2016-10-24 03:29:57

Hi.
Can anyone recommend good text editing environment on linux?
The situation is as follows.
I'm remotely logging in to a linux machine from my Windows PC, and I have to create/edit text data there. I have Tera term as my terminal, NVDA and JAWS 17 as available screen readers. I won't use Japanese there at all, so we don't have to worry about international/localization problems.
I'm now trying to use Emacs with the environment above.
Creating files seems to be an easy task. I press c-x c-f, then type the name of the new file, then enter to complete the creation.
Next, I type something like
#include <stdio.h>
void main(){
//whatever I want to do
}
This can be compiled as you would expect, but very irritating things start to happen when I try to add or edit something in this source.
NVDA speaks wrong curser position while editing in Emacs. JAWS says something like "fffffffffffffffff", which is completely useless.
Since it is very difficult to locate the curser, I break the source files in most cases. The more I try to fix it, the more it breaks.
Does anyone have a solution for this, or do you recommend a different editor?

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2016-10-24 20:31:06

If you are using windows 10, try enabling ubuntu on bash and using ssh from there. The accessibility of things like text editors is slightly better.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-10-25 07:04:45

Greettings!

For those of you who'd like to use of EMacSpeak on Windows, please check out this GitHub Project for info and download links.

By the way, the latest version of EmacSpeak , is version 44.0.

2016-10-25 11:55:37

Hi,

I think I understand your  problem in terms of NVDA. I have found a similar issue wherein the line reported by NVDA is a little off. Please note that  you must use the arrow keys in order for NVDA to speak the lines over an SSH session, as C-P and C-N do not speak for me. If your NVDA seems to be speaking the wrong line,  press Nnumpad-8 to here the current line; this works without fail in my experience.

2016-10-25 19:34:19

Also, does the BASH for Windows help NVDA with ncurses applications? If so, how?

2016-10-25 23:35:48

I was told by someone who does addon work in NVDA that the way that NVDA does cursor tracking uses a timer and it screws up in that over SSH. I have had the same kind of issues. An alternate method is to use sftp to pull the file down, make the edits, push it back up and then move it back where it should go.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-10-26 19:52:09

If you have SSH access, you probably have SFTP.
You can download WinSCP, add your server, then under Preferences/editor you can set the editor you want to use.
Then you can press f4 on a file to edit it, or shift f4 to create a new file.
Your local editor will open, and WinSCP will upload the file each time you save it.
Here is the documentation for WinSCP's editing features.

If you need to edit something on the system directly,
this is a bit more difficult.
Nano, Emacs and Vim should work, but neither NVDA nor JAWS are going to be very good at tracking the cursor, and they won't know anything about your editor's special commands for line/word/character navigation, etc).

The cursor won't always track properly, but if it moved, reading the character/word/line will read the correct thing (as long as caret moves review cursor (NVDA+6) is on, which it is by default).

Try Nano, it's the simplest editor.
If that's too simple, Emacs and Vim will work. However, it seems that in my testing, NVDA will sometimes read the mode line instead of the line that the cursor is on.
To fix this, I needed to cause the mode line not to update. For Emacs, it was M-x line-number-mode.
For Vim, :set noruler will work. These settings can be made permanent in your editor's initialization file.

I learned to edit with Ed. Some Linux distributions stopped including it by default, but it's completely accessible.
I don't have to deal with tracking the cursor, because there's no cursor. The arrow keys won't work. Instead, to fix something on the current line, I type something like s/char/int and press enter.

2016-10-28 05:11:20

Thank you everyone for the answers!
Yeah, I was using sftp to edit the files on my local machine, but I just thought it would be ideal if I could directly do that on the server.
Using winscp sounds nice. I'll try that next time.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.