2016-10-19 09:46:25

Hello. I was wondering if anyone here has been able to successfully use the McAfee  remover with a screen reader? i know there is a capcha but you can use knfb reader to get around it. I can't even use NVDA object nav to get around the windows of the program.

2016-10-20 13:59:48

Why the heck is there a captcha just to remove a program? Are you actually serious? Has a company actually dared to go that far?

2016-10-20 14:48:31

It is also the case with the norton remover. And it might be a good thing too, it prevents people from automating the process with autoit or something similar. But if you have mcafee on your laptop, I'm presuming you just got a new laptop and that your system is full of other bloatware. If this is the case, a recet is often the most effective way to deal with this kind of stuff.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-10-21 01:16:31

I do think that in the case of antiviruses, securing the uninstall with a captcha is actually a smart idea for most general mainstream users. A potential virus won't be able to just remove the antivirus in its way, you know. :-) But, of course, it's an accessibility nightmare and the master annoyance of all anoyances from our point of view. :-) Not to mention that trying to solve this problem with a captcha approach probably doesn't prevent every single possible scenario that a virus's makers could have thought of anyway.

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-10-21 10:53:03

Yes I did have it but I had someone remote in and remove it for me. I'd be fine with a capcha but they should at least offer an audio capcha.

2016-10-21 15:05:43 (edited by Figment 2016-10-21 15:08:36)

Ouch! As I recall from back when I used McAfee or Norton/Symantec, getting rid of their programs was almost as bad as getting rid of a virus! Never again!

Not only were their programs filled with unnecessary bloatware, they weren't very well rated as anti virus solutions. There are plenty of free anti virus programs that are far more effective.

2016-10-26 01:00:45

I agree, if use a captcha, then provide an audio or another accessible alternative such as Recaptcha. A lot of modern websites are already doing that using at least two or three different API's from different vendors as far as I know.

And I also agree in that I'm using Windows Defender, MRT and Windows Firewall just to feel I do have some security software running, but I generally just try to avoid suspicious e-mails and websites and haven't noticed any unwanted behavior or damage yet. :-)

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.