2016-10-08 19:22:49

I am looking for something that allows for multiplayer card/board games across a network/internet or even on the same computer.  The reasonf ro this is because I have family that is blind and I wanted to get something going where we can all play together even if it's across the net or on the same network.    I tried to get one client that had a lot of good games, but the site was down, giving me a 404 error, so I'm assuming they no longer are around or something.   Nonetheless, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the games I am looking for are:

1,000 Miles/Millebourne
Monopoly
Uno
Skip-Bo
Rummy
Poker
Phase 10
Spades
Dominos/Moon

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2016-10-08 20:07:08

Hi G-Rad.
There are two clients for playing multiplayer games over the internet.

• the QuentinC Playroom has quite a few games, including 1000 miles, Uno, Texas Holdem Poker, Etc. There's a desktop client for windows, as well as a client you can run in your web browser.

• the RSGames client is the only compeditor to the playroom that I'm aware of. There are client versions for Windows, Mac OS and Linux. There's even an iOS app!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-10-08 21:54:52

Do either of those have visuals?  EG: If I wanted to play against/with some family, then I could and they could see what they were doing, whereas I'd use the screen reader.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2016-10-08 21:59:27

No they don't have visuals.
I forgot about the Blind Adrenaline Card Room. It's a pay to play service that costs $5.00 a month.
The card room has visuals, but the Playroom doesn't. I'm not sure if RSGames has visuals, but I doubt it.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-10-09 00:46:42

The playroom outputs a text log so your family would be able to play too.
I don't know about rs games.

2016-10-09 01:04:32

I'll also note that at least with rs games and i believe with Quntin C playroom as well you can setup an individual table for a game, so if you and your family wanted to play across the net, you could restrict the table to just you.

I'll also note that while not a client, all the stand alone versions of games like monopoly, battleships, game of life, uno  and yahtzee produced both by Jim Kitchin and spoonbill games have the option for multiplayer at the same computer.

The spoonbill site is here and Kitchinsinc is here Plus all have pages in the database too.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-09 21:25:55

I actually find myself playing a lot of Jim's games.   I don't think they have visuals, from what I understand, but still the fact that some of us could use the same computer would be a nice plus.   I downloaded the whole Kitchen's Sink package and am enjoying those.  I even made a Final Fantasy IV Monopoly Board.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2016-10-09 23:51:10

Jim's games don't have visuals, though the spoonbill ones do.
Oh and maybe the monopoly board could be put up somewhere? It's a real shame Jim died last August, but he did leave an awesome legacy, not just in his games but also in a package that installs a lot of the dependencies needed to play older titles on newer machines, indeed often when we get a "Such and such won't work on windows 10" the usual answer is "install Jim's games" big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-12 18:49:16

Hello all,

On the playroom, only chess, battleship and reversi have a very basic visual  board. All the rest is text only, but it is effectively shown on screen with a few colors. So, although probably not very appealing, a sighted person can still play.

The text outputed by RSGames isn't shown at all on screen.

A long time ago, someone tried a project similar to our gaming platforms, with an interface for both blind and sighted. It's called allinplay if I remember correctly, but I didn't hear anything from them for ages, so I assume they don't exist anymore. It was a paid service.

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2016-10-13 02:41:45

Shckingly enough, here's the site of All In Play. I'm not sure how many folks still go on there, but indeed it is still active.