty strong mob and got killed. the world is toooo huge, I often feel  overwelm, and I hate micro levels , really, it's so grindy. tongue
aside from that, this mud is super cool!, I love the complexity of the mud, soundpack, describtion etc
my main char is a      druead, he is level 30 now, haha. I love the liveoak, I often set them to tanking wile I throwing some spell from the disttend
anyways, any idea where is that new naftali and gads music came from? , I believe it's from mainstream game but not sure...

2016-12-01 12:21:49

I just know the seaside track is from final fantasy, not sure which one.:)
Alter's not meant to be soloable at higher point, which is, honestly and admittedly, what I really hate. I'm a solo type, and htings just get overgrindy. If I wanna solo Alter finely, I would probably have to grind myself to tot 200 or something.:(

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2016-12-01 12:59:31

@Drak, that was why I restarted Thelok as a druid rather than a clerric, that and the fact I'd forgotten where I was.
In fairness though before charisma was used to affect mob  aggression it was a pretty pointless stat, so I can see the point of the change, indeed ironically at the moment strength is my lowest stat.

what people say about the grouping is odd, since Dentin has confirmed Alter is! supposed to  be possible solo, and grouping is supposed to be optional not necessary, indeed if I get to a point when I can't progress without grouping I'll probably stop playing.

Another thing that made my alter playing fall off around level 26 with my clerric was the fact that I'd run out of quests and new areas and was just wandering arounbd Arcase grinding the same mobs over and over again, however this time running with my druid I have just been able to run through quests one after another, and so long as I kept my questing reasonably within level and made sure to do judicious amounts of slayage I've never had to deliberately grind, ie, just kill for experience, ---- well not counting those turkies anyway.

I'll confess it is something about me. If I need to go off and kill 200 goblins just to level higher I probably won't be interested, however if some npc tells me to go and slay 200 goblins because he's making a goblin pie and needs 200 goblin bladders to go in it, I'll be quite happy to slay all day, still more if it involves going into an area I've not explored before and getting to wander around, look at the sceenary etc.

This is also why I like the idea of the jobs system, albeit at the moment I've not really had as much chance to try that given I've been busy doing actual quests.

2016-12-01 14:26:55

you never run out of quest, dark. You just have a bunch of them in your list and can't do it. and whenever you're around mainland, this is when the pain starts

2016-12-01 16:36:20

I've never run out of places to go as a necro; part of the problem I think, is that people don't actually explore and thus maximise the amount of xp they can get from places.  I know there is this elitist mindset that once you reach a certain level you need to cap cap cap cap cap, but honestly, half caps and the like are worth getting because some xp is better than none at all, and also, because you're getting xp without taking as much of a risk on occasion, which means you're getting more than the people having to sit down and rest and regen.
the kind of char you choose to play, however, does have a massive effect on the entirety of your soloing ability...  A little more on that in a bit.  If you ever get into groups and get attached to them, you'll eventually start to rely on group members to cast certain things on you or do certain things for you, which, once you try soloing again, will bring back the obvious fact that you didn't attempt to learn how to do those things yourself.  alter is the kind of place where every bit of advice is worth checking into at least a little.  Once again, the elitists will discourage you from buying or grabbing or holding onto lower level equipment, sometimes because they want to hoard it all to themselves, at other times because they are simply elitists who know more and know better and know smarter and know greater and know all of these things and more than you... So they say.  the auction block is a trollfest waiting to happen since all transactions are conducted in annonymoty and no one troll is going to admit to possibly considering a piece by bidding on it and saying they did.  that having been said, there are still, yes, still people on alter aeon you can learn to trust and depend on who will steer you in the right direction.
As for chars and soloing?  I imagine there is at least 10 different combos you can use to maximise the experience, but I'll focus on why druid and necros have just about everyone beat, and why you definitely want either mage or cleric as your second class.  First, every minion or companion you can summon into your solo group, as it were, makes differences... A difference in the probability of your being hit, a difference on how fast a mob is going to die, a difference on how much mana you're going to have to use, a difference on how many hitpoints you're going to lose, a difference on other material resources you'll have to depend on.  Skeletal spiders might seem trivial once you reach higher levels, but if you're maxing out your necrocast and you have tons of teeth, recasting and recreating them against a mob or mobs can sometimes provide that little bit of edge and the space needed for more powerful minions to get in the killing blow.  Bone armor and bone shields provide nice armor class and saves against breath and gas attacks along with HP, but might you be able to find equipment that can do the same so as to not compromise your minions?  The answer is yes, and it usually doesn't come in forms you might think it would.  If you have a weightless and a storage locker, don't discard pieces unless you know they definitely don't apply to you.  If you have neither, create an alt character, preferably a warrior, who can hold it for you.  Sounds tedious?  Feel free to donate and get some credits; we won't judge you for it.  The point here is that you want to hold on to uniques, exceptionals, epics, remarkables, etc.  You never know when you'll meet a druid that can carve out the minuses or carve in the pluses you didn't have before.  One of my favorite sets of equipment along with displace, armor and shield on, now gives me an ac of 212 with a fair amount of zapsave, but goodness only knows what a high level druid can do to it... I'll let you know when I find out.
I've mainly talked about necros above, so lets cover druids a bit.  Still air is a spell I won't be learning for a bit, but how I wish I could. where I might find equipment to guard myself against dragons and the like owing to breath attacks, druids can do it with their mana alone, without having to make many sacrifices owing to something else which I am somewhat jealous of called spellstaffs.  Remember that weightless I mentioned earlier?  Store spellstaffs in it and stop using up all of your mana.  Vipers poison, wolves trip, bats drain your blood, boars go insane, bears get raging mad, lions and panthers will shred you up!  Need a tank?  If its temporary, pull a Trump and build a wall.  If it's a bit more permanent, use an elk, a moose, a shambling mound or liveoaks.  Take off your druid equipment once you're done summoning your creature comforts and put on a regen set.  Pull out one of those spellstaffs and away we go!
and the secondary class?  Mages regen mana faster than any other class on the game, while clerics will give you a considerable amount of HP along with access to healing and protection a bit earlier on.  Necro mage?  Summon an ebony scaled demon and don't worry so much about your manaregen.  Necro cleric?  Summon the energetic green one and heal up your minions and yourself on occasion.  Druid mage and feeling squishy?  Keep training that wis and int and we'll see you at level 20 mage when you can learn displace... by then, you should also know shield and armor.  Visit smuggler's cove and run some low level xp over there when you're not questing it... You might just find yourself a little something.  Druid cleric?  Presence is your friend; save some pracs for it.  You'll heal at level 22 in that awesome manaregen set.
From my perspective, which is not the end all and be all and which I would never want you to take as such, I'd say that clerics provide wonderful leaders owing to their healing abilities, mages are great blasters and overall elementalists.  Warriors can never seem to be both tanks and hitters and thus I would never trust as solo chars, while thieves are brutal with sneak attacks initially but cant' depend on that if they have to stay in a fight for too long.  In conclusion, I'd suggest that if you are truly in to soloing you really should consider necro or druid as a primary, cleric or mage as a second.  Those who are going necro druid or druid necro have my respect... I wish you the best, but methinks your control points shall not sustain your ambitions. :d

2016-12-01 18:05:01

Hi nocturnus.

Good advice actually, particularly since I've just hit level 19 mage.
My general philosophy with learning stuff is to learn all of the druid and mage things as much as possible, and forget the rest other than a few extras like dodge and multiple attacks, since one major mistake I made with my clerric warrior character was trying to learn too many things on the basis of "that sounds cool" without actually taking into account whether I have the resources or levels for it.

I've still not got the mana regen set thing people talk about though, mostly I just wander around in my druid gear (runed up as much as I can of course), and when my mana is gone, make sure I'm not in the teretory of any nasty mobs, just cast crystal chimes, let my animals watch me for a bit while I snoozle.

Spell staffs though are not something I've experimented with, and as I do have my weightless container that's a pretty good idea.

the other thing I've just not been able to work out at all is how the brewing thing works. I've got some great sounding druid brew skills like stone skin and trollblood, but whenever I try brewing I'm never sure how this actually works in practice, maybe I'll need to go grab some herbs and experiment.

Likewise, with mage potion brewing I've no idea how you maintain any sort of recipe or how all that submitting thing works, mostly I just grab stuff and try brewing and see what happens as a bit of miner divertion big_smile.

2016-12-01 19:46:40

@Dark,
Spellcomps are things you find over time in various places which go a long way to brewing potions.  You usually figure out what they are by using the id command on them, but they normally pop up as random pieces you would normaly not think to keet, such as the scales off of this or that thing or the bloody remains of a something or other.  I believe soulstones can be used as well, but if you ever need spellcomps in a pinch you can try buying them off the various alchemists, unless you're of a more nefarious nature and would rather dispose of said alchemists and go about it from that direction... Again, we won't personally judge you and the choice is entirely yours.
Regarding mana regen, one of the easiest ways to find equipment is to search the donation pits with the list search command, which supports a ton of arguments including +manaregen.  an example of a piece that has mana regen on it would show you the following if you ID it within a list or by using the id command:
turkey wings pair
Weight: 2  Size: 2'0"  Total levels: 67 (very common)
Type: ARMOR   Composition: BONE   Defense: 1 ac-apply
Flags: RARE
-ARMS
AGE by 14
CHR by 1
MANA_REGEN by 2.0
HITROLL by 1
SAVING_BREATH by 5%
SAVING_FIRE by 10%
The age is worth having as it can also contribute to your mana regen as well as how much mana you'll have when you wear them.  Int and wis are important for these reasons as well.
Where practices are concerned, I'd also suggest adding some into stats, particularly wis, int and con as you tend to get hit harder at higher levels and spellcasters are generally squishy.  Mercifully I currently have 604 HP with my con at 26 and some extra pieces helping pick up the slack.  While currently you can depend on your companions taking most if not all of the damage off your back, it won't always work, which is why I always warn peopel to train constitution early.