2016-10-07 18:51:17

Hi.
As stated above for the topic, what is the actual difference between sending a forum E-Mail or sending a private message?
Was just curious because I have seen it on ones profile and I wasnt sure on what the difference is.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-10-07 19:34:38

If you send someone a pm, they will get a message that they can then check by going to their privat messages, on the forum. They get no nodification they got a new message, so they might not see it for some time. If you send a forum mail, that will send a mail to the mail account of the person, not on the forum. Hope that explains it.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-10-07 21:23:00

Sending mail is far better than private messaging. If you send a private message, the message  stays in the forum, that by itself isn't so bad, except that PunBB doesn't do anything to alert the member that they have a private message waiting, the message will just stay there, unread, until the member you sent it to decides to look for private messages sent to them.

If you send a mail message, the forum sends an email to the member's email address with your message in it. They are more likely to see your message that way, but you expose your own email address that way too.

I need to look into it further, but it appeared to me that if you allow mail messages to be sent to you the forum might expose your email address to any other forum member that views your profile. For security, until I know more, I turned off allowing mail messages.

2016-10-07 21:41:52

Ah ok, thanks guys for your help.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-10-07 22:48:46

It's been a while since i got a forum Mail, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't expose your Email address. Messages come in from "audiogames.net forum mailer so you don't actually see the address of the other person. You can still reply of course and the forum will take care of forwarding the messages back and forth.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>