2016-10-13 09:12:57

Hi all. Does anyone know of any recovery utilities? I ran what seemed to be useful programs, calculator and sapi voice checker, from Sam's FTP server, stupid move I know, I guess I'm just used to programs that aren't designed to do things like that, Mac and Linux effect I guess. Anyways, it seems to have deleted my whole user folder, or at least everything within it. Windows seems to have regenerated the main folders, downloads and such, but I have no idea what the thing did otherwise, or could have done. So, any way to fix this? Or, if not, any way to accessibly reinstall Windows? I had plenty of stuff saved, some games, music, books, barely anything I created myself, but I'd hate to have to redownload everything. Plus, all my app icons are gone from the desktop, so yeah. No more using FTP servers or anything like that again. May Discordia take the one that programmed that app.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-10-13 14:37:46

Okay, Windows Restore helped bring back most stuff.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-10-13 14:59:07

The first rule of computers is, If it's important, make a copy, It it's really important, make a couple of copies.

Your answer to your question should have been to automatically readch for your latest backup, without bothering to ask about recovery tools.

Sure there are some, some are pretty good, some aren't worth the disk space they take up. But not a single one of them can ever match the certainty of recovering your files like a backup can.

2016-10-13 17:52:38

Well, I suppose I should go buy an external hard drive at some point. I don't have one of those, and backing up files on the same drive that they're on is rather pointless, and online storage platforms are rather pointless as well, since if a virus deletes the stuff in that folder, it's gone too.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-10-13 21:01:30

hello friend  use recua  it wil back up your photos sounds songs videos but   ad me on skype i will hehelp you its iloveprajwal

2016-10-14 01:19:16

What I'd recommend you do is to get a desktop hard drive and put it inside a usb enclosure. I have a seagate desktop 2tb hd, with 8gb of nandflash storage.

2016-10-14 07:13:15

The stuff on Sams server in that one folder seemm to almost all be coded in BGT. If you want something like a tts voice lister, take this code for example. Everything else seemss pretty easy to make. Sorry if this is off topic for this room.

tts_voice t;
void main()
{
string[] voices=t.get_voice_names();
for(uint i=0; i<voices.length(); i++)
{
alert("Voice "+i,voices[i]);
}
}

2016-10-15 00:09:27

I have to agree with Figment. Recovery tools might work in situations where there's absolutely no other option. But the most talented programmer in the world with all the time in the world couldn't write such a program that would work as well as the simple knowledge that all your important stuff is stored on another drive. When it comes to stuff you have that can be somewhat easily obtained again, it's a good idea to back it up. When it comes to stuff you created yourself, especially if you haven't given this stuff to anyone else, backup, backup your backups, and backup the backups of your backups! Never trust any one hard drive to store the only copy of anything. Any drive can fail at any time, possibly with absolutely no warning, and with no way of ever getting your data back.