2016-09-20 11:43:29

hi. Could you please change my name from kianoosh shakeri To kianoosh?
Thanks.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2016-09-20 12:47:59

Yes I could, and I can, and I have!
enjoy.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-21 17:12:28

Thanks a lot.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2016-10-26 18:21:00

Hello,
I want my username changed from sid512 to --- well, actually I don't!
big_smile

an interesting fact about this name is that when I started registering on various sites including this one, I was looking for a name which stands out. I probably wasn't going to use my full name so I decided on a short nickname that would be sid, but it was way too short for an effective nickname. I also considered adding a custom sirname but decided to use a number instead to make it unique. after experimenting here and there I came across my pc's ram, which was 512 MB at that moment. when put together, sid512 therefore made a really unique username unlike the others, and hence the username sid512 was born on a bunch of online games, sites and a couple of forums including this one, and still stands out and will remain so for a fairly long time. tongue

another interesting situation about names being changed is people being reffered in replies. suppose if a person changes his username from superdragon to littlefairy, I don't think it would change the same in subsequent posts as well. for example, if someone looks up a thread from the past when littlefairy was superdragon and reads a lot of replies which refer to @superdragon hello, @superdragon finally its time to say goodbye, and so on, then the person may get confused at first. even if it can be figured out by looking at this topic, I don't think everyone who visits this forum is likely to read this thread, including guests. those who read this, however, are not supposed to remember all the names every time they see a different username as well. so, someone with thousands of posts changing their username all of a sudden may unintentionally end up creating confusion at the beginning.  I guess the restriction on requesting new names over and over exists because of the above reason, but still.

regards.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

Thumbs up

2016-10-26 23:37:28

@Figment, As cid indeed said, it's to avoid confusion that we don't allow lots of multiple changes of user name on this board. While I simpathise if there's been another name your known by online in the past, you've already had a name change from Jean Warner (it's in post two of this topic), and manifestly we have a lot of users referring to you as Figment on this board.

I'll certainly remove the tipperton account, (since for all intents and purposes that is a name change anyway), but as to changing the name I'm afraid I'm going to have to say no here.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-27 01:56:06 (edited by Figment 2016-10-27 02:22:46)

People refered to me as Gene with the first name I used, and some still do. If we were to follow your logic, no name changes would ever be allowed, period, end of story!

Thumbs up

2016-10-27 03:14:36

@figment,
Methinks you should refer to post 1.  there's nothing that says you won't want a name change a year from now and, by your logic, we should honor it since name changes are allowed, period.  end of story.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up

2016-10-27 05:37:20

You're right that post one does say that only one name change would be permitted, and I admit that I forgot that. So, my mistake, no problem.

Dark should have used that as his reason for saying no, not the faulty logic that other members have refered to me by name in their messages. There are references to most people by the name they chose in these forums. So, if that is a real and valid reason for saying no to my request, then I shouldn't have gotten the name change I did get. Nor should anyone else have gotten a name change for the very same reason, and this thread shouldn't even exist!.

Dark, how does this thread and allowing name changes pair up with your reason for declining my request because people have refered to me by name in their messages? I must be missing something here. It makes no sense to me.

Thumbs up

2016-10-27 09:07:39

Figment, why do your messages always sound like you are actively trying to start a fight?  I'm sure I don't read everything you post, but the ones I have read all have this in common.  Do you read your messages before submitting them?

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

2016-10-27 09:51:01

@Figment, I sighted the reason that people refer to you as Figment and have known you by that name because effectively I didn't want to be so rude as to say "One change is the rules so tough luck" and wanted to remind you that your part of this community instead.

I was attempting to be diplomatic and make you feel better rather than give a blunt refusal.

2016-10-27 14:01:25

imo no use to be diplomatic to ones who are insensitive to diplomacy itself. big_smile

as I mentioned in the above post about causing confusion not only to forum members but also guests, only one name change per person is a good option as it allows members to get their names changed if the original becomes too old or uninteresting to the user. those who want it can get a new name but at the same time too many name changes surely do create chaos. for example I find a bunch of new names on some topics which I've no idea who the people are, the only solution is being forced to check out this topic time to time just for the names, and if I don't want to, there is no way of finding out directly. I propose there should be a list of users with previous names changed to new names, similar to what was done about site ranks and other stuff. that reminds me of the way aprone has included a serial wise list of people who had donated on his site and so forth. I mean, why should I spend some ten minutes to read 4 pages of posts that too for their! name changes?

regards.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

Thumbs up

2016-10-27 14:51:34

My name is this, my friends call me that, my wife calls me something else, my phone number is different from my other phone number, and I have more emails than I can count because I had nothing better to do with my time when I was a teen and they all have different names attached to them as well.  Can we please stick to Nocturnus?  I promise it'll work quite nicely.  I mean, if you see me out on the street, I suppose Hey, you, might kind of work, too.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up

2016-10-27 15:00:00 (edited by sid512 2016-10-27 15:03:19)

@nocturnus
what's there in a name,
a rose, is a rose, is a rose,

big_smile

Thumbs up

2016-10-27 15:51:31

Well to quote BArt simpson, a rose really wouldn't smell as sweet if you called it a crapweed :d.

As to names, Your exactly right on why the rule is generally one name change per member, if everyone were changing names willy nilly we'd have quite the job keeping track of who was who. However I'm afraid trying to compile a list would be something of a pest, and also not particularly current since I don't know if all the people who changed their names are even still members, that is however why this topic is sticky, so you can go through and use something like your screen reader's find function to look for a members past or future name, and why we also ask everyone to write out both their previous and current names so that there is always a publically available log.

You can however make viewing of this topic much easier for yourself by changing the number of posts per page displayed in your profile to the maximum of 75, meaning this topic has just two pages not four, (you can also change the number of topics per page to 75 as well).

I'd highly recommend doing both of these if your a screen reader user, since the fewer needs to change pages the better.
Find the options in settings under your profile, just type "75" in the "display posts per page" box and similarly in the topics per page box if you want, ---- btw 75 is the maximum you are allowed to display unfortunately, though it's far better than the measley 25 your allowed.

2016-10-27 18:29:51

well dark, I'm using the maximum 75 limit since the very beginning, but i only log in to the forum just before posting and log out immediately after. which means almost all of the reading is as a guest which means default 25 posts. to make it clear i use the inprivate browsing most of the times, so cookies and other stuff which keeps you logged in all the time doesn't work here as expected.

but as the quote suggests, it won't matter if someone calls themselves a dragonfly or a bugbear as long as what they post is relevant enough.
big_smile

regards.

Thumbs up

2016-10-27 19:37:58

@Aprone

I guess you are just unlucky. No, I am not trying to pick a fight, I just wanted to know the reason for such a lame excuse for his response. If you call that picking a fight, then I'm sorry, but that's not my intention.

@Dark

Thank you, that truth would have been far more preferable and honest than the lame excuse you gave.

sid512 wrote:

imo no use to be diplomatic to ones who are insensitive to diplomacy itself. big_smile

Now, if you are looking for someone looking to pick a fight, here's a prime example!

@sid512

I'll thank you to keep your uninformed opinions about me to yourself. Especially since it appears that the only reason you'd post such a remark would be to stir up trouble.

Thumbs up

2016-10-27 23:08:32

*Moderation*

Figment, even when you try to claim you are not picking a fight, you refer to Dark's "excuse" as a "Lame excuse" twice.  I'm not sure if you come from some part of the world where the things you say are not considered rude, but if such a place exists, I'm glad I don't live there.
If someone says your dog has a quiet bark and they see the dog toy you are holding in your hand, those are pretty benign statements.  If they say your stupid dog has a quiet bark and they see the lousy dog toy you are holding in your stumpy hand, then they are clearly looking to be rude.  You seem to love to throw little "extras" into your posts, meant to put a sharp edge on what you are saying.  They not only give a rude tone to what has been said, but after a few it is hard to see them as anything neutral or positive.

Consider this an official warning.  If you continue to essentially pick fights with rude/harsh posts, then there will have to be consequences.  Speaking down to others does nothing but hurt the forum.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

Thumbs up +5

2016-10-28 05:02:08

And yet nobody seems to think there's anything wrong when somebody talks down to me  like calling me insensitive.

I have brought this up before and had hoped I was wrong, but there definitely seems to be a very distinct difference in how offenses towards me are handled versus my offenses towards others are handled.

It is very clear to me that everyone here definitely would rather see me gone, well I'm not stupid enough to stay where I am not wanted, so I will leave.

And just as you have threatened consequences if I continue. I will promise you that there will be consequences all of audiogames.net will suffer now that you have shown me your true colors and forced me to leave.

Other than the Steam forums, this is definitely one of the most unfriendly communities I have ever encountered on the internet.

Fuck the whole lot of you, and you can all burn in hell for all that I care! You're all just a bunch of fucking hypocritical assholes!

Thumbs up +1

2016-10-28 09:13:30

And with that... a warning becomes a ban.  Circle of life and all that.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

Thumbs up +3

2016-10-28 14:50:59

Due to these less than pleasant happenings, this name changes topic is being retired.
Any members needing name changes, please use the new name changes v2 topic which is here

2016-10-28 15:11:06

Lol. that was weird. I've been in this forum since 2013, and this forum been a good place for me. if you respect people, they will respect you back.

2016-10-28 15:25:28

I'd like to state that ever since I've been here, the audiogames forum helped me a ton. Code wise, people wise, and generally being a fun place to hang out. I do think we have more than capable mods, I've never seen unjustly bans, and for the most part I love the tone of conversation we can have on here. To lighten the mood of above, thank you to all who make this forum possible. To all the admins, who could show up more but without whom the service wouldn't even run, to all the mods who help keep this forum as clean as it can be, to all the users providing valuable, informative and funny content, to all the developers giving us content to talk about.

I miss things like the experimental audio games, and I personally think the main page of audiogames.net is a little bit cluttered, but the community, while undergoing generations of audiogamers coming and going, still stays strong. Let's keep it this way.

Maybe this would have been better in it's own topic, but I didn't want to bloat the page with just a thanks, so here it goes. big_smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2016-10-28 15:53:40

Well people are very welcome, we do try our best to make this a fun place to discuss and find out about audiogames. Despite Figment's claims we actually hate it when things get into this sort of situation, indeed I'll freely admit i was very much hoping that this could be resolved peacefully and am sorry things had to go this far.

Btw Gorthalen, might I suggest if you have some comments about the main page you start a fresh topic to discuss things like that, we're certainly not above taking suggestions and appearence of the front page is something which certainly Richard and Sander, and quite possibly the rest of us as well probably could fix relatively easily if there's an issue with it.

2016-10-28 19:47:40 (edited by sid512 2016-10-28 19:50:19)

hello,
as the old saying goes, --- better late than never!

well, now that some dust seems to be settled, I would like to make some closing remarks of my own after specially being refered in one of the previous posts. it is definitly not my intention to spread any kind of hatred or further continue on a matter already  dealt with, but I should at least be entitled to respond to a couple of absolutely false accusations or claims. despite the urge to say a lot of things which are likely to be highly frowned upon, I'll keep it as brief as I can.

@figment
as far as i've read your posts on this forum since last few months, you appeared to be a great person in terms of experience and maturity level compared to average teenagers on the forum. you have not only posted some valuable insights or tips on a few topics but shared opinions in the beginning which can be viewed as generally acceptable by some members. however, i also remember reading that you lost your vision at a later stage of life, and that you are likely to be in your fifties if not older. now, the fact is that your language and overall tone makes you totally different from what you are or pretending to be. besides, a person with similar experience in your age group is asumed to be way more reliable. I suppose that is one of the reasons for the moderators showing the utmost amount of restraint till the very end. there were countless ocasions like this and all they did was to make efforts towards giving a suitable advice though unfortunately it fell on deaf ears. I don't think any other forum or community will tollerate this sort of behaviour let alone being willing to accept a member who remains adamant and keeps doing the same after being warned numerous times.

Now, if you are looking for someone looking to pick a fight, here's a prime example!

this proves nothing. as rightly pointed by aprone, suppose in a  post-apockalyptic world, a person expresses his disgust by saying that zombies are inconsiderate to human emmotions. this remains a fact and if a particular zombie decides to get intimidated and asumes a sole  responsibility to take him down and ultimately exterminate the whole human race just because of the above statement, the consequences will  be dire. certainly, the person was not refering to a zombie, but indeed meant it as a general remark about zombies. as far as their ultimate aim of exterminating the whole human population is concerned, well --- its a part of their nature as they were the ones to cause all the chaos at first place. big_smile it is not a good example, but definitly not the worst. people don't make statements for the very purpose of inviting trouble, afterall you don't want another zombie hoard at your doorstep. tongue

figment, you may not be reading the forum anymore, but I really would like to thank you for showing your true colours, and there is no doubt who stirred up trouble by throwing adjectives and targetting a member who didn't even mention your name in his posts at first place, as it is.

And just as you have threatened consequences if I continue. I will promise you that there will be consequences all of audiogames.net will suffer now that you have shown me your true colors and forced me to leave.

as of consequences, it is actually interesting to hear that, but i'm almost certain that the forum, and the whole audiogames.net site will be a lot better in the years to come, and we might see dozens upon dozens of new audiogames for all the platforms, and possibly come across a series of revolutions  in the audiogaming market like never before!
(swamp as an excellent example)

Other than the Steam forums, this is definitely one of the most unfriendly communities I have ever encountered on the internet.

no sir, i respectfully disagree. this forum is indeed one of the most cooperative and friendly community a VI audiogamer can ever be a part of, from my own experience as well as a majority of people both inside and outside the forum. apart from the registered members there are probably a whole lot of guest users who visit the forum along with the main site, too.

it is not for you to decide who would burn in hell and who won't,  whether you hold a grudge against this community or you don't, --- no one really cares now. life just goes on. and... once again, thank you very much for showing your true colours to the community, that was highly appriciated.

also, a few posts were deleted on this topic, the ones requesting a name change in particular, thanks to the deleting function.

p.s. finally, i've nothing more to say. this isn't supposed to sound rude but i couldn't resist this time.
(actually posting a bit later than I intended to).

thanks dark for the new topic, that way others can avoid the clutter. big_smile

regards.

Thumbs up +1

2016-10-28 23:27:20

@Sid, while your kind remarks about the forum are appreciated, at the same time lets let bbygones be bygones where Figment is concerned.

I I didn't want to step into  warning teretory with Figment because I did hope he'd be able to change his mode of address, but he just refused to believe he could ever be in the wrong, and this situation repeated time after time after time after time (we've had a good few private discussions of Figment among the mods).

it's a bad situation all around since he was on occasions a very helpful member of the community and could be a decent fellow, but there's nothing quite as destructive as someone who believes they're always in the right.

If figment does read the forum, I hope he learns from this for his future dealings with people since I got the strong impression he's not exactly happy with how he relates to others in his life, part of which might unfortunately  be due to his manner and beliefs about himself.

it's a sad situation for all concerned really and one I did not like being involved with, and much as I will admit I was often exasperated with Figment I do wish him the best and also hope his life improves.