2016-10-06 03:16:28 (edited by G-Rad 2016-10-07 19:08:56)

Hey everyone, this may be a bit lengthly, but I thought I'd share for those of us that do audio recording and are looking for a good accessible setup.

First of all, I want to let you all know I've been doing audio production for about 20 years now (I am 34 years old) and have worked on many studio and live applications prior to losing my eyesight.   However, I started wondering if I could use the setup I'm familiar with, and be able to keep working, since I've lost my vision.  Sure enough, I reached out to a fellow user of the same software, and we started working together on a program that actually allowed me to do just that using a Playstation Four controller.   By working together, I mean, he programmed it, I tested it, for he had no way of knowing, since He didn't have the hardware.  Needless to say, between this plugin, and NVDA, I have full access to my recording software directly, including it's plugins, both VST and DFX.

The software is Cakewalk Sonar X3 Producer Edition, and the plugin is called EZ Controller.  The controller plugin has many presets the guy created, but mine was specifically made for a PS4 controller, and it's plug and play right out of the box.

To set this all up, you will need:
Cakewalk Sonar X3 Producer Edition
EZ Controller with Game Controller preset
Playstation 4 controller
Two sound cards; one for screen reader/speech, and one for recording
Sapi5 installed on your device of choice.

I cannot confirm if this works with any other edition of Sonar, but I don't see why it won't.  Also, I cannot assure that any other game controller will be mapped the same, but I'm sure you can use any other controller, if you desire.

The setup:
1. If you already bought and installed Sonar X3, then that part is done, but if not, you need to purchase and install Sonar, NVDA will allow  accessible install dialog

2. Download EZ Controller and the game controller plugin from here:
http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,2 … ml#msg1312
There will be a list of button controls and installation instructions there.

Just follow thew instructions on the page.
After which, close out the windows, and close Sonar, connect your PS4 controller via USB to the PC.  Don't worry about trying to set it up with any other software like DS4Windows or anything, I didnt' set up with that.  It will find it just fine without that and give full functionality via USB.

Note: The plugin outputs directly to SPI5 without the screen reader, so you may hear two different voices if you are not using the same voice for both.  You need a second sound card so that way you can control the recording side of things, and have speech for yourself.   This will cause less confusion, if you're recording other musicians.

The things you cannot control with the game controller, you can adjust or control with keyboard shortcuts.

Nonetheless, this seems like a lot of reading, and I'm sorry, but I thought I'd share.   Here's a youtube video of me showing off the setup.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrerTqQ3pJs

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2016-10-06 09:55:43

Hi.
Dang sounds quite complicated for someone like me who always wanted to start recording and producing audio, but it sounds quite interesting to be honest.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-10-06 18:47:03

It's not that difficult actually.   it seems tedious, but a vast majority of the time taken to set it up would be Sonar installing.  Otherwise, the whole process to intergrate the controller would take less than a minute or two.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2016-10-08 16:56:24

Hi G-Rad,
This is really fantastic!
Thanks heaps for sharing, very interesting. As a producer is always interesting to hear what others use, as well as how. I don't use Sonar, bust still really want to mess with this.
Thanks again for sharing.

2016-10-08 18:19:35

Daw. Or digital audio workstation. Everyone who would be interested in this sort of thing would know what is meant by DAW. Figment, why are you getting so bent out of shape over this. You don't see people going off on someone for making a thread title that only a coder would understand, Why do you get to do that here? As for the ps4 controler being used as a controler interface, I love it. I once saw an artist use a Wiimote as a midi controler on stage.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-10-08 21:04:59

Hello!
For those, and I know there are a lot of people out there, who don't have the money nore the time to obtain Cakewalk Sonar, I use a much cheaper and lightweight solution that works as good if not better.
You don't need 2 soundcards, just need 1 builtin computer soundcard and an external audio interface. Setup Reaper with ReaAccess, piping all Reaper sounds through the audio interface while having the wrest of your computer sounds going through your builtin computer soundcard.
You can use control surfaces, vst controlers, midi controlers, etc with Reaper. I've been doing it for quite a while now, and am around to answer any questions people may have. Just PM me, I can't promiss that I'll reply right away though.
Thanks!

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2016-10-08 21:23:53

RE Access is out of date... Osara is the much more current reincarnation of many of the features found in RE Access. I use Reaper as well... and love it.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-10-08 21:28:21

I also use Reaper with OSARA and love it to bits. I used to use Sonar before I switched to full time NVDA usage.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2016-10-09 22:13:46

I've heard mixed reviews about OSARA, though have never decided to try it myself. ReaAccess still works great though despite it being out of date, and I don't see its support with Reaper ending any time soon.

2016-10-10 15:44:22

Hi Dgleks
I was a sonar user many years ago when I was at university back in 2007.
I want to start again using something mainly for producing midi music.
Does reaper come with any midi instruments like sonar?
I don't want anything fancy. I would use the microsoft synth if there wasn't delay with it. Otherwise I don't mind the sound of it.
Nikos

Visit www.freesound.org/people/NikosDemetriou/sounds/ to hear some of my recordings.

2016-10-10 18:11:59

@nikosdemetriou
Reaper does come with midi support, and a good looking one at that. It doesn't really come with its own instruments, except for ReaSynth which is just used as a getting started vst and ReaSampler, their own builtin in sampler.
If you're using midi, I suggest buying a keyboard/midi controler. I'm using a Yamaha PSRE443 right now with Reaper, but those are a bit pricey so you might just want to buy a normal midi controler. As long as you're using an external audio interface for your output device and are using the Asio driver with a good value for buffering you should be good as far as delay goes.
If you want more explanation, feel free to hit me up personally or post back here!
Thanks!

2016-10-11 04:46:59

My second sound card is my interface, sorry about that.  Tascam US-1800.   They have a newer version of it, but mine's doing just fine.   
  Reaper is definitely a great DAW, especially for those on a budget, but it just feels, to me, that it lacks in areas Sonar covers.  But, I'm sure some things can be said both ways.

Nonetheless, it's all about what the user likes and can work with.   I just thought I'd initially share this, since it's compatible with the later versions, past 8.5, including platnum, which has been confirmed. 

ALso, I'd like to mention that with the plugin, you can control and adjust VSTs. like Ozone, Guitar Rig,  etc.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2016-10-11 15:11:15

Hi again Dgleks
Thanks for your answers.
How much do audio interfaces cost?
As I didn't use these kind of things for many years I am like a beginner again.
And when I was at university other people set sonar for me up so I learned only how to use it.
I think I was using it with an edirol ua09 usb soundcard if I remember right and a midi keyboard. I had the screen reader coming out through the primary soundcard and sonar through the edirol.
Maybe I still have this sound card around.
But I don't know anything at all about instruments since sonar came with a few of them and I didn't look for anything more.
Nikos

Visit www.freesound.org/people/NikosDemetriou/sounds/ to hear some of my recordings.

2016-10-11 21:26:04

A user interface can cost anywhere from $50 USD  and up.     Just depends on what you're looking for.   My Tascam US-1800 costed me $200 USD and it has 8 XLR, 2 Instrument, and 4 line in's  plus digital in, midi in/out, and 4 outputs.   It's USB as well.   They have a newer model out though.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2016-10-12 20:47:47

Yeah, they range in price majorly. Try to avoid anything from M Audio unless if they're studio monitors. For audio interface I recommend starting with the Focusrite Scarlet series. They're great for beginners, last ages, and come in many sizes to acomidate your needs.
Good luck!

2016-10-12 21:18:19

I second the M-Audio notion.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel