2016-10-19 04:44:16

Hello...
I was searching on google and in the audiogames.net database for the audio game maker, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone tell me where I can find it, and if it's not free, where the link to purchase the engine is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2016-10-19 08:16:05

Sadly the project never really got off the ground or sorted out correctly, indeed I don't think any games were ever made with it, indeed I recall people saying it was extremely buggy.

You might be able to find it on the wayback machine or similar, but really your probably better off either using a more modern and established game creation tool such as bgt, or perhaps creating some content for existing games such as tactical battle or sound rts maps, adventure at C stages, swamp campaigns or beatstar or rhythm rage packs.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-19 10:49:12

Agreed. Audio game maker, as I recall, is not as easy as you think it might be. If you want to make simple audiogames, which I presume because audiogame maker does not have any multiplayer support, bgt is your best option. If you want to create advanced audiogames, think rtr / soundrts / tactical battle, you will be better off with something with more widespread adoption outside of the vi comunity for example python. Keep in mind these are only my opinions

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-10-19 19:39:54

I think the reason for him asking was PG13.

Audio Game Maker is by no means a tool I would recommend to make games in. In fact, if you don't have a general idea on how to code stuff, getting off the ground with it is really hard. And, as Dark already mentioned, it's quite buggy.
That doesn't mean, however, that you can't do anything in it. Pitermach and I made functional games years ago. His was some side scroller Counter-Strike thing, I had a first person game with a few levels, including following elvis through a mine field. Yes it actually did work, however it's so long ago that I probably can't find it.

We do plan on streaming it though, to show off what you can actually manage to do in it. And once we do I'm sure we'll have a download link somewhere.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2016-10-19 21:48:47

I'd really love to try making games in BGT or Python, the problem I have though is that I'm 1 of those people who can't really read manuals and get the concept of the scripting program or programming language that easily. I have to have 1 on 1 phone or other audio conversations with people, and nobody really has the time to sit down with me and help me learn how to code. That's why I've tried so many times, failed, stopped for a bit and tried again and repeated the whole process again. It's been a problem that I've had for quite some time. That, and schooling every weak. I sort of thought the audio game maker was a cheep but easy way out, but I guess I was wrong about that. I've always wanted to learn python but could never even get the hang of BGT, that's why I haven't really coded a game yet.

TWITCH

2016-10-19 23:48:45

What is RTR?

2016-10-20 00:36:22 (edited by Dan Gero 2016-10-20 00:38:08)

RTR is the road to rage. It's made by dragon apps and you can view the info for the game and others at this link.

TWITCH

2016-10-20 03:46:00

Bartiméus Accessibility Foundation's Audio Game Maker.
http://www.audiogamemaker.com
I checked the link. It still works but the English version is down, so only the Dutch version is described.

Audio Game Maker Beta Release.
The Accessibility Foundation proudly presents the beta release of the Audio Game Maker, a free application which enables visually impaired people to make
their own sound-based computer games. Ta dah!

Audio Game Maker - Stichting Accessibility

The Accessibility Foundation.

Together with Universities and University colleges we work on

accessibility of games and digital tv. Accessibility has co-produced

accessible games, information
on game design principles, total immersion, user preferences, rfid for

user profiling, location information systems and soundmenus. The

results of our
research can be seen in real working games (proof of concept) like

Drive (audio racing game), Demor (3D audio game), Audio Game Maker

(software), Hoorspelmachine
(Radio play software), Submarine (one switch game) and a growing

number of smartphone apps. We are currently working on accessibility

of digital tv, apps
for iPhone and android, and on touchscreen interfaces. Here, technical

research and user testing with people with disabilities coincide.

2016-10-20 11:13:23

@Garret, unfortunately coding is sort of a necessary evil of game creation, there won't be a way around that however you go, and the only way to learn coding is! to read up and try the examples and such. I can't speak for Python since while a lot of people have praised it I don't believe many audiogames have been made with it specifically, (though I could be wrong), but you can see the results of Bgt in a lot of the better games we've had, going as far as complex things like Manamon or Crazy party.

There is however a rather nice alternative if you want to do creation in a less complex way, and that is as I said try making some maps or levels or mods for existing games, heck some mods have become complex enough to almost be separate games in themselves, like the max pain mod for superliam or the crazy mod forr Sound Rts, not to mention some of the longer Adventure at C stages.

I don't know if anyone would have more time to help you with swamp campaigns or the like, but it's something worth looking into if you want to make some games, and something people would appreciate.

@Phil, It's interesting that that site is planely modern but I haven't heard of any updates to audio game maker in about ten years, much less anything people have actually made with it, I wonder where the project is, perhaps someone who speaks Dutch could let us know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-20 15:31:25

SoundRTS is the prime example that I think of when people talk about games made in python.
And yes, you cannot make games without coding. Even with audio game maker it wasn't possible since a lot of the concepts they talked about were still closely related to programming.
RTR is my first person multiplayer shooter thingie mabob.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2016-10-20 19:14:34

Good point Ghorthalen, I'd forgotten that Sound Rts was actually written in python, something which I was aware of, I just completely forgot big_smile.

2016-10-21 00:41:51 (edited by Dan Gero 2016-10-21 00:45:36)

@dark, the main reason why I want to give python a go is because not only can it be used to make games with images which could get sighted people into playing games made by the blind, but it's platform versatility allows you to effectively get more people to play and purchase games that you make. I greatly appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions, however, the methods brought up have slight limitations. Adventure at C: stages are great but you can't make complex puzzles or traps in it. Modding Super Liam is great but you can really only get up to 7 levels in it so you basically have to keep your idea short. Sound RTS is very versatile if you want to make maps with extremely complex buildings and AI but not things like platformers. RTR is 1 of my ultimate favorite first person shooting games with very complex maps and ambiance, not to mention a top-of-the-line movement system, the only draw back I see is that you can really only make maps and no missions, although I don't think the game was really designed for that. Keep it up, I'd say it has the potential to become the next GTAV. All the games, ideas, and methods mentioned are all 1s that I like, and I thank everyone for them, but the methods don't expand far enough for the things that I'd like to make. I guess I'll try to take classes to get some coding skills. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

TWITCH

2016-10-21 03:16:27

I've been looking for a link for it for a while now. no luck.

2016-10-21 05:52:33 (edited by Figment 2016-10-21 05:54:37)

Here you are!

agm.zip

This is what I know:

* I downloaded this from somewhere last November. (Probably from a link somebody posted on these forums)

* So far, I have done nothing at all with it except to look inside the archive to see what was in it. It appears to be just a zipped up copy of the program's folder. Sorry, no installer, if there ever was one.

That's it! You are pretty much on your own with this.

I had completely forgotten that I had downloaded it, but ran across it while doing some house cleaning on my computer.

The download will take a while, the zip file is about 69MB and I'm hosting it on my Sendspace Pro account, and they meter your download unless you also have a Pro account and are logged in. All I can suggest here is to be patient!

Enjoy!

2016-10-21 09:15:07

@Garret, adding graphics to games is a lot more than just "adding immages" indeed if you wanted to make something like a full graphical game with audio access you'd be spending %90 of your time on the graphics and animations since graphics programming is a large part of game creation.
That aside, if indeed the methods with adventure at C stages, Swamp or rtr or sound rts maps etc are a little too limited, then you probably will have to learn coding either in python or bgt or something for what you want.

Good luck.

2016-10-21 12:35:13

If you want to learn python,
https://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
is a very good book teaching you the basics. This is just a generic book, so you won't find anything with sound, for example. If you want to learn bgt, The language tutorial is absolutely the best way to learn it.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-10-21 20:18:51

Thanks you guys for the help, I really do appreciate it. I shall look over these when ever I can, I do have some free time right now.

TWITCH