2016-10-03 17:28:31

Hi everyone,
When I last played this MUD, the mush client bundle in development for the blind was in testing stages. I was testing it with a few players, but it wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Sapi is handy by default now as they've got important events triggered in groups for things like people who are getting low on health and need healing, when specific spells have expired such as blindness, and the mapper works better now.
Sapi also speaks MXP alerts, which in the case of this mud is alerts that immortals think you should know about when fighting specific bosses as hints to defeat them. There are others as well.
The Materia Magica new owners seem very intent to make accessibility a priority, as even in this upcoming reboot they are going to make reagent management easier for those either using a screen reader or mobile devices.

Here's an article that was just written in Vice about MM's recent accessibility changes.
http://www.vice.com/read/materia-magica … t-only-rpg

2016-10-04 11:24:17

does this mud have a sound pack? if so whats the link

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2016-10-04 11:30:39

Yes,  it does. Lol  did you read the post ? smile
From what I gather, the link is either on their website, and I believe there is one if you follow the article link .

2016-10-04 15:50:59

Is the crystal guild accessible? I never did figure out how to use that plugin.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2016-10-04 20:44:18

is it playable on vipmud? i know the soundpack works with it but I'm not certain of some extras, though I am now relieved that the problems with marks and quests are apparently fixed.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-05 07:37:06

I have always played it on VipMud so it's accessible there.

2016-10-05 14:24:30

Ah, good to know.

What is the game like now? Is there more than just hack n slash?  do you get to do anything in the random wilderness? I do remember liking the look of the game but when i played it was just irritating with the level limits on marks. it took me three goes through lasler to get what was there, then when i finished lasler I wondered around in the forest and then suddenly "woopse! you've leveled yourself past! doing these marks, sorry!"

I then went to the city and tried random quests, but given they all had ridiculously short time limits I'd get a quest and then run around like a headless chicken trying to find one location on an absolutely gigantic map, and usually fail. So all in all the game was an exercise in major frustration, since the choice seemed to be either sitting there with a guide constantly open to try and get the marks (which really kills exploration), or missing most of everything, indeed for all the vaunted activities the game seem to devolve to a simple hack n slash kill fest since doing anything other! than the hack n slash kill festing was so difficult.

Admitedly, this was a good four or five years ago and I know considerable work has gone into the game since then, and the developers did modify things with quest timers etc, still with games like frandum and some of the good muds we have now I'd like to be sure I know what I'm getting before starting another really major mud.
I also confess it's likely that Materiamagica sticks a little in my craw since it was the first mud I ever played. I got really enthusiastic, really! wanted to get deep into the game, loved the website mentions of the underground ocean and ships and such, even really enjoyed death, started up Vipmud and got used to muds, loved the elemental effects and atmosphere, and then woopse! found there really wasn't much that I could actually discover or do for myself without scuppering my own game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-05 16:15:59

Jaws doesn't seem to be reading for some reason. It works with NVDA, but that's not exactly my primary screenreader. Guess I can use it if needed.

2016-10-05 21:46:29

What style of game is it?  JRPG? MMORPG?  *Shrugs*

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2016-10-05 23:12:48

It's a mud, see This database page for a description and details.

2016-10-06 02:12:58

i use jaws with mushclient, so seeing the post above about jaws, does this mud work jaws or not?

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2016-10-06 03:13:26

the article was quite nice. Good to see that put effort into this. I got the sound pack with the mush client bundled in it. But when i start it, jaws can't read anything, any help, does it have special commands? I tried putting in the output functions but it gave me an error, so if anyone can help, it will be appreciated.

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2016-10-06 09:22:37

Materia Magica works great with Jaws on VipMud, and I would imagine MushClient too.
It's my main screen reader, so I've never used any other to play.

@Dark,
I ran into a bit of the same problem, about trying to find things to do the first time I played.
But I think it's somewhat better now.
Did you have a sextant when you played? It gives you the coordinates for where you are, and where other locations are, so it's easy to know if you are going in the right direction.
I think they have added some commands to use, so that you don't level out of getting the marks, but I can't remember the specifics about them.
I would say it's worth another go if you are interested.

2016-10-06 15:35:29

@Mirage, let me know if there are things to do  when you finish Lasler. I do remember hearing there was a marklist command to get details of nearby marks, but whether it prevents you levelling past them (which is a really silly mechanic), I don't know, indeed when I raised this on the mailing list for materiamagica one person said "well your not supposed to get all the marks" which is really odd, since what's the point in having these achivements in game if your not going to get them anyway?  Likewise, while I could! just sit and play with the wiki oipen and look the marks up, that's really not much fun in exploring terms either.

The Sextant was in when I tried, but the problem I was having with auto generated quests was a little more specific than the sextant could help with since I'd get the prince or king of the city telling me something like "go and take this letter to the baker" and have to do it within 10 minutes, with no idea where the baker was, which just got irritating.

Like diskworld I'm sure there's a good game in there somewhere with lots of stuff to do, it just seemed that when I tried other than randomly just running around and killing anything that moves there wasn't much else to do that didn't require in game knolidge not accessible to new players. Then again that was quite some time ago and I do recall we had one of the developers on this forum who made some major changes to the game based on feedback, including removal of those annoying timers on autoquestsso I'm interested to see how people get on, albeit I'm playing Frandum at the second and as I recall character creation in materiamagica is something of a tortuous process,particularly getting all the race and class stats to lign up correctly, since I do recall someone (it might have been bladestorm), saying that if you don't stat your characters right in this game you can be really! stuck later on.

2016-10-06 15:36:55

JAWS doesn't read anything unless you put it on read all, but then it reads everything and that includes stuff from like rooms before which slows you down. Not sure how to fix it to where it reads normally.

2016-10-06 17:06:02

@Death, like Mirage I personally would recommend vipmud over mushclient since I found the configuration and such far easier to deal with, indeed the only time I use mushclient is with the MushZ addon, and I do know Vipmud outputs to jaws streight off by default so you shouldn't have any of these problems with the game.

2016-10-07 00:43:23

I don't understand why Jaws doesn't read. I though MushReader worked with Jaws, which is what the bundle uses for screen reader output.
As for things to do after Lasler, an entire area was created called Rune Forest. Quests and marks abound in there, with two different factions quests to undertake. The Maliquite Golem faction questline and the Rabid Wolf Faction questline.
Rune Forest is actually right off of the Lasler Trail. I like VipMud, however I like the bundle because
1. NVDA is my primary screen reader on Windows.
2. Sounds and everything is set up already.
3. The automapper and speedwalk manager greatly increase the MM experience toofold for me. No more getting lost.
4. The tutorial command presents 20+ tutorials on how to utalize the bundle's built-in features, including a plugin to help out with Crystals. I see people putting Crystal pastebin links up all the time on the Sight Impaired relay channel.
On a side note, I'd play Frandum if there were more people on. I'm at a loss for what to do there right now. I'm the one that recommended it and now it just feels lonely on there still.

2016-10-07 06:41:46

when I played you could get sounds in vipmud, though the rest do sound like custom plugins.

I did hear rune forest was updated for new players, though again if you can actually find! the marks and quests and such without getting either leveled passed them just by slaying random wildlife or running out of time that would be good.

As to frandum, it's a  shame there aren't more people on there, a secondary purpose I thought of giving the game a db entry. I am on myself occasionally, though i've not been today, however I'd love to see more players, especially with devs as responsive as this.

2016-10-12 21:45:35

Few things here:

1. Marks are like achievements. They aren't quests. They're basically there for bragging rights. You're not supposed to get all the marks (some are mutually exclusive, some are based on your race or class). Levelling out of Lasler before you do all the stuff there is much harder now than it used to be, but honestly your game isn't totally screwed if you miss a mark. I feel like you're making a bigger deal out of this than you need to. I've played MM off and on for years, and rarely had this issue nor noted it.
2. Quests can and often are tightly timed, it's true. So this is why it's a good idea to really explore the city and surrounding area first before you start taking quests. I usually start in Rune. Rune is pretty easy to get around in, and you probably won't get randomly PK'd while running around. Ask for a quest from Lord Agrippa, or whatever his name is, and see if you can do it. Remember, of course, that the idea is that you're not necessarily going to be able to do every single quest the first time. You obviously want to succeed more than you fail, but if you explore first and then quest, you'll have a better time. Honestly, both the complaints about quests and those about marks have a backward feel to them. The reason you had an issue is because you 1. tried to rush (in the case of marks) or 2. tried to get quests in an area you weren't familiar with. Many of the quests have perfectly good reasons for being timed (Agrippa wants a birthday cake and you need to go to the baker to fetch it, obviously that's probably not going to be viable forever), and many of the marks are simply not a challenge if you do them at higher levels than those suggested. Honestly, I have never, ever levelled out of Lasler without doing all the marks there without having deliberately run around trying to grind experience in there, and now that the level limit is even higher, there should be fewer issues yet.
3. Rune Forest will take you well into the 30s or low 40s. That area has been there for awhile, but now it's much more newbie-friendly. There are several bosses, a couple of hidden areas, and a whole ton of quests.

Frankly, the reason I don't normally play MM is because it's huge and unwieldy for me. It feels extremely grindy. That complaint, at least, I can get behind. I feel like it's a slog till you become an archon, and after you become an archon it's a whole different sort of slog. That, and I'm not a huge fan of PK, which is one of the game's apparent strong points. I love a lot of the bits and pieces of MM, I just don't love the way they're executed a lot of the time.

This new mushclient thing looks nice though. I may (key word, may) dust this off and have another go.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2016-10-12 23:32:22

I actually prefer to have things scripted my way when it comes to mm. iI don't really like how the mushclient bundle provided is set up. This includes dealing with the voice of my screen reader and then sapi at the same time and find that some quests or marks have so limited timer. So many times I restarted. So many times I tried to figure over and over. Adding my own trigger to the pack seems sucky because of all the previous codes there and the way the wp windows are moddified. It's a really cook looking mud though. If not for the fact above, it could really come to be one of my top.

I might give it a go again since it gets changed. Just might though. I'm not sure.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2016-10-13 09:07:07

@Jayde, the problem with the marks and quests is basically that firstly, even when I did! explore and look at the area the bloody quests didn't work out (on one occasion I was told to go to a completely different area), and secondly if I don't get marks there really didn't seem much to do besides wander around and slay random wildlife.

It actually annoyed me, the game has a list of features half a mile long, pretty good writing and descriptions, lots of potentially really interesting systems like multiclassing, ships  and random wilderness, and yet once out of Lasler basically it seemed to boil down to wandering about and hitting things over and over again for no reason, and the few things that actually seemed to have a point to them besides grinding I'd already gone past.
It's not that I mind things which are not possible on first remort, cleft of dimentions and Aardwolf actually account for this by having too many quests to do at one run through, however you still get enough quests on the way through to actually keep the game interesting, (well I assume you do in cleft of dimentions though when i tried I had a little trouble finding the quests theree).

Basically it seemed with materiamagica that unless you stood there with the wiki open all you could ever find to do was grind grind grind and then be told you'd ground too much to get other stuff, which is frankly just plain depressing. Compare this to alter where you can these days just quest your way through the game to the point it doesn't even feel grindy, and you'll see what I mean.

I did think though that some work had been done on this a little more recently, with other stuff to do, commands to find marks without going past them and some changes in quest timers, so if someone who is playing now could confirm if there are! actually more things to do besides slay monsters and then be punished for slaying too many monsters that would be good.

2016-10-13 11:32:27

Like I say, Dark, I never had your issue, not really.
Oh sure, I probably levelled past a mark or two, or failed a few quests, but I've never had the Lasler issue, and I can confirm that you're booted out at level 20 now instead of 15. This is way, way more than enough time to do all the marks there, and you're also led there much more deliberately. The marks have been sort of built into a quest framework that means it's nearly impossible to miss them. Rune Forest is the same, though thtere might be one or two that are a bit more hidden there.

I agree with you about Alter Aeon though. It's very quest-driven - or can be, for the first while - and I prefer that to hours upon hours of hack-and-slash. AA is still hack-and-slash but at least there's a goal to it in most places. Little mini-dungeons you plough through to get to a boss so you can finish the quest.

But yes. Generally I can confirm even as recently as a year ago that it's better than it was in, say, 2009-2010. Were I you, I'd give it another go, Dark, because while the grindy aspect is still there to some extent, it's not quite so prevalent at earlier levels, and the quests/marks you can do before level 60 are quite interesting. A couple are kind of nasty though, so watch it. In particular there's an area where you absolutely must look ahead and watch your step, because there's a mob that auto-kills you if you step into the room with it. I hate that area, but it's interesting, and there's a good in-game reason for it, so it's copable.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2016-10-13 13:29:15

@Jayde, I'll admit I'm a real sucker for quests. Simply wandering around killing things for the sake of levelling doesn't appeal to me, but have an npc tell me to go and defeat the goblin king and I'll explore every inch of the goblin caves and gladly slay as many goblins as you like big_smile.

Actually I've been loving alter recently for this reason, I'm level 22 in my primary class and haven't had to grind for the sake of grinding once.
I think though this is what undid me in materiamagica since I naturally tend to wander around and poke at things, and if I have something to slay along the way I'll slay it, certainly this was what kicked me out of Lasler the first run (I had barely done half of the stuff there). when I tried again I did get everything in Lasler, got booted out at level 12, was level 30 in Rune forest when I found I'd buggered myself out of the marks, and then sat around trying to do quests and failing in rune city, i think I was level 33 or so before i gave up entirely.
That was however in 2010 or so, and I do know a lot of work has been done on the game since then, and I do recall the developers being sensative to my comments on these issues.

I'd be interested to know how the game is now and what stuff there is! to do.

Unfortunately at the second I'm a little busy since we've had a slue of good games recently, but I'll keep an eye on mm and next time I fancy a mud I'll try it,I'll certainly be interested in anyone's experiences, especially with things beyond the hacknslash.

2017-03-08 23:38:48

Friend of mine told me about this mud and I'll check it out.  The mushclient pack looks kinda small though, is it good?  I'm unsure if the vipmud link on the site is a pack or just a link to the client, is their a better sound pack for either client that I should use?

2017-03-09 00:17:29

I'm blaak on there and can help if anyone has  issues.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.