2009-07-07 19:37:26

Well, I'm back playing Materia magica to see what I can find, and now thanks to Cx2, the stats viewing problem is fixed.

If anyone's played the game and can give me some advice, I'm on there as KRandok the dwarf.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-07-19 21:39:33

Hi Dark.  I tried that mud but got so confused i'd be willing to give it another shot. Its knowing what race to go for and where to start that it gets interesting.

2009-07-19 23:18:34

Well there is a character and race guide under reference, look for the "first class guide". It covers classes, races and class combinations. Also look at the character creation tool here to see what you will get in the way of skills and spells :
http://gizmos.aodojo.com/charbuilder.php
19 seems average for stats, while 2000 seems average for HP spell points and stamina.

You also need to type in at least these commands if you're using a screen reader:
set show-exits on
set automap off
Consider setting brief to on. Also "channel clan off" and "channel announcement off" will turn off those channels if yo're getting spammed, but you might want to turn the clan channel on if you need to ask any newbie questions. I also have compass set to off.

Haven't found a way to work out which rooms would be PK though sadly, maybe I should have left the compass on if it had some impact but as I understand it the PK rooms are indicated by a colour which isn't much use to me.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-07-19 23:41:59

I believe it's set colors off or similar, which gives a text version of colour information in the shown exits.

It says for instance: n cpk, indicating that there's a chaotic player killing room to the north.

As i said, i believe it's something in the region of set show colours off, ---- but it you can't find it I'll check.

Also, in the materia magica and Ships topic there are some hints posted about doing the quests in the newby area. I'd strongly recommend reading those sinse you literally get booted out of there at level ten whether you'vefinished the quests or not, and finishing the quests is A, fun, and B, can net you some handy items.

Cx2 an I are stil very much figuring things out ourself though I admit (there are stil several things I'm rather confused about myself).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-07-20 08:31:25

Hi Thanks for this Dark. So quest wise is there some useful info to take a look at that will tell me where to start hunting for quests. I must admit the last time I played the mud I asked a hell of a lot of questions on the clan channel and felt guilty for it. I'll take  a look at the reference and stuff and decide on a class and race to go for.

cheers.

2009-07-20 12:29:28

Well, for the newby area, there's the topic I mentioned, which has info from myself and Cx2 about doing the quests there.

once you get to level ten and out of that area things become slightly more problematic, ---- and that's in fact one of the things I'd like to find out about myself.

There are official quests given by quest masters, which are time limited tasks to go somewhere or kill something. The problem is, ---- the blasted time limit combined with the lak of useable maps to see where your actully supposed to go.

There are also miniquests as they're called which you can get by talking to npcs, ---- but one severe problem I ucurrently have is actually getting npcs to do! anything, sinse I keep running into them, get some description of how important they are, and have no idea how to trigger off what their supposed to do.

Some (like those in the newby area), will just spout out stuff when you approach them, ---- but in the game itself it seems that most won't, which is rather getting on my whick at present.

2009-07-20 20:22:02

Found it!

set show-color-alternatives on

Thank goodness.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-07-29 09:48:04

Hi.

yesterday I created an account in Materia Magica to check it out, and to see if there are any differences between Medievia and Materia Magica.
I wanna create a new topic where I write about the differences between these two muds if people are interested.

I was only logged in for one hour or so, but I leveled up to level two. Yay! smile
The mud seems to be really awesome. I wish it would show the exits at the buttom line.
I got really surprised then I found out how advanced the character creation is in this game. Damn it's cool. The only bad thing about this is that it's not very newbie friendly if you're new to muds and rpg games in general.I'm not totally new to muds and rpg games, so I didn't had any problems with that.
I'm wandering if it's possible to change the prompt in this mud so it only shows the hp and spell points? It's very anoying that Jaws reads the whole prompt each time something happens. I can't find anything about this in the help.
As I said before, the mud seems to be really awesome, and I can't wait to try it again tonight.
By the way, I'm Fidilius. What are you called? I look forward to meet you in the game.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2009-07-29 10:03:27

Sadly, there's no way of changing the promtps that I know of which is irritating, also, as I said in the other thread, the game has it's problems such as the time limited quests, rather problematic npc reactions and severe issues finding things (which wouldn't be quite as severe if the quests gave you unlimited time), and the problem with the newby area, ---- I'd deffinately! recommend you read the other thread sinse otherwise you might make the same mistake I did first off and end up leveling up but not getting the most out of the area before your booted out at level 10.

I'd like to play again, however I haven't got vip mud running on my laptop, and need a passcode for it. I'll see about contacting Gma games reguarding this.

2009-07-29 12:08:09

Hi.

Thanks for your answer. Medievia does also have time-quests which is pretty annoying.
I'll read the other thread again and check out the newbie area.
Would you be interested in a topic which discuss the differences between Materia Magica and Medievia?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2009-07-29 15:24:46

welll not specifically as I haven't played medevia, though to be honest slj, just stick it down here anyhow if it's something you think we should discuss. Even if people haven't played both muds, they could comment on the differences, or how they relate to other muds they might have played.

2009-07-30 09:02:35

I'll create this topic very soon.

Are there any donation rooms in mm where you can get weapons and armors for free? Right now I'm only fighting with my hands...
Where do you get transported to when using the recall command? when I tried, I got transported to a place which doesn't seems to be the newbie school.

Best regards SLJ.

2009-07-30 12:57:44

You should start wit a class specific weapon, ---- such as a practice sword, ujust equip that. Though there are rooms to pick up donated gear, generally you do better fulfilling the various quests in the newby area to get it.

as to the recall command, as the woman near the door of the newby school should've explained, recall takes you to the nearest temple, ---- in this case, the Shrine of saint Wise-heart in Lasler village, ---- a ways to the north east of the school.

i'd advise walking there using the highway, sine you can meet some useful npcs on the way, ----- check the info on the newby area in the other topic for details.

2009-07-30 18:16:37

If you   ever want to know exactly where recall takes you type recall list. The village is a good place to start though, especially when you have a level or two.

cx2
-----

2009-07-30 19:01:35

I use to play this game,you could buy a good weapon in the village some were.I don't no the directions to the shop though.Slj,can you tell me were can i do some quests?in medievia?I'll be starting my cha in there again.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2009-07-30 21:42:58

Thanks for your answers. I'll get more used to mm, create the mm vs. Medievia topic and let you know if I got any questions.

Best regards SLJ.

2009-07-31 00:08:30

As far  as weapons go, you can buy a sword in the shop, but there's also a monster deep in lasler caverns that drops a rather handy sword at low levels, ----- though doing the statue quest will get you a better one.

I've E-mailed david greenwood with a key request for my laptop, so hopefully I'll be back up soon.

Maybe I'll even give Medaevia a try just for the mudding experience, though I believe it is a litle more hack and slash  than I'd prefer, ----- stil, there's no harm in trying.

2009-07-31 09:16:01

Dark: Thanks a lot for your answer. I'll try the statue quest.

grryfindore: I'm sorry. I didn't saw your question.
I've noticed that there are two kinds of quests in Medievia. There might be more kind of quests, but not that I know of.
There are quests which are called "autoquests", and there are explorible places. the autoquests are quests you get when you kill guards or other enemies who are importand to the area you are in. The quests is mostly a little pease of paper the enemy have in the pockets. when you read this paper, you are given some mission objectives, and these objectives are time limited. Some quests are hard and some are pretty easy.
The explorible places is something I really like. It works as follows:
In most of the towns in the game, you can choose to explore most of the place. You are given objectives like find some importand people, find a special item and give it to someone, kill a specific enemy or find a hidden room. These kinds of quests are also pretty hard, but if you know the place you are in very well, you can do it.
You can type help autoquest and help explor to get more help.
Please let me know if yu need any help, but please ask in the Medievia topic.

Best regards SLJ.

2009-07-31 10:01:58

Once you've hit level 6 and can leave the valley you can also shop at Rune. The weapons shop there sells "a small sword" that does double the damage of the sword in the valley's shop, with perhaps a hair less accuracy. It's something like a small sword anyway, you should be able to find it from that. Seem to think it's level ten, but I can't guarantee that.

cx2
-----

2009-07-31 11:59:46

I'm currently a shaman and I'm not sure on what kind of weapons shamens are using. I think it's staffs and wans, but I'm not sure. I haven't had time to read the characters guide on the mm website yet, but I'll read it when I got more time.

Best regards SLJ.

2009-07-31 13:44:55

hi,Slj.What lv should I be in order to kill guards?
thanks
ps.where is the medeivia topik?

Follow me on twitter

2009-07-31 16:30:08

Grif, the best way to tell what you can kill is to use the consider command and to test out different things. In some games consider isn't always reliable, but in MM it seems a pretty good judge so far.

cx2
-----

2009-07-31 17:50:34

Mm has a similar quest thing, npc qest masters will give you timed objective quests which involve going somewhere, finding something or whatever, where as there are npcs or environmental features which can offer quests as well.

the problem is, the previously mentioned quests given by quest masters are timed and a right pest if you don't know the area and cannot use the blasted maps.

Sadly I seem to have forgotten my password, and so might not be able to play Krandok, my mm character for a few weeks, ---- I looked for a "forgot password" link on the website but couldn't find one, and obviously vip mud on my desktop handles the password.

Maybe I'll try medeavia myself for interest's sake.

2009-08-01 01:37:48

There was a security question on MM, but I think that is only if you manually ask for a password reset from the admins.

Also the quests might or might not run in game time rather than real time, which is 4 game mins to one real.

cx2
-----

2009-08-01 09:44:30

Hi, cx2 thanks for the answer.but I wasn't talking about mm.and yes I have used consider command in  medeivia,I was lv 14 or 17 the last I played it.but when  ever  I considered guards,it said you will need a lot power to defeat him!
so I wanted to no,what lv should I be to defeat guards?
thanks

Follow me on twitter