2016-10-18 12:02:57

Hi.

I actually didn't know you could make a fire, that is cool. Making a skewer might be nice too if your caught in the woods and needed to cook in a hurry.
glad about the editions and that the elemental is a little less likely to slaughter people, :d.

Another random suggestion occurred to me looking at the game, and that is ratial advantages.
I wouldn't suggest Frandum do the "Well dwarves are stupider than elves so can't progress as far in magic" type of route, but it might be fun if each race had a little tweak which altered their gameplay or progression, not something so as to seriously affect the game or what a person can do (since if someone wants to be a wise orc mage there's no reason they shouldn't be), however just something to reflect the different past of the races and give a point to playing such.

I'd suggest something like the following.

Human: Less affected by heat and cold, gains more exploration points when wandering around (humans being more adaptable than other races), possibly a miner speed increase to learning skills, though a very miner one, say a %5 faster, than average across the board humans being sort of jack of all trades.

High elf: has more spellpoints (perhaps an extra quarter more than a human), and can learn wizardry, mental shield, spell focus,  weaving, and knitting a bit faster, perhaps %10. You might also consider giving them an extra ability, for example the ability to meditate and regain spellpoints more quickly than normal resting or sleeping reflecting their connections with magic and lore.

Sylven elf: Gains a quarter more spellpoints like a high elf, however is %10 faster at learning wilderness lore, site and the bow and spear weapon, also carpentry and leather working (sylven elves being as I understand more about nature and less about studdying ancient lore and magic), it'd also make sence if sylvens got better at things like tracking, though not adventuring skill specifically since the amount the adventuring skill affects in the game improvements in it could be a bit too! overpowering as a race advantage. You could also consider letting sylvens regain hp more quickly in forests.

Dwarves: Gain more hp, (perhaps an extra %10), and learns forging, combat, offensive, haggling, maces and axes %10 faster, another fun advantage for dwarves might be paying over all less or getting more for their loot since they can appraise the value of things better than other races.

Orc: Gains a quarter more hp like dwarves, plus learns leather working, combat, and offensive %10 faster, (it'd also be good if they could improve more quickly at tracking or butchering), however can regain more hp when eating or taking potions. Another fun ability for orcs might be the ability to just snack on corpses they find to regain health, perhaps without cooking them first orcs not being too particular about their food.

Sibeis: Gains both %10 more hp and spellpoints, and learns wizardry, wilderness lore, city lore, mental shield and spell focus %10 faster (the entry on the site said they were into gaining knolidge). One rather fun ability for Sibeis might be the ability to use the "light" command without having a torch. I don't know if they actually breathe fire like a dragon, but if they could for example light their breath and give a quick blow to see where they were, that could be a very handy extra and make the game rather interesting, which indeed is mostly what I was thinking in race terms, not actually changing the journey over all so much as saying "here's a little quirk to play with to give a slightly different slant on things).

The same could go for other races if added, eg, MErelves could have no penalties for swimming, or goblins could be particularly good at looting and stealing (I did consider suggesting this for the orcs, but orcs are a bit hefty to do pick pocketing and the like).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-18 21:27:56

Although I like the principle of the idea, I will be probably not implement it for the moment. It does feel more realistic, but it introduces a distortion, even if a slight one. That means a risk for unbalancing and a risk for players to torture themselves thinking "ow crap, I chose orc, but maybe if I restart as a drow I can benefit from this or that minor advantage...". Let's leave the races  be there for flavor and languages for the moment (there are still quite a few leftovers from previous discussions in terms of new features)

2016-10-18 22:31:47

Well fare enough if you think that fits better with the game, though personally while I am really not into racial disadvantages or minimaxing, I actually rather like having a racial advantage or miner quirk to play with just to remind me that I am! that race, indeed this is largely why I chose human since it really didn't seem to matter to me where as having an addvantage might have made me consider the choice a bit more. Also of course, If you made the racial advantages more in the manner of specific editions each race started with you might even consider letting characters earn those abilities later through quests given by each race, indeed rather than the above suggestions about certain races gaining skills mor quickly, you might just have it that certain races start! with some skills at higher levels to reflect their early life and racial culture.

So, a dwarf would start with haggling at 5 and axes at 5, but obviously other races would catch up soon, and even if the dwarf had the ability to get better prices for goods, other races could learn that ability by doing a dwarven quest.

As I said, this is your game and your decision, it was just that racial changes were something that occurred to me.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-20 18:09:42

ah hello dark. i did help you some, but didn't mean to confuse you. you had two quests running. but your hunch about the city was right, the other quest you had was near the farm. sorry for the confusion

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2016-11-03 16:49:48

Hi all,

Thought I might post a small update on novelties as discussions about quests and features have moved in-game.

The craft system has been tested, approved and extended (e.g. crafted wooden things will have different characteristics depending upon the essence of wood used). Bows and crossbows have been made more natural: you will now need arrows / bolts to deal the full damage.

It is also at last possible to reset an area instead of having to wait for everyone to reset the whole world. Furthermore, command aliases are now implemented in Frandum. Eventually, miscellaneous changes include information on kingdoms in directions, easier manipulations of items in containers, more diversified invocation possibilities, new items, shops and quests...

Focus will now be put more on new content and areas, until you guys pour new ideas all over the place!

2016-11-03 21:38:55

That our high speed coder.:)

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2016-11-04 03:17:54

Okay, so I started playing again today, had to start over but that's okay because I got a little more than I did before. I'm not sure what to do about the bar. The basement only has beer and stuff but nothing else that I can see that could be important.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-11-04 03:29:54

Remember to look, search, get hints on every possible thing down there. some things are not mentioned exclusively out of the description.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2016-11-04 05:29:47

Oh, thanks. smile

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-11-04 11:02:27

Hi there,
It seems you made it through the bar, congrats! I also answered in game your other question.
Good luck!

2016-11-04 13:04:40

Lol, classic rules for Frandom are rather like classic interactive fiction rules, look at anything that isn't nailed down, or indeed anything that is and try to push, pull or move it big_smile. Fortunately in Frandom the number of object interaction verbs is actually sane, I recall one very irritating experience where I spent ages trying to get some stuff inside a large fireplace, and after trying all varients of look in fireplace, get all fireplace, enter fireplace, crawl into fireplace, it eventually turned out the single only correct command was "in"
This is why I don't play classic If anymore, since for every great game I found, i tended to run into five more where I'd be utterly stuck trying to do something like "put box on table" to be told "I don't know how to put" or something like that.

I've been a trifle busy with my doctorate and other things, but I do want to get back to Frandum and see if I can find that dam Eucalyptus forest for the quest, and also do my innitiation into the church of galahir.

2016-11-07 04:59:37

Okay, can anybody give hints as to where/who I'm supposed to be looking for in Agnor to solve the first rittle about Agnor? I found the note written to Truth, am I supposed to be looking for that wizard?
Thanks!

2016-11-08 13:23:00

@Orin: the person you are looking for is quite obvious, but maybe you did not visit all the rooms in the city itself? No need to get into the castle for this quest.

@Dark: indeed it never occured to me that Frandum could be similar to an interactive fiction, given the complete set of RP features, but since our goal is to tell a story and make you feel like you belong into a consistent and original world, it does make kind of sense. When you come back you will be glad to notice that the paladins guild has just opened for followers of Galanhir (in order to right an ancient wrong as this was the only missing alignment guild).

A major and vast high-level area is also entering its final stages of building, but you still have time before the riddles will send you there, eh eh.

2016-11-08 13:31:13

What quest do you need hints with? There're several quests in agnor.

2016-11-11 03:56:23

When I read the scroll in the farmhouse, it was marked in my diary but does not seem to be there anymore. Where should be marked as in the diary?
Also, what is the command to see how much of an area I've explored and how many qps I have left to get? Still looking for the person I have to see in the city but it looks as though I've explored a good bit of it.

2016-11-11 07:30:16

area and tnl, and for diary, are you sure you've looked  at every entry?

2016-11-11 09:31:55

@orin the spell riddles are under spells / secret of new spells (type diary home first if you're somewhere else in the diary). Don't forget the mission command that sums up all unfinished main quests. Eventually, you should explore the eastern part of the city: there is someone who matches exactly the description of the riddle. Cheers!

2016-11-11 18:43:51

Hello!
Ist the game down? It is really exciting from what I read. Also, is there a plot that I can follow to finish the game or whatever it is called or I just need to do for example 500 quests.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2016-11-11 23:37:48

@everyone: due to a change to add "finger / whois" information, the game crashed whenever a new player connected for the first time. This has been fixed, our most sincere apologies.

@nuno69: There is a plot to follow to finish the game through 20 level quests and 20 spells quests. Indeed the game starts with a mystery and only by following the main quests will you get to the bottom of it. I have to warn you, though, that you will probably need to do other quests along the way to have enough points to go up to the next levels. But side quests will give more spells, allow you to rank in guilds for skills, lead to magic items or valuable stuf, so they are not here just for show.

2016-11-11 23:51:19 (edited by Orin 2016-11-12 02:34:13)

Okay, the mission command tells me that I missed the Nothing spell. Can anyone give me hints as to where to get that? I was doing the Novice rittle earlier, and I got the secret of the spell about the Envokers Knowledge, however it still says the novice rittle is unfinished. Will it be finished when I get the spell, or was their something else I was supposed to do at the Farmlands of Hope? As far as the Nothing spell, I was pretty sure I completed the tutorial completely, which that's the nothing level. I was also having some difficulties in Midwood, E.G. catching the bear, so just figured I'd move onto something else. The nothing rittle is about the temple, but yet I missed a spel there? The area command says I got everything.
Edit: Is it possible to farm goins in this game? I unfortunately don't have any and had to resort to going into the temple to grab the torch from there to explore the Barney's Bar sellar.
Speaking of torches, it says in the secret room "The southern room looks friable." How do I burn it, as "Light wall" says it can't burn that way.
Edit2: I found the chest room in the tutorial temple. I didn't know there were hidden objects and things after the tutorial... Where is the key to this chest? I figured it'd be on the guard but maybe not.
Edit3: okay, so I got the nothing spells. Now it says the novice rittle is unfinished still, but I've already solved it by getting the Envokers Knowledge spell secret. I hope that once i see who I have to see in Agnor, the Novice rittle will be completed and I can go and get the amature quest.
Edit again" Okay, I solved it. Ugg I wish I had looked at everything in there the first time.

2016-11-12 04:25:02

You issed something for sure (the same mistake as I did), or may be you just...didn't look at that gift from the guard...

2016-11-12 04:51:46

Now I have to get to the Volcano that the farmer found. Anybody know of some good weapons etc to get? I hope what the rittle means is past the river on the other side to the east, but I got killed by an Orc while exploring over there. The danger spell helps but not if I don't have a weapon lol.

2016-11-12 05:33:23

Buy one from arnold, or if you're lucky enough to get stuff from agnor, that'd be nice too.

2016-11-12 09:20:58

@orin:  so only the volcano "left"? This is the good area, you just have to be careful and avoir danger by moving quickly or hiding until you find it. To get goins the easiest is to grab things and sell them at a pawn brokers (there is one in most cities / villages). Btw we should move in game for questions via report / mail in order to limit the spoilers here. Good luck!

2016-11-12 11:37:20

Man! I love this type of game play!
I just wanted to know if everything will be linked to something other. And a little suggestion: Add an ability to type for example diary nofilter to display the whole diary without rubrics

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com