2016-11-20 12:03:35

Hello, a veteran gamer here, who has lost his eyesight, and is trying to play Your games with the help of his mom.
Whenever we click on the "GO" command, the following error message appears: Cant' find this game.
This happens to whichever game we try to start.

2016-11-20 16:29:25

Hello and welcome to the site.

We actually don't sell games here, we're an informational website providing many game pages which explain all about a lot of different accessible games available (close to six hundred).

The "go" command is linked to a dropdown box (also sometimes called a combo box), an internet control where you need to select an item from a menu before hitting the "go" button.
When you select a game and hit go, you'll be taken to a page with information about that game, including links to the developer's website, a description of what the game is about, and a link to download it if it can be downloaded.

usually the reason you get the "could not find this game" message is because you've not selected an entry in the dropdown box prior to pressing go and have hit the "please select a game" entry instead.
if you have selected a game entry I'm not exactly sure what is happening since it does work okay, however there are several other ways to find the pages with information about games, you can go to the "gamelist" link at the top of the page and get a list of streight off links to all of the game pages, or you can use the "search games" llink to select games by genre or license type.

Also of course, if you let us know what sort of thing your interested in, people on this forum are always willing to help.

While the number of accessible games is tiny compared to graphical ones, and while all are from independent developers there is a lot of good stuff available both as audio games using sound, and as text, everything from arcade and rhythm action titles to sport to first person shooters, adventure games  and even a few rpgs.

There are also lots of games that use text which can be read by a screen reading program too which can also be accessible, especially online rpg and stratogy games of various sorts, plus interactive stories and various sorts of traditional type games.

Most are available for Windows, but there is an increasing amount available on Ios, plus several for android, and some multi platform such as games played in web browsers.

So, lots of stuff to choose from.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-11-21 14:31:50

Tanx, Your informations were very useful.

2016-11-21 18:34:55

Your welcome, let us know if you have any more questions.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-01 17:20:12 (edited by Caccio72 2017-01-02 09:27:48)

Regardles of their genre, I generally dislike linear, but prefer creative, open-world, open-end games, with as many choices and selections as possible.
Can someone please recommend a few, such non-linear  games to me from the listed audio-games on this site? (if possible, ones I can download directly from here)

2017-01-02 20:44:20

Well we don't have games to download directly from here, but we do provide direct download links to developer's own sites.

Open world games sadly take a large amount of developing in terms of time and money, and the mainstream companies who make games like minecraft just aren't interested in devoting that sort of time to making accessible games. Most of the games we have are made by independent developers on small budgits.

I'd recommend asking this question in the main part of the forum, in the general game discussion room that way you can get lots of people's ideas along with links.
A few games that might fit what your looking for are some of the browser based games we have like core exiles and drakor, (which have no sound but can be played online with your screen reader), or perhaps some mud games  such as clok or avalon the legend lives, which are real time text games, that you connect to with a mud client such as vipmud or mushclient (check out the vipmud page in the database for more information about muds).
There are also a few audiogames that haven't yet been added to the database which might fit, like survive the wild which you can find out more about here on the developer's own site 

Hth.

As I said there is a lot out there, and I'd recommend asking in the main part of the forum to get more information.

2017-01-28 09:00:57

There is one thing which confuses me on this website, can YOI PLEASE EXPLAIN IT?

nAMELY, IT SEEMS TO ME, AS IF THERE EXIST TWO DIFFERENT LISTS OF GAMES HERE.
oNE APPEARS WHEN i CLICK THE "SELECT A GAME" OPTION, AND AN ANOTHER, PRETTY DIFFERENT ONE, WHEN i SIMPLY CLICK THE "GAME LIST" OPTION.

wHY ARE THOSE 2 LISTS DIFFERENT, AND WHICH ONE OF THEM IS MORE COMPLETE?
(i ALREADY SPOTTED QUITE A LOT OF GAMES, WHICH ARE PRESENT ONLY IN ONE OF THE LISTS, BUT MISSING FROM THE OTHER ONE)

2017-01-28 16:42:14

Game list lets you sort by different genres and types, and select a game is an alphabetical list if you want to go and look at a game really quickly.

2017-01-28 16:50:17

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.
there is the "game list" link which offers a list of all 581 games in the database, and a couple of ways of sorting that list by developer, genre or license, or by release date.
There is then the "search games" link, which has several dropdown combo boxes which let you display only games of a specific developer, license type or genre. For example all freeware games, all rpgs or all games by say bsc games.

There is then the dropdown combo box at the bottom of the page which lets you directly jump to the site entry for a specific game, which is probably the quickest way of getting to specific pages.

Lastly, there is the "updates" link which shows you only the last 20 most recently updated game entry pages, just so you know what's last been added to the site.

Hth.

2017-01-28 19:38:15 (edited by Caccio72 2017-01-28 20:12:50)

Sorry, it seems I got something wrong, meaning became a bit confused while searching-cycling through the game lists.

My mistake, it seems I have a pretty hard time getting used to my vision loss, and how to properly use my computer with this severe handicap.

So please forget about that previous post of mine, or just ignore it!

(still could not even master the proper usage of my screen reeder yet)

2017-01-29 01:03:55

Hi Caccio72

Not a problem.

I don't use Nvda myself so can't give any specific advice for using it, but you might want to ask in the offtopic room, since there are people here who use it very successfully.

I can also recommend playing games in your web browser as a great, and very fun way of learning your screen reader, since you concentrate more on the game than on what your doing.

It helped me a lot back in 2004-05 to get used to all of the things my screen reader can do, and again when I got an Iphone in 2012 the first thing I did was download some games to practice voiceover on.

Hth.

Any further questions, feel free to ask, though as I said, for questions about game recommendations or about Nvda you might want to ask elsewhere on the forum since this room is just for questions about the website or forum itself.