2016-10-21 08:03:11

Well given some of the news outlets I observed in the states I'm not surprised, indeed last night my lady cheerd since in a phone call to her father she found he was no longer watching fox news, and I admit when I was over there having people tell me how brave I was for living in such a dangerous place as Britain and how I'd be wiser to stay in the us against the hoards of extremists that apparently populate the entirety of europe did sort of get a bit much big_smile.

Oh, and to everyone in the states,
That is one thing over here, the mandate of most actual tv and radio news is generally to attempt to be none biased, indeed their are regular clashes between the bbc and other news services and parliament on this point, albeit I do still try to check out alternative sources on stories which interest me or if I hear something too outragious, though I confess I am a little bad in that my news source is mostly the news on classic fm, who use their own reporters or teem up with sky tv, and only go elsewhere if there is a story that interests me.

Still, that is one major difference I noticed between media and news outlets in Britain and the states, over there pretty much every station had their own idiological axe to grind, where as over here there is at least an attempt! to be none biased and any news station which was felt to be pushing their own views would be regarded with suspicion.
Indeed this is why printed newspapers in Britain are generally looked down on and people wince if you mention papers like The Sun or The Mirror, ---- then again with The Sunm I fully agree any paper who's principle headline post election was "it's the sun what done it" and basically told everyone how great they themselves are (usually in ungrammatical prose), really got on people's nurves.

To actually try and steer this rattling offtopic train back on track, is the Ios news service any good? It's not something I've overly looked into, but it's probably something I should as I said, just to get a broader perspective.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-21 15:16:18

Yeah, most news services over here, especially the big networks like, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CNN, etc., are pretty biased. So when I do listen to news, it's generally from PBS, NPR, or the BBC.

2016-10-22 00:55:23

I would, myself include NPR and PBS in that list of biased per say. Of here, we have this thing about freedom of the press. That of course does not mean that the press is not biased. Of basically have learn to question every bit of news I get.  Not only of a question of what they are telling everyone, but it can be a question of  what they are not telling when it comes to the news. Add to that, how it is worded can affect the view point of the receiver of said news. If that is not bad enough, throw in facebook and twitter with their good and bad points and you have a little bit of a mess. One piece of advice I can give is that the first to a story may  be the first to get it wrong. Of course, checking plenty of sources is also a real good thing. Think of some of those tech stories that you see on the news that was not quite right. For example, if someone click on a link that they thought was the log in page of their bank account. Let go on to say that they were able to log in. Let’s going on to say that that log on page was not the login page of this person’s bank account. Most of us would know that clicking on links in email is not a good thing for the most part. On the other hand, a news reporter that might not know how computer type stuff works might say that that bank account I was talking about was hacked in to when the person who owned that account was tricked into giving up their username and password. Now to facebook going public, this is old news. Awhile back, they sold shares back a while. I do not remember when. One of the things that shareholders want is money. So, the more money that facebook makes, the happier the shareholders are. It does not matter how much you like that. The main way that facebook makes their money is by showing you ads. As far as I know, they use the info you give them to attempt to show you things that you will buy. This make include: pages you like, things you link to, posts you make, your age, your address, who you vote for if they have that info, and ETC. what, you do not like that? Facebook most likely does not care. You can use it or not as you wish. I mainly use it as an IM client. Grant it, it is a IM client with a board for all your friends to write on. HTH.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-10-22 01:38:10

Maybe so, but at least NPR and PBS isn't as obviously biased as the commercial networks are.

In truth, no news service is without some bias.

2016-10-22 04:30:06

I think that's true of all writing/reporting.  I try to silence my prefeerence as much as I can, which is an art I don't believe anyone can master.  I don't know who said it but I try to live by the idea that one must attempt to make points without making enemies.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-10-22 06:31:34

Well it's certainly true that no news service or indeed anything that anyone writes is ever completely unbiased, but there is a difference between services that try! to remain somewhat neutral, and services who are so keen on promoting a given group, religion or idiology that they actively distort the truth or down right lie.

Eg, Trump's claime that there are parts of London which have developed into war zones because of muslim extremists, which I did see backed up by fox news, but which is, ---- to be honest complete and total bollocks!
Now it is true that yes, London like many big cities has some areas where there is a lot of crime where your average on the beat copper would go with backup, eg, in pares or in a police car.
It is also true that London, like several cities in Britain has a large Muslim population and some places where there are muslim communities. However, firstly the idea that these two areas, ie, areas with high crime rate and areas where muslims live are one and the same is frankly a ridiculous leap of logic, and claiming that just because an area has a muslim community living in it it's full of extremists is about as bad a fiet of exaggeration as claiming that just because an area has a high crime rate and is a place where the police are a little wary is a "warzone"

Bad data plus two rounds of exaggeration equals a load of utter crap, but sadly utter crap which seemingly a lot of people in the states bought into.

The point of this rant is that yes, all news services are biased, but to actively construct stories to support a specific idiology out of exaggerations and factual mistakes as unfortunately Fox news seemed to, (I can't speak for the other stations since I didn't see them over there), is actively the opposite of the sort of objectivism that a "good" news service will at least attempt , even if they don't always succeed.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-22 16:02:36

Cities as war zones? I don't need to go over seas for that, nor does it take muslim or any other extremists either. Just ask the people who live in Chicago, which is suffering an extremely high murder rate along with what appears to be an ongoing gang war, right now.

2016-11-08 21:54:13

LOL, I feel sorry for you if you're dumb enough to believe that Facebook was ever a place of privacy. That is all.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.